Ubisoft announces Ubisoft Connect; new releases will support cross-play and cross-progression

https://twitter.com/UbisoftConnect/status/1318945269241827328

What is cross-progression?
Cross-progression is a feature that allows you to carry your save data from one platform to the next. Linking your Ubisoft account to any other account will allow progression to be retained for most Ubisoft games.

What is cross-play?
Cross-play is a feature that allows you to connect online and play with your friends regardless of what platform is used. Most Ubisoft games with a multiplayer functionality aim to support this feature.

6 Likes

This is a step in the right direction. I know we’ll never get to the future where you simply buy the game and play it in whatever ecosystem you want (although with EA Play and Ubisoft’s own Play program this is technically now possible), but having my progression carry over from device to device is fantastic.

4 Likes

Yeah, while cross-progression is AMAZING, that also means that I would have to buy the same game twice to benefit from it. I would love to game on my Xbox and resume playing on my Switch using the same save, though.

Cross-play on the other hand is awesome right off the bat! And cross-play across every new game from such a big publisher as Ubisoft is definitely a megaton.

1 Like

I think what this does accomplish is it allows people to move between platforms easier. For example, if you buy the game on Xbox but then subscribe to Uplay on the PC later on, you can pick up where you left off. That matters for their time-sinks.

Conversely, if Uplay ever came to Xbox or any of these games went into Game Pass, it makes the proposition of a Playstation gamer trying the Xbox ecosystem a bit better. I hope all 3rd party devs do this. Personally speaking, losing my progression is even worse than paying for a game again. Especially if I’ve spent 40 hours in the game, it’s months after launch and those games are sold cheap.

3 Likes

Cross-progression

Oh Damn - that’s big

3 Likes

While I understand what you mean and completely agree, just a slight correction: Uplay doesn’t exist anymore. Ubisoft Club and Uplay have become Ubisoft Connect. I will edit the OP to clarify that!

2 Likes

Man, I hope EA follows along. I have 2 years of progress on Apex Legends - PS4. Losing that because I’ve switched platforms (for now) will suck big time :frowning:

2 Likes

There is a rumor that cross-progression is coming for Apex Legends alongside the Steam release of the game. Nothing confirmed, though.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification! I can’t keep up! I still say Xcloud and EA Access too. Still don’t remember the new name for Xcloud. Hard to shake the habits.

1 Like

The real question…where the fuck is Uplay+ for consoles?

1 Like

Hopefully coming to Game Pass this Holiday :smiley:

1 Like

I initially thought going by the name this was Ubisofts own E3 type event that they shall keep having from now on lol

1 Like

I doubt that. Uplay+ has new games day one and the gold edition of the games. AC Valhalla gold is going to be like 100 bucks, no way they’d give that out on Game Pass.

Yeah, I know it is unlikely. I was only playing around with the whole “Ubisoft acquisition” gossip that has been around.

1 Like

UPlay+ is $15 on PC. I would take UPlay+ on Xbox for $20 a month outside of Game Pass as I would use it for the games in which I only have interest in playing the base game as it would be cheaper than buying and trading in.

1 Like

This needs to be a standard because it’s awesome and pro-consumer. I’d double/triple dip on a lot more games if my progress carried over.

2 Likes

I just thought of something… what about trophies/achievements?

If I get every achievement on Valhalla and decide to launch the game on a PS5, will I automatically get the platinum?

I’d like to know, I may consider subbing to uplay for a month to play WDL on PC then carry on when I get XSX.

1 Like

This is amazing news and I hope all big publishers follow suit! :smiley:

Ooo Very good question. I was wondering the same thing. Like if you play on PC and do stuff that would unlock Achievements/Trophies, are they gonna pop if you play on console? Wonder how they’re gonna do that. :thinking:

1 Like

For what it’s worth, that’s how Destiny worked between X360 and Xbox One. No idea what Ubisoft’s solution will be of course.

1 Like