Trying to answer the age old question - What is an RPG?

Imagine HFW winning RPG of the year… :rofl:

This is the funny thing…the sad one is that it’s very possible. :man_facepalming:

It would somewhat annoy me a bit but i’d get over it the highest rated game of the year not being at the TGA’s was more insulting.

A little bit off topic but was in a discussion with a friend over the skype earlier and found it funny how they thought GOW2 would easily outsell Starfield, you know the new ip from acclaimed studio Bethesda, a studio whoese games break 15 mill on average.

Willing to bet (as long as it aint bonkers broken, you know more than the usual beth jank) starfield will sell plus 10 mill through steam alone.

1 Like

New IPs are harder to do that with but I’d bet lifetime it’s easy 10 million plus with tens more million on gamepass

Starfield will go past 10m but it won’t out sell GOWR.

This is not something we’ll know so it’s useless to argue about, unless Bethesda will still disclose sales for their games.

If Starfield goes past 10m within a year, I believe that they will say so. Why wouldn’t they? That would be a huge accomplishment considering the game would be on Game Pass.

Considering it’s also not cross-gen. Still, Microsoft haven’t disclosed sales since 2016? Or something. Will see if Bethesda follows suit.

Well we know Sea of Thieves sold 5m on Steam

That too. One less platform to be available on and still selling 10m would make it even bigger. That would be a huge success in my opinion and that doesn’t include what it ends up doing for Game Pass.

You’re right, SoT is probably their best selling game in the generation and that’s why they made an exception of announcing its sales on Steam. Who knows, Microsoft can appear inconsistent.

Kinda regretting bringing up that little off topic story regarding steam sales numbers now considering that last 10 or so posts haha.

On a more related note regarding the topic in question has anyone here played the Ruined King game yet, ain’t on GP but def worth the look, nice little AA class based RPG. Good entry if you want to try and get into the LOL universe without killing your insides playing the MOBA.

(thanks to who ever added an image to the topic,makes it stand out more. although dunno why but it gives me AOE vibes over RPG ones for some reason)

Haven’t played it since I have no interest in League of Legends but it was developed by Airship Syndicate who developed Battle Chasers Nightwar which was a great game so I would imagine that Ruined King is in that category as well.

Ruined King is phenomenal. It’s really flown under the radar and I’m not sure why. I wonder if Arcane overshadowed it but if you enjoy turn based RPGs you’ll love it. The art style is great as well.

True but I mean, Horizon was a new IP that sold more than 10 mill (expecting ghost of Tsushima to hit the same over the coming years), and I’d consider Starfield a much bigger game than both, expecting more by default, it would be very surprising and concerning if the game doesn’t sell that at minimum. But I don’t know how much the day 1 gamepass will affect the retail. I’m expecting retail stats because MS selectively loves that kinda thing when their games actually do well (10 million for MCC on Steam, 5 million for SoT and the like).