Trying to answer the age old question - What is an RPG?

strong agreement, playing one RPG game with 100 points on sneak and another 100 points in strength vastly changes how you the player can approach situations, i mean you could try and man mode 10 plus apponents at once in an RPG with a stealth build but good luck.

It goes back to certain games imo not really being core RPG’s, for example both eivor and aloy use an entire weapon arsenal without mastery or penalties and can stealth crouch by pressing the circle (B) button in a bush, no skill allocation or allotments needed, yet they are very loosely labelled as RPG’s. I mean you can B button stealth in both splinter cell (a stealth game) Hitman and dishonoured as well.

1 Like

looking over a lot of the responses in the topic really does show how nuanced and broad the RPG term has gotten, especially at the individual level.

Funnily i thought the three points (tenets) in the OP were pretty sound originally, but now as I still hold onto Choice and Role as the core values I have been questioning scale a lot more as it seems every friggin game under the sun has a base form of progression (XP) to keep the hooks in the player longer.

1 Like

So if Ninja Gaiden had light stealth options it would also be an action rpg? does Sekiro then count as a RPG to you? I am pretty sure it doesn’t work like that.

Dude I don’t understand you sometimes…how is having choices and consequences a stupid thing? those two could lead to a completely different playthrough between two players, how is that not cool? also it’s not only about the ending you know, you could have different allies or enemies based on your choices or even access to different merchants/items, whole quest lines opening up or losing access to them depending on your choices e.t.c.

Exactly, worthless XP and leveling up found it’s way to the mainstream AAA as a way to keep the hooks longer and probably to give “purpose” to mediocre quests/activities that are there to make the games longer.

1 Like

I think genres have become more fluid, but at their core, games have one reference genre: moder AC are still action games with rpg elements (much like HZD for example), while TW3 is a rpg with action elements. It’s a subtle difference, but it’s key to understand the difference.

Yeah, it’s one thing to say that you don’t prefer games that have them, but to call them stupid is pretty childish.

2 Likes

No, it would be an action stealth game. Sekiro is action RPG to me.

I get all that but none of it makes sense to me because it doesn’t carry over to the next game in the series. Take for example The Witcher 4, CDPR will use the ONE SINGLE main ending from TW3 that they want to use and the rest will be non-existent. So when you think about it, what’s the point in going through the same game multiple times trying to get different endings and outcomes based on different choices when none of it truly matters?

Simply, I prefer more linear RPG’s than all this other shit that honestly, doesn’t carry over to the next game, is just there to pad it out or get you to play multiple times where as for me, I replay games at times because the game itself is amazing and worth replaying, not because I can have a different outcome that may or may not carry over to the next game so for me, it’s just a waste of time.

But like I said, I think a lot of people are so fixated on what was considered an RPG decades ago that they can’t accept an HZD or AC being an action RPG because it doesn’t fit in with their mind set of decades past. It’s like console sales. So many here say that console sales don’t matter (they absolutely do) as much because of how everything else has evolved and how other metrics are used.

It’s sort of the same thing. The difference is that like with console sales and all other metrics, I include them all because they’re all matter and are important. Same with RPG’s, I consider all of the stuff talked about to be considered RPG’s whether it be an HZD, AC, Outer Worlds, Witcher, TES, whatever. Doesn’t matter. They’re all action RPG’s just so varying degrees of how much depth is in them all.

I just personally don’t like a lot of certain aspects and in some cases, I see it as a total waste of development time and player time because if stuff you’re doing in one game doesn’t carry over to the sequel, then honestly, what’s the point and purpose of it? Just to be considered “a true RPG”? LMAO.

But again, to each their own. Just like im not going to change anyone’s mind or opinion, no one is going to change mine. HFW is going to be an amazing action RPG for me and honestly, that’s all that matters. Others can love it or hate it, that’s up to them. Has nothing to do with me. This also applies to Starfield for example. And at the end of the day, I will still say that both are action RPG’s.

1 Like

On a related side note - im currently playing Nier Replicant remaster that released earlier this year. Is there anyone here that does NOT consider this to be an action RPG? Just curious.

Let’s just stop trying to fit things into boxes. When you do that, fans of the box are going to say “wtf, that doesn’t fit in the box” and you end up where we are now.

You can look at it like in music. Artists take from one multiple genres to make their own sound and the purists fans of those genres aren’t down with the hybrid down stuff being labeled as their genre. A hip hop purist is going to say Drake’s music is bullshit anf isn’t hip hop, yet he’s one of the most successful acts of all time.

Time to get over it and realize it’s a waste of time.

5 Likes

That said… image HFW winning RPG of the Year.

i'm dead smh GIF by Robert E Blackmon

1 Like

I wouldn’t be shocked or surprised if this happens. Of course, if HFW ends up winning overall game of the year, it won’t matter if it wins RPG of the year. Based on games that have a release date, I have HFW and Starfield as the two favorites for GOTY and RPG of the year.

1 Like

I mean… no offense but you are sounding like a flat earther. Sure, you can believe that HZD and AC are RPG’s, or Far Cry etc. but that is not the reality. The Earth is not flat, period. I’m sorry but your stubborness on this is annoying me, just like those people do.

Jfc.

The Earth is round, not flat. lol.

I’m sorry my stubbornness is annoying you. I feel the same when people don’t want to count HZD or AC as an action RPG yet 95% of critics and gamers do. I’m not going with the 5% because they’re well, wrong. lol.

But again, to each their own bud. :smiley:

The things you say you don’t like about RPGs are often core components of RPGs. So, maybe you just don’t like RPGs and like action games that have light RPG systems.

You can’t just say Horizon is an RPG because you feel like it is.

6 Likes

Pulling statistics out of your ass is not making you sound less like those people you know.

A game genre should probably be defined by what its core element is, or how the developers want the game to feel like. In that sense games like Dark Souls and HZD aren’t really RPGs IMO. Sure role playing is broad enough to cover pretty much every video game, but typically it means games that try to emulate the feel of pen and paper “real world” role playing.

2 Likes

tough competition against Eden ring and Starfield but it’s really not that far fetched. i’m not interested in the game but you can tell from the trailers the game improved over HZD. look like Sony put more money into it.

1 Like

I doubt voters for TGA actually know the definition of rpg, kinda like they didn’t deem worthy FH5, lol.

1 Like

Horizon Forbidden West will be a very good action game with light systems similar to one’s you’ll find in actual role playing games.

3 Likes

haha i know what he means but fr if we are talking about this scenario then it’s not impossible.