Todd Howard: Annual expansions in Starfield & Shattered Space info

9 Likes

Annual expansions! I wonder if they plan on bringing in another studio like Double 11 to take over the development of Starfield.

Maybe Starfield is Bethesda’s take on Gaas single player games more in line with Ubisoft with Assassin’s Creed.

3 Likes

It would be quite awesome to have Starfield become evergreen. Not as frequent as multiple seasons a year, but little things here and there if able to without any additional effort on the devs part as they get set for the big expansion. Having a bigger once a year expansion would be great.

7 Likes

:exploding_head: I’m still playing Starfield nearly every day and have yet to properly play any other game since it came out. I’ve dabbled here and there, but it never lasts long before I go back to Starfield. If this is the future of the game, I don’t know how I’ll ever find time to seriously play anything else ever again.

Yet, Fable, Indy, Perfect Dark, Gears… Gah! :face_with_spiral_eyes:

3 Likes

If they plan on supporting Starfield with expansion for the long term i.e. 3 years or more, then most likely they’ll bring in some sort of support studio for it, the main studio will be all hands on deck for ES6 at that stage

The setting makes it so they can pretty much do whatever they want whether it’s locations or new gameplay mechanics

It’s the perfect example of single player game you could turn into “GaaS”

1 Like

Yes please!

2 Likes

Great interview, say what you want Todd is a class act

3 Likes

More Starfield is always good.

2 Likes

Would love annual paid expansions while the rest of the year can be quality of life updates, creations and some added content from Bethesda Game Studios like Tracker’s Alliance.

1 Like

Sounds good. Starfield is going nowhere from my hard drive lol.

1 Like

That was a great interview.

Love hearing the average play time and number of players to date. It’s such a a slap in the face to all of the negativity it’s so easy to run into online.

5 Likes

Handcrafted FTW

Watched the entire interview last night. Great interview by Matty who’s a huge Bethesda Game Studios, Obsidian, InXile and BioWare fan.

Was already into the Shattered Space expansion but even more so now. One world, hand crafted, let’s go!!! If there’s some really good side quests in there along with the story quests which sounds like it could be really good, we’ll be in for a treat.

5 Likes

Was anyone doubting that the quest would be hand crafted content? Because the only time we go into a POI during the main questline is when recovering artifacts. Even then it’s not a lot.

2 Likes

I assume we can jump into this expansion without completing the base game?

it’s most likely a quest added in to the base game and wouldn’t require new game +

Well, an entire planet that’s a handcrafted mini-Skyrim style map would be new for the game. Only the cities and dungeons in the base game are handcrafted, not the surrounding environments.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I’ve read they used a similar tool to generate Skyrims map before hand crafting everything they wanted on of that map.

2 Likes

They do, Todd even mentioned FO76, hell all open world games to, ussually using houdini etc

But the difference here is instead of generated with a poi spawner, the whole thing will be more handcrafted

1 Like

Right… even though the same terrain generation tools might be used, I don’t think many people would argue that the final result of Jemison or Akila is much like Skyrim.

The Va’ruun homeworld sounds like it’s going to be an entire map where the geographical features, structures, and other POIs are all deliberately placed. That’s what is meant by handcrafted.

1 Like