The six nominees for GOTY at TGA revealed - No place for Forza Horizon 5, Psychonauts 2 and Deathloop nominated

Looking forward to The Game Awards. Hoping to see a bunch of current generation only games get announced.

Psychonauts 2 winning it all baby

1 Like

I’m skipping it no interest in it as long as there’s a certain level of bias probably will just watch the higher quality trailers after the show also let’s be real rather be playing halo infinite campaign lol

1 Like

That was before voting was supposed to be finished, contrary to what it is stated in the image. If it wins now it will look rather suspicious no matter how ya slice it. I’m assuming it is a bug on the site and that it’s just for the public’s voting, which has no material effect on the actual outcome. For Geoff’s sake, R&C best not win lest whatever confidence anyone still has in his awards will go out the window.

3 Likes

so if halo comes out and scores really well and you have the game awards without halo and forza being considered for game of the year this year is pretty much null and void for me with them.

2 Likes

Really excited to see that Avatar game from Ubisoft, looks really dope to me

1 Like

Yeah makes the whole show look like a farce.

But what if Ratchet legitimately wins? They can’t remove or change it just because it looks bad. That would be worse than if it was actually rigged.

I only want Ratchet to win because RE 8 was disappointing and the other four games are of no interest to me so I would prefer to see the game that as of now, is my current game of the year. Only Halo Infinite can beat out Ratchet for me as there’s no other game that has the chance to do so.

As for confidence in TGA, if there weren’t any game reveals, gameplay trailers and big announcements, no one would be watching it anyway so regardless of what happens, nothing will hurt TGA because the awards isn’t why people are watching. It’s simply a marketing tool/gimmick to promote a lot of the current year’s games and to build up future games.

Spitter420

1 Like

I don’t think anyone should be butt hurt at GOTY nominees winning said award lol.

1 Like

You wouldn’t know it by going through this entire topic. lol.

In general, whatever wins wins. If I get some awesome gameplay reveals and trailers, It Takes Two could win for all I care since all I would be talking about are the trailers as opposed to the awards themselves.

Lets Go GIF by Regal

1 Like

Yep

1 Like

I thought Halo being released on December 8th means it’s within the eligibility window for next year’s award, not this year’s. Agreed on Forza, that not getting a GOTY nomination is odd.

The issue is there’s no way to have a legit win for R&C now because of what happened. The damage is done there, which is unfair assuming it was just a bug. It likely won’t matter anyhow since R&C has almost no chance of actually winning, but still.

And ppl watching the show is not the only reason for having awards. Devs and pubs rely on the show for mainstream recognition of their efforts. That is purportedly the reason the show exists.

I am not sure you understand what happened here wrt what we are discussing. While voting was still ongoing, the website listed a ‘final results’ page saying R&C, a game that has basically no chance of actually winning that category, listed as the winner and saying voting was closed when it wasn’t.

Given the credibility issue wrt the FH5 stuff (aka deceptive deadlines that contradict each other and screw some titles over unfairly) the perception that GotY is “rigged” in favor of Sony games (the perception is independent of reality, mind you) is damning to the show’s supposed purpose. Yes, nobody watches for the awards other than devs typically, but they deserve recognition for their work in a legitimate, mainstream venue imho.

3 Likes

FH5 got snubbed due to the process being deceptive. Games are supposedly ‘eligible’ if releasing prior to 19th, but official ballots are due by 5th-6th. Since outlets generally vote among their editors, and since most require editors to have played the games they nominate, and given that most are not comfortable unless they had a good amount of time to sink into what they pick, that sets up a broken link in the process.

It effectively means games will not be nominated unless the outlets get lots of codes for the final game at the end of October. Anything after that is too late to have any realistic chance of being considered unless outlets just make guesses and nominate things based on expectations without playing the game first, which then positions outlets to lean into their biases and results in even worse credibility issues.

Next year Starfield will fall into the window where outlets will either have to guess it will be good and nominate it w/o playing much or any of it, or, it will get snubbed despite releasing well before the supposed deadline for game releases.

Halo is not eligible this year in any form. Next year nobody will consider nominating it either since outlets see it was a 2021 game. It already is being snubbed here by somehow not being among the candidates for ‘most anticipated game’, despite being more hyped and sought after than basically any of the nominees. The whole process is a shit show here.

5 Likes

I mean maybe it’s a bug, I saw screenshots of people showing they saw Metroid as the winner of the GOTY as well.

There’s never going to be an awards show that gets it right, it’s like that across the entire entertainment business, not just the gaming awards. It sucks but I don’t think developers are losing sleep over it.

The fact that most of us knew Forza wouldn’t get nominated for GOTY shows how we shouldn’t take it that seriously in the first place.

It very likely is a bug. My point though is that the credibility issues are piling up for the TGA’s regardless if it is a bug or not. And devs care more about this than you guys realize. AIAS does a much better job wrt their awards process but are not mainstream. The results aren’t what matters so much as having a proper procedure for choosing winners.

I think gamers are struggling to see how the awards work from the pov of dev teams. Dev teams are a lot less interested in what is shown since many times they know about it already or have heard about it or are working on those games as is. Dev teams want to stand on a stage and accept something celebrating their accomplishments in front of 80mil viewers.

I’m fine with gamers not caring, but I do think there should be something genuinely celebrating dev accomplishments every year that is mainstream. That is the purported reason for the show in the first place and regardless of why gamers like us tune in, it is fair to criticize the credibility of a show pretending to be built around dev accomplishments when procedures for voting screw some teams over.

2 Likes

All fair points, and you’re probably right that it means more to the devs then I think it does.

I guess the best option would be moving it to February or March ? Instead of airing it 2 weeks after the busiest month in gaming.

1 Like

Thanks for laying all that out. I wasn’t aware of those intricacies, so I appreciate you enlightening me.

It’s my understanding that having this event after Christmas would make it much less attractive for advertisers, to the point where it would either have to be scaled back significantly, or not take place at all. So I fear we’re stuck with it at this time of year for the foreseeable future, even if I agree that from an awards perspective it would make a lot more sense to have it early in the new year, much like all other major entertainment awards.

1 Like