The Series X seems to be in steady supply right now. A blip or trend?

Not important but this made me chuckle from the article “…such as the much-anticipated Ring of Eldon”

2 Likes

NPD provide the data if you pay for their reports.

5 Likes

It used to be a common occurrence that gaming news sites would report the NPD numbers on the regular. I haven’t really followed this stuff since the 360 days, but for sure that used to be a thing.

I guess they don’t anymore.

edit: I’m talking about reports like this one, from February 2010, where they report very specific hardware sales numbers:

Below is total U.S. hardware sales for the month:

• Xbox 360 - 422.0K
  • Wii - 397.9K
  • PlayStation 3 - 360.1K
  • PlayStation 2 - 101.9K
  • Nintendo DS - 613.2K
  • PSP - 133.4K
2 Likes

Did NPD release result yet?

The march ones arent out yet. Which is baffling considering were 2/3rds into April.

Maybe they’re scared to trigger Sony fans. I’m kidding, but seriously, what is taking them long. Either today or tomorrow, or something must be wrong.

Yeah, they changed their policies and cracked down on leaks. Sad but understandable.

2 Likes

They will release numbers on the 26th next week (which coincides with MS earnings report)

2 Likes

It’s finally out to get without subscription paywall.

9 Likes

This generation is very hard to predict right now, I feel like this early on with them still being so close a huge exclusive will change the trajectory in the US and UK, likely Starfield will give Xbox a huge boost later this year in the US and maybe UK, I remember in September of 2014 the PS4 having a huge month and that was with the Destiny marketing alone as the game was a multiplat, Starfield will be exclusive and I believe that will have similar hypes once the marketing machine starts running this summer.

Holy shit Nintendo was on fire back then and holy shit the PS2 selling 100K units 4 years after the PS3’s launch, that’s amazing.

The wii was heavily front loaded. But fell off a cliff post 2010. Ive never seen a console drop off so much. Mind you the system itself was abysmal. So once the fad wore off noone wanted one.

1 Like

Interstingly, after FY11 they had sold 75 million units in four years (Source) and while i agree that it dropped off, i think they’d sold all that they could to everyone that wanted one, to a degree.

What is more wild is that the Switch hasn’t had a drop off at all.

1 Like

I think that’s down to the appeal and popularity of portable gaming, something Nintendo was seeing time and again with their Gameboy and DS product lines. So you can kind of see how it was almost inevitable that Nintendo would end up with something like the Switch.

By the time the seventh generation came about, Nintendo hadn’t had the top-selling console since gen four and the SNES. So they pivoted and came up with the Wii, and thereby stopped participating in the traditional horse race centered around bits, pixels, and power. And that proved to be a huge success, albeit as @ShinMegamiTenseiX pointed out, it was a fad-based success and as a result the attach rate suffered.

Then came the eighth gen and the colossal failure that was the Wii U, easily Nintendo’s worst selling console of all time.

Through all this Nintendo’s handheld business kept being King of the hill, outselling the competition seemingly without breaking a sweat. So why not pivot again? Why not take that weird little Wii U controller and utilize their world-class handheld know-how, and create a sort of portable console hybrid thing?

It makes total sense, and it’s a really fascinating story. At some point I’m sure someone will write an in-depth book about the whole thing. Nintendo Magic by Osamu Inoue only goes up to the Wii, but maybe there’ll be a second edition with the last couple of generations covered.

4 Likes

But why would it? Software still coming out on a regular basis including 3rd party support. Wii was on life support with its software sales and even big games skipped or got delayed in NA.

And switch is a just a more appealing console period due to hybrid. Wii was well and truly outdated and done by its 4th and 5th year. Had no appeal left whatsoever.

Wii u selling as bad as it did was partially due to how little people cared about the wii brand by 2012.

Nintendos biggest mistake with wii u was putting the wii title in there

Noone asked for another wii or wii like console. And people thought it was an add on.

1 Like

BestBuy still has Series X available using their online process.

Microsoft Series X with 3 months of GamePass Ultimate still in stock .

Most other places now only have the AllAccess for Series X.

The Series S continues to be available nearly everywhere.

1 Like

Still waiting on NPD. At this rate, Microsoft will be out first, though it will be interesting to know more about hardware chip supply.

3 Likes

All this talk about VGchartz being frauds and Aaron is out here endorsing them :sob:

Either that number is accurate or Aaron is talking out of his ass.

2 Likes

He isn’t making a claim on the accuracy of the numbers

4 Likes

That number is an absolute lower bounds estimate. The real number could be vastly higher.

There is nothing in Greenbrgs tweet that is an endorsement of VGChartz nor does it speak to its accuracy.

4 Likes