The Series X seems to be in steady supply right now. A blip or trend?

He isn’t making a claim on the accuracy of the numbers

4 Likes

That number is an absolute lower bounds estimate. The real number could be vastly higher.

There is nothing in Greenbrgs tweet that is an endorsement of VGChartz nor does it speak to its accuracy.

4 Likes

Maybe they got the general trend vs. 360 right, Series is doing very good and that is what he’s commenting on. Not the numbers per se.

7 Likes

I think Nick is right when he said Xbox will use “leaks” to talk about Xbox sales and not give out official numbers

1 Like

Anyways, actual sales numbers and VGCharts is entirely off topic. This topic is about stock and product availability.

Any further posts about actual sales or VGChartz will be met with aggressive flagging. Post and reply wisely.

Heres one topic that is suitable for VGCharts and Sales:

Didn’t Xbox 360 sell 10m worldwide in it’s first 12 months or is that incorrect?

1 Like

A reply to this tweet if anyone is interested

https://twitter.com/TrunksWD/status/1517290559961976833

https://twitter.com/TrunksWD/status/1517290825201422336

Edit: I scrolled up and saw BRiT’s message. Sorry.

Did NPD fall asleep?

tweets should be up tomorrow.

Edit: … Or the 26th

26th

The Series X has now fallen out of the top 100. The S is in 64th place, Switch in 25th and PS5 also didn’t make the list.

Lots of Xbox Series controllers outside of the top 10 in the 12, 13, 15, 16, 45 and 50 spots. PS5 controllers are in the 20 and 36 spots. And the Switch in 24 and 38. Interestingly there’s a couple of PS4 controllers there too, in the 17, 30, and 43 slots. Speaks to the continued popularity of the PS4.

I report these controller numbers because I think it speaks to the general prevalence of their parent consoles. At least for Xbox and PlayStation. The Switch coming with two controllers, and being a different beast altogether, makes its controller sales less interesting.

Top 10:

I’m curious about the gift card situation. If you click on any of them, they’re offered in various denominations. But the product titles in the list show $10 for PlayStation, $100 for Xbox, and $20 for Nintendo. I wonder if that’s just a quirk of how they’re entered in Amazon’s database, or if it’s reflecting the most popular denomination sold. I’m suspecting the former, but if it’s the latter that’s a nice little side gig for Xbox.

Full list: Amazon.ca

2 Likes

Did some sleuthing, and I actually think it’s the latter. If you search for gift cards for either company, each denomination has its own store listing with a unique ASIN*, but with the functionality of changing the denomination from within the listing.

So either Xbox is selling $100 gift cards at a rate that puts them in third place on the top 10, or people are clicking on that listing, but changing the denomination before they check out. Unless something happens on the back-end, it seems the ASIN stays the same even if you do change the denomination.

It seems unlikely to me that a significant number of people would first choose the $100 listing and then change it, instead of just choosing the proper listing the first time around. Especially since a simple search of “Xbox gift card” doesn’t put $100 at the top of the search, but rather in the fifth position.

So, yeah… It would appear to me that Xbox players receive way more generous gifts than either PlayStation or Nintendo players. Which is weird, and makes me wonder if I’m overlooking something. Or maybe it has to do with their differing demographics.

*ASIN = Amazon Standard Identification Number

1 Like

The numbers are not accurate. But Series consoles outpacing 360 clearly is. Hence why he tweeted it.

If it was completely wrong. He wouldn’t reply to that

No reason to think the #s aren’t accurate.

“VGchartz” = enough reason to think the numbers are not accurate. Don’t take their RT’s as endorsments of the numbers, they’ve RT’ed them before just saying thank you to fans. Then VGchartz turned around and “revised” their guesses after the fact.

5 Likes

Still I believe that the sales gap this gen is much better than last gen.

Absolutely, no reason not to but VGchartz and their made up guesses are a useless metric.

Of course it is. Last gen xbox one was weaker…more expensive and had far less games.

Its not completely useless when they post actual data from japan and certain european countries.

People can criticise them all they want. There isnt an alternative.

1 Like