The Real Time Strategy Thread [OT] Starcraft, Warcraft, Age of Empires, Halo Wars and C&C!

Not entirely agreeing on this one. The supply buildings do have an impact on gameplay beyond being time sinks/extra macro.

Yesterday I saw a match between DeMuslim and TheViper in AoE4, where one of the players was focusing the supply buildings. This is even more so the case in Warcraft III where building times are longer and supply buildings have a low amount of hitpoints.

Besides that it’s often times the supply buildings whch gives players the opportunity to do interesting base layouts.

1 Like

Houses in AOE4 have aesthetic appeal. I think they have a place. Perhaps instead of needing a villager to be built, houses can build houses nearby, sort of like how creep tumors work in SC2.

There is so much going on in AOE4 in mid / late game that I feel like it’s to the detriment of the game. It has the complexity of SC2 tactically, but with a far more complicated macro.

As for the strategical implications of supply buildings, i feel like it’s one of a million things to consider in an RTS, and imo reducing the cognitive load, especially in the mid and late game, would be a better experience overall. In my WCIV example, I did rather the players fight each other over neutral creeps, than over their farms, burrows and gold mines, etc.

1 Like

It lives!?

3 Likes

Warcraft and Starcraft are simplistic. AoE and AoM are more elaborate especially on town and economy building.

This looks quite good… Excited for D4 in general, but thr prospect of that engine being used elsewhere in xbox’s first party ip is quite mouthwatering.

I wont mind Wasteland 4 or even AoE and AoM in this engine.

The key challenge to solve though in a large scale rts like AoM or AoE or even W4 or the next Starcarft is just the sheer number of fighting units that are live!

1 Like

The streams where TheViper and Grubby play Northgard, Warcraft III and Age of Empires II are a lot of fun. Nice to see two legends in the genre making this kind of content together.

1 Like
4 Likes

hopefully releases soon it has that C&C vibes plus it old school rts with base building and big armies hopefully and not the hero bs which is nice but this i prefer more

4 Likes

Just announced, looks promising!

2 Likes

I was secretly hoping Petroglyph was working on Command and Conquer again :cry:

This looks like complete chaos :smiley:

I dig it. (see what I did there)

Broken Arrow Multiplayer test is live

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1604270/Broken_Arrow/

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1604270/view/4020094004252227986?l=english

1 Like

Don’t think we did a news post about this:

New Year, New Age Livestream Coming February 23rd - Age of Empires

Here on the Age of Empires team, we’ve got a LOT lined up for 2024. Instead of trying to summarize it in a lengthy blog post, we decided to make a show of it! We’re excited to announce the “New Year, New Agelivestream on February 23rd at 10:00 am PT (1:00 pm ET / 18:00 UTC).

With so much to come in 2024, we want to show our players around the world what to expect from the Age of Empires franchise this year. We’ll be revealing more information on some of our most anticipated titles for 2024 – so expect to see a sneak peek of Age of Mythology: Retold and a first look at Age of Empires Mobile. If you’re eager to know what’s next for our games already in your library, don’t worry, we’ll have updates for those titles too.

• Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition : We’ll reveal a brand-new campaign-focused expansion and an extended look at exclusive gameplay.
  • Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition : After giving our players a new way to play for free in 2023, we are excited to reveal a new DLC with new civilizations.
  • Age of Empires IV: Coming off our best-selling expansion ever with The Sultans Ascend, we will share updates on an upcoming brand-new season and a new in-game reward.
  • Age of Empires Mobile: TiMi Studio Group, the award-winning developer, will share a first-time look at gameplay and give us a behind the scenes look into their studio. The team will share their passion for Age of Empires and their vision to bring the franchise to new and existing fans alike.
  • Age of Mythology: Retold: The team will take us behind the curtain in the studio to show how they are developing this beloved game for a new, modern experience. Fans can expect a unique unveiling of a few mythological creatures that you won’t want to miss.

Especially this sentence is interesting: We’ll be revealing more information on some of our most anticipated titles for 2024 – so expect to see a sneak peek of Age of Mythology: Retold and a first look at Age of Empires Mobile .

2024 AoM Retold?? Yey.

4 Likes

6 Likes
4 Likes

No more Info on aoe Iv or aom.?

Writing a news post for the site, give me a minute :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Age of Mythology looks great! And happy it comes to XBox day 1. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Does Stellaris from Paradox also count, or is that more 4X?

I must admit I get confused between all the sub-genres.