The Real Problem with Xbox First Party

Moved goal posts, double standards… unfortunately it’s the reality. If everyone worked purely off logic we wouldn’t argue about most of the stuff we argue about.

People act off emotion and people have a generally positive view of Sony’s output (built over years of trust/execution) and a generally negative view of Xbox’s output. This is true even within our own community and is going to color many of these discussions a certain way.

Xbox just has to climb itself out of that situation through consistent quality first party output.

8 Likes

Like I said in a different thread the reason why its easier to deal with Sony’s first party release gaps is due to timed deals or games that skip Xbox. With Sony you’re guaranteed Japanese games and last gen they were able to make bog timed exclusive deals. Also, to start thus gen they were able to make some key timed or console exclusive indie deals Like with stray, kena, Sifu, etc. also they seemed to have locked in on some Asian studios which will help hide gaps in first party content

2 Likes

Both Microsoft and Sony have had gaps. Let’s look at them -

Microsoft

• Gears Tactics (November 2020)
  • Flight Simulator (July 2020, 7 month gap)
  • Forza Horizon 5 (November 2021, 3 month gap)
  • Halo Infinite (December 2021, no gap)
  • As Dusk Falls (July 2022, 6 month gap)
  • Pentiment (November 2022, 3 month gap)

Psychonauts 2 is a multi-platform game as is Deathloop so they obviously get excluded. Age of Empires IV was a PC only release which does nothing for Xbox owners. I don’t include games that were released prior to the current generation. It has to be from November 2020 when both console platforms launched and beyond.

Total is 6 games. Including December 2022, this is a 20 month combined gap going into 2023.

Sony

• Marvel’s Spider Man: Miles Morales (November 2020)
  • Sackboy: A Big Adventure (November)
  • Destruction All Stars (February 2021, 2 month gap)
  • Returnal (April 2021, 1 month gap)
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (June 2021, 1 month gap)
  • Horizon Forbidden West (February 2022, 7 month gap)
  • Gran Turismo 7 (March 2022, no gap)
  • God of War Ragnarok (November 2022, 7 month gap)

Not including MLB The Show 21/22 as it’s a multi-platform game. No timed console exclusives have been included on either side.

Total is 9 games. Including December 2022, this is a 19 month combined gap going into 2023.

Overall, it’s only a 1 month difference between the two but the reason why Microsoft gets the heat is because 2022 was supposed to be the year that it finally all came together and obviously, that didn’t happen so for a lot of people out there, it’s just more waiting and more of the same as before.

For 2023, excluding PSVR 2 as that’s an add-on platform that requires a purchase. Sony as of now only has confirmed Marvel’s Spider Man 2 which I believe will be November 2023. I’m personally expecting Stellar Blade and Lost Soul Aside from Sony in 2023 as well as multi-player games Helldivers 2 and TLOU Factions. On the Microsoft side, they’ve confirmed Redfall, Minecraft Legends, Starfield, Forza Motorsport and Ara.

The tricky part is - do you include remasters like Age of Empires which are 20 year old games? Because if so, then you have to include Spider Man 2018, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima and TLOU Part 1. I find it a lot easier to just not include them.

But it all is what it is.

4 Likes

Very good post that some won’t be able to grasp. I like that you don’t include certain games. I see people posting Ghost Warrior Tokyo(or whatever it is) like bruh…that’s already been out. Or like you said, the remasters or PC release first. Anyway, again great post.

1 Like

You forgot GROUNDED which officially released this last September. And I don’t want to hear about its Early Access was 2020, didn’t stop DREAMS being called a 2020 game .

If TLOU factions counts as a seperate game, then its only fair that Xbox games with multiplayer be counted twice. 3 times for Halo because Forge.

Well you either need to remove Demons Soul or add in TLOU Pt 1.

And then you’d have to add in all of the Xbox re-dos, (Sea of Thieves, Forza Horizon 4, Gears 5 etc) and every single FPS boost game.

1 Like

Thank you. Appreciate it.

Dreams is last generation so doesn’t matter and so is Grounded. Early Access or not, once it’s released and you’re asking for money, sorry, it’s not my fault they went that route.

Forge isn’t a game though. It’s a mode. There’s a difference. There’s one Halo Infinite multi-player component and it released a few weeks before the campaign but it’s still the same game. Factions like Horizon online will be it’s own game especially when you factor in that there will be a narrative story in Factions.

Demon’s Souls unlike TLOUP1 though is a remake. Like Dead Space, like Resident Evil. TLOUP1 is a remastered upscaled port. Huge difference between that and Demon’s Souls 2020. Even if I eliminated Demon’s Souls, it doesn’t change anything.

I don’t add in any of these games. Why why I add FPS Boosted games? They’re not even remasters. Come on man. You’re literally trying to pad the Xbox list which considering they only have a gap of one month more than Sony, I don’t see the point.

What’s next? You’re going to add the Backwards Compatible games? lol

3 Likes

"Here’s why these games don’t count "

4 Likes

According to the devs its only just released. Unless you’re saying you are the authority to override the words of the developers. In which case…

Well that’s ok. As you’ve declared it’s ok to dismiss Factions and Horizons Online because I am the authority on declaring TLoU 2 and Forbidden West early access versions of those “modes”.

Halo Infinites campaign and multiplayer are suites were released seperately no? Two seperate release dates no? So how come its only one entry on your list of Xbox games but you absolutely insist that isn’t the case for Factions?

It’s one less game. Although I find it interesting you’d DS a remake when it’s just a texture pack. You know they remade all the assets in AoE 2 too, but that’s under scrutiny …because

I’m just saying your definitions are broad, you can’t say “here’s why Death Stranding should count” when

1. You’re happy to take games from 2018 as current gen, but not GROUNDED.
  2. The original Spider Man 2018, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima are all “pay to upgrade”, confirming they are indeed old games
  3. You’re happy to take resolution upgrades as new content, but not framerate.

LOL And trying to count Forbidden West twice because they couldn’t get a multiplayer mode out with the proper game isn’t?

Unless you want to remove Demon Souls, you leave little choice. You should try to be more unbiased and even handed.

I know right. This is why we have to be vigilant, the rules apply to Xbox but not Playstation when it suits. i.e. “when the PS5 has less games adding a new mode is a new game”

1 Like

So what were people playing for the last 2+ years because im certain it was Grounded?

There’s a difference. Those are separate games releasing years later. Halo’s MP mode released a month before the campaign and other modes should have been there at launch. Huge difference between standalone games and modes. I didn’t include Burning Shores and I don’t count expansions.

Okay, fine. I’ll remove Demon’s Souls. Doesn’t change anything though. It’s still a 20 to 19 month gap respectively.

As for Age of Empires, it’s not 2023 so I don’t know why you’re adding this if I said through 2022. But it does look great so if you want to count it, then okay, fine by me.

To make it simple - im NOT adding any of them so it doesn’t matter. I’m only going based on games released from November 10th, 2020 for Xbox Series and November 12th, 2020 for PlayStation 5. Anything released prior doesn’t count on both sides because at that point, how far back are you going to go? lol

There’s a huge difference between a separate mode and a separate game. Plus, Horizon online co-op game is said to be stylized like Immortals Fenyx Rising and Genshin Impact so how could that not be a separate game? When Halo Infinite’s battle royale comes out, it’s going to be treated as a separate game so see, you have the same issue on both sides.

I did remove Demon’s Souls because it changes nothing. You’re literally arguing and getting mad at what is literally a ONE month gap difference. Come on man. Considering that Microsoft hasn’t released an AAA exclusive first party title for all of 2022 and to still only have a one month gap is pretty fucking good in my eyes.

3 Likes

Grounded in early access.

“Various pre-release development cycles”

According to who? Last I checked we live in an age of added modes and content and GAAS.

So like Forge and Halo Co-Op. So I can count 3 times correct?

So if multiplayer should be there at launch…why should we count Forbidden West at all if you’re only going to count it again when it does finally release.

You stated if AoE2 was counted, other BC games with performance patches would also count.

Well if we can’t include Early Access games that release now, we definitely can’t include games released without campaign, or games released without multiplayer. I mean you’re asking for money, sorry, it’s not my fault they went that route.

Bare in mind, i’m not stating one way or the other. We can include those multiplayer releases if you like, but you’re damned if I’m going to let the Playstation list be padded with performance patches and “late release modes” when Xbox largely includes them as basic functionality regardless.

I don’t believe anyone has claimed it’ll be a seperate game. It’s supposed to fit into Infinite as is. A seperate mode.

Dude, you win. I’m not going to argue with you.

3 Likes

I don’t blame you. I think we might have found an Xbox Cultist. :wink:

Hahaha. Yeah, maybe. lol