The Real Problem with Xbox First Party

Cool. Works out fine for Xbox I guess as now we have to count games with multiplayer twice.

@Troll all on you. But seriously I don’t think it’s that bad because some stuff are missing.

For example:

• Xbox Series needed some games and to show Fable and other games was the right decision. You can’t show a new console without showing anything. Xbox new acquired studios released all their games already and need time to make new games. And show nothing would be worse than show future game releases.

• Everwild’s creative director left, so it needed a reboot.

• Coaltion, Turn10 and another studio helped with Halo.

• Turn10 made a new engine.

Overall I’m relaxed. In 2017 the whole Xbox situation was bleak. I’m not trying to make Super Lucky’s Tale look bad, but this game should not be one of your highlight games in 2017.

3 Likes

Yes and no. You can’t show a new console without showing games, but showing games that won’t come for 4-5 post launch and being mostly radio silent on those titles since announcement was the wrong move. Game dev is tricky and can take time, but announcing a game and then silence is the wrong move as well. Especially in a year like this past one.

I know for me and others patience has started to wear our cause we always head “soon things will be great” but soon is never soon.

Which is why I am adamant that 2023 will be a make a break year for the brand in the public eye. Deadfall and Starfield need to stick the landing, they need more communication about games coming soon, and they need to show what’s for sure coming in 2024.

Fuck it, I’ll bite.

Bend Studio: Uncharted Golden Abyss 2011 → Days Gone 2019. 8 years.

Bungie: 5 years since Destiny 2. But if we count expansions, then Rare should be fine too.

Bluepoint: Shadow of the Colossus 2018 - Demon’s Souls 2020. 2 years. Remake.

Firesprite: The Persistence 2018 → Horizon Call of the Mountain. 5 Years.

Guerrilla: Horizon Zero Dawn 2017 → Horizon Forbidden West 2022. 5 Years. 360+ Employees.

Housemarque: Matterfall 2017 → Returnal 2021. 4 years.

Insomniac: Not even gonna bother. Really efficient at getting releases out.

London Studio: Smaller games yearly was the default but we are coming up on 4 years without a release as they restructure and work on their GAAS.

Media Molecule: Tearaway 2013 → Dreams 2020. 7 years.

Naughty Dog: 4 years between major releases with smaller games in between.

PixelOpus: Entwined 2014 → Conrete Genie 2019. 5 years.

Polyphony: 4.5 years (5 calendar) between GT Sport and GT7.

San Diego: Yearly on MLB.

SSM: just shy of 5 years between GoW and GoW Ragnarok. GoW itself was 5 years from Ascension.

Sucker Punch: Infamous Second Son/Last Light 2014 → GoT 2020. 6 years.

Asobi: 2 years between Astro games.

None of this is to disparage Sony. They have done very well. But take into account Covid, staffing up significantly, pre existing contracts and more, and MS’s position starts to make more sense.

12 Likes

Top tier post. Really shows the real problem with Sonys first party.

2 Likes

While I agree with you in general, Housemarque did release three games between April 2016 and August 2017. Alienation, Nex Machina and Matterfall. They were also mid-development on Stormdivers which has been put on hold indefinitely due to them reaching a deal with Sony to develop Returnal as a PlayStation 5 console exclusive. So since April 2016, Housemarque still released four games in a five year span which let’s be honest, is pretty damn good and very efficient.

Main reason why the gaps for Sony’s studios don’t impact them as much as say Microsoft is because they always have timed console exclusives to fill out the gaps which Microsoft rarely does anymore.

P.S. - Insomniac Games is fucking awesome. Love Insomniac!! My favorite PlayStation studio by far!!

3 Likes

Bloody steal, that purchase.

2 Likes

COVID took 3 years of typical development away.

“We all understand but”

If there is a “but” then no you don’t understand.

2 Likes

Also, when there are bigger gaps in first party output for Sony (like from June 2021 to February 2022) people don’t freak out because they recently released big games and there is consistency and expectation of big games coming. Xbox hasn’t achieved that consistency yet so they don’t get the benefit of the doubt.

3 Likes

So moving goalposts then?

Ha. The PS5 had a 8 month period of no first party games at all. Thats not consistancy. Thats a drought.

What we have here is actually a double standard.

4 Likes

Do you?

I don’t disagree with you. But when Sony has a drought, they can point to the many big AAA games they released before that and basically say “you know we’re good for it”. Xbox can’t use that as a defense right now. They got a pass for the first half of 2022 because they had a banger second half of 2021 and the second half of 2022 was looking great at first. The discontent didn’t start until the delays were announced.

Sony is almost certainly about to have a drought in early 2023 (PSVR2 notwithstanding) but no one will care because they just released a GOTY candidate.

4 Likes

Except that they arent because theres literally nothing until spider-man 2. 10 months away!

Sure they can.

No they didn’t.

No. They have a drought for certain. Its just playstation fanboys have short memories or just straight up troll with a double standard.

As you yourself are saying, you can dismiss droughts for any reason because you’ve delivered before.

1 Like

FF16 and Forspoken

5 Likes

Has to be first party. No excuses. Unless theres even more goalpost moving to be done.

5 Likes

And Horizon: Call of the Mountain and the Burning Shores DLC for Forbidden West. So not literally nothing.

3 Likes

DLCs are lineups now? So Sea of Thieves, Halo and Forza just had all new releases.

And if you want to include a VR game that no PS5 owner can play without another $600 investment thats fine, I will assume that means Pentiment, Grounded and As Dusk Falls actually can’t be dismissed so easily. Just cos.

4 Likes

I’m not making this argument. I’m as pro Xbox as it gets. I’m just saying this is what people will say.

4 Likes

They always will move the goalposts, that’s just how those folks operate.

7 Likes