The Game Awards 2023 |

I feel like game devs and gamers deserve better than this constantly-obvious shilling and hatred of one platform “because reasons”,

No matter how many examples of the obvious bias, you’ll still have people sit here and try to gaslight us into thinking that Xbox causes cancer and literally everything Sony makes is gold. Sony doesn’t even have the best stories in gaming ffs; there is a difference in how a story is presented (production values, etc.) and the actual quality/originality of the story and I don’t think a medium aping another form of media constitutes as anything worth talking about when we have examples of games with better stories and better presentation that actually leverages the unique elements of gaming as a means of storytelling.

13 Likes

Octopath snubbed and Chained Echoes > Sea of Stars

7 Likes

Sorry to see Starfield not make the list, but I get it. All of those games were extremely well recieved and I guess Starfield was more polarizing.

As snubs go, Forza Horizon 5 felt like a much larger one than this. :man_shrugging:

9 Likes

Starfield is not a snub tbh because this was one of the toughest years ever. However, Spider-man 2 doesn’t belong in a GOTY list imo

11 Likes

But didn’t you know ? People hadn’t enough play time to put in into the GOTY list, but enough to put it into the racing/sport list. :clown_face:

7 Likes

I guessed 3 out 6 correctly. Pretty bad prediction!

I’m surprised by Mario just because I thought the industry wouldn’t nominate a 2d game unless it is an indy. On that note, where’s the token small indy game!

I’m still a little rustled about it tbh. :sweat_smile: Racing games get no respect.

3 Likes

I sure as hell remember that excuse, but Spidey releasing only 19 days apart from Forza Horizon 5 definitely makes that excuse even more flimsy.

9 Likes

Says a lot about gaming in 2023 when all 6 nominees are old IPs. Nominating a remake too will never sit right with me.

10 Likes

Great list. Goes to show how amazing this year was for games, what a special year. I wish a smaller budgeted game got one of the slots but it is what it is.

Hopefully the human element of these games can improve as well and match the quality of the games that we got this year.

2 Likes

The most obvious and safe list, im with @Staffy on the remakes thing, i would have removed RE4 for some smaller game like Sea of Stars, Hi Fi Rush or some other tho.

Pretty big year overall, games like FF16 or Starfield could have won GOTY if these had been released on 2021, but on a year like this one they didn’t even make it to nominees.

Baldur’s Gate is going to stomp everything imo, and it’ll be well deserved, will be remembered as one of the best games ever.

Let’s see how 2024 goes, it looks way lightier than this year so far.

Excited about TGA’s this year btw, idc about some random awards tbh, but there’s always some good announcements and gameplay videos on there

4 Likes

I’m sorry, but the whole list is a clown show. Best community support nominee Destiny 2 Hahahahahahahha

17 Likes

Says a lot about the people controlling what they want you to think and see…

There were dozens of absolutely stellar new IP that came out this year and almost as many that were incredible, it was an absolutely stellar year for gaming. Starfield certainly fits that bill according to the millions of players that made it the biggest BGS launch in history. But you know, Spidey 2 somehow deserves to be there (when it’s the only Sony exclusive released all year TGA has to make sure they cram it in there….).

11 Likes

As usuals with Geoffs AAA centered advertising show there is not a single indie game on the list for best art, direction, design or narrativ. Is any of the jury even gaming for real?

laying off community managers is best support confirmed :clown_face:

12 Likes

Hifi Rush got snubbed.

6 Likes

BG3 will most definitely win RPG. But GOTY very likely too.

5 Likes

Liana was the only thing good about their community support… and they literally fired her almost a month ago, but the rest of the conversation between player and Bungie was so great that they lost a massive chunk of players, myself included… This list is not only a joke, but arguably pretty fucking gross at this point - how much Sony ball-coddling is necessary?

4 Likes

I just want to know if Team Xbox is going to show up in a big way or just wait for a Developer Direct.

2 Likes

I really agree with the complaints that the GOTY list has no new IP and even a remake! There are great games on this list, but yeah that’s not good.

4 Likes

I think the moment people stop watching this shit show is when we might actually get something in its place that isn’t just some overlong trailer showcase, with the occasional recognition of the work devs actually do, sandwiched between the massive void of charisma from the host.

7 Likes