The Big ol' Xbox 3rd Party Releases Discussion Thread (HiFi, SoT, Pentiment, Grounded) (Part 2)

Tango had lost most of its leadership, was a year+ into trying to pitch a project, was halfway around the world with language barriers, and isn’t a mo-cap and UE5 powerhouse like NT is. It’s not the same just because you feel upset.

10 Likes

Yeah. I hope they hurry the f up with those explanations.

1 Like

Yup. I feel like a complete idiot thinking these studios didnt have to be worried about financail metrics that much now that they are under MS…to think I wanted to acquire Asobo :face_vomiting:

4 Likes

They never have. They said as much in that Power On doc. MS has wanted to kill Xbox for a long time.

3 Likes

Well, they sold us on a vision. I feel a bit dumb falling for it it.

Game Pass was going to secure these studios their creative freedom while being provided financial security. Now turning into something even harder than being independent: You have to sell games, whilst being tied down to releasing your games “for free” on Game Pass. Like how the f is that going to work?

10 Likes

If you are just going to be here to be miserable and think about the absolute worst case scenario maybe go outside and take a walk. Nothing happening here is productive.

10 Likes

I am outside.

12 Likes

Look all I’m going to say is the everyone in here felt that Tango and the other Arkane were safe because because we thought Xbox didnt care about sales that much and the only thing that mattered was gamepass sub.

Again, everything so far points to HB 2 being a bomb and not moving subs in the slightest. They closed Tango eventhought HFR metrics were far better than HB2 if we compare first days numbers so…

And its not being upset, its me being worried for these studios.Do you really think I want them to fail or something?

3 Likes

Do you have data to show that Hellblade 2 didn’t move subs or its metrics are worse than Hi Fi Rush?

1 Like

I would question anyone who looks at a world-dominating corporation and thinks that any part of them “doesn’t care about sales/making money” in any of their departments.

4 Likes

I think this is why most people are upset. They staright up lied, end of the story.

4 Likes

Sure whatever. See you again when the next batch of studios close then (they said they are not over) Dont know why you defend them this much when everything “bad” happening to the brand right now its their fault.

4 Likes

That is not what is being said though. It’s in relation to the Game Pass proposition I’m pretty sure everyone here bought into a couple of years ago. I know I did.

1 Like

Just a hunch

Believe it or not, Booty said the reason for the closings was not tied to performance. It was timing (no projects going), location (tango), and executive burnout when looking to reduce overall costs. Nothing in there says “game pass”

6 Likes

That’s the problem, I don’t believe them haha. But yes, I do think the studios closed in this first sweep is the ones with the most problems though yeah.

It’s what comes next that worries me.

I dont think anyone at this point could believe anything they say really. Next time they say something I will assume the opposite will happen.

4 Likes

We don’t have any data except knowing where it placed on top paid list on steam and xbox store. We’ll know when most played list resets on Tuesday if the game flopped or not. Sales wise it seems it performed similar to hifi rush

1 Like

I might have cost less to produce than HFR though as Ninja Theory is a smaller studio I believe so we’ll see but I doubt anything will happen to them.

Yeah, it’s clear we can’t trust anything Microsoft says. Did Phil even acknowledge the closures on twitter? I don’t even think he did that. Anyway, they lied about gamepas being a a place where studios can experiment and sales does not matter. We saw what happened to critically acclaimed HiFi Rush that did well among the critics but not so much in sales and engagement. I am unsure how any developer under Microsoft can feel confident about their games when nobody knows what metrics are important to be safe.

Plus, they lied about the multiplat strategy and a whole bunch of other things. I think they just need to be straight up and let people know they’re going multiplat, but they’re probably going to hold off from saying it until next gen.

Anyway, there’s a lot of trust that has been lost with Xbox’s current regime and it’s clear they’re going a different path from waht they sold us on

7 Likes