The Big ol' Xbox 3rd Party Releases Discussion Thread (HiFi, SoT, Pentiment, Grounded) (Part 2)

I disagree the 1st party lineup has been better, 2021 was great, 2022 was imo the worst year they’ve ever had and 2023 was pretty inconsistent. Hell the beginning of 2024 from a 1st party perspective hasn’t been good.

There was just never any consistency from 1st party it felt like at least not with big games that could potentially move consoles. Halo Infinite to Starfield was nearly a 2 year gap from big, potentially system moving exclusives.

1 Like

In terms of volume of releases so far in 2024, I agree.

I disagree if you meant quality. Hellblade 2 is a masterpiece example of what it is and intends to be. If people thought it was going to become a gamey game with good story bolted on like God of War or Spiderman, that’s on them.

1 Like

Yeah that wasn’t a shot at Hellblade’s quality, it was more so a shot at possibly having 1 1st party game for the 1st 9 months of the year.

1 Like

So PS5 is doing quite well after all, apparently it already topped PS4 sales? And for Xbox it just isn’t too hot at all which I find just extremely disappointing.

What we all wanted was all of them competing against each other, going hard at it. But alas. I just find it very disappointing, that’s all.

It’s ahead of PS4 in US, pretty sure it’s still behind overall.

3 Likes

I would call this a generous reading of the situation. They’re not growing, which is what companies want. They’re just about keeping pace overall.

2 Likes

There are also a few other explanations for why PS5 is tracking ahead PS4, while Series is tracking behind One:

• Xbox still had the COD marketing for the launch of the Xbox One. They also had the ‘next big thing’ in Titanfall locked in as an exclusive. Apart from Starfield, there hasn’t been anything at that level for Series consoles.
  • PC day and date didn’t start until the release of Quantum Break in 2017. As a result, the Xbox One had full exclusives for the first 3 years.
  • Excluding MS Flight Sim, every Xbox Series title was crossgen within the first two years of launch. This changed with the release of Hi Fi Rush in 2023. Quantum Break, Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, Forza 5, etc. you needed a Xbox One console to play.

It should also be noted that Sony has done a magnificent job with marketing the PS5, between having the COD marketing and aligning themselves with arguably one of the biggest IPs in Hogwarts Legacy.

5 Likes

I feel like if MS had the COD financing on lock and hadn’t lost it, their situation would be a lot better. Just sucks it took MS so long to give Xbox the financial backing it needed to be able to do their job properly and it’s been hard for them ever since.

2 Likes

Hi mates what’s up? It’s been a long time since my last post (jan 2024) but i’ve been very busy with work.

First of all: i’m almost finished Hellblade 2 and let me to say “Oh my God”. It’s really incredible. The new graphic reference for all upcoming games. My specs are really high (rtx 4080) but the game is soo smooth as well with DLSS3. Now i would share with you my considerations about the latest about xbox news:

1. The leaked “multiplatforms strategy” could kill the XBOX brand itself because many people bought XSX or XSS following the main refrain “XBOX Exclusives”. Many of them bought Xbox only for Bethesda and probably they would had choiced PS5 if they knew that Elder Scrolls, Doom or Fallout would coming to PS5.

The new Doom game as Multiplatform title instead as a exclusive for XBOX/PC is a big Mistake to me because Doom is a console seller. I’m speaking as a PC gamer (my last consoles were X360 and PS4 and i sold both because i always been on PC gaming but halo wars and The Order 1886 convinced me to buy those systems). So, you know how exclusive games are important) and i haven’t interest to see people (PS users) with no games cause because everyone should be happy. Therefore considering a perfect world gaming every players would have to be able to play all games from all studios and brand in its console or PC. But i don’t see PS sell their games on XBOX and also PC is going to receive the big titles after several time. Leave PS as the only reference “High premium” console will be catastrophic for the game industry because we’ll see increasing prices, less choice and variety. So, XBOX have to carry on developing many exclusives because this what it have been said to XBOX users who choided this console;

1. Gamepass is definitely a fantastic app for XBOX and it could be a “Killer App” with more exclusives not less. Bringing more XBOX games on PS will mean less subcribers.

Netflix, Amazon, Disney…no ones of them bring their best products on the competitor platforms: this is the main rule of the competition. You can grow as Service and console only if you offer titles that competitors can’t offer.

Gamepass was growing with a good percent from its launch to 2022 but we seen a less subscribers in the last years, why? It’s simple: the lack of big titles wich lead the perceptions of people. There are few games of this genre: Spiderman, GTA, Call of Duty, Fallout, Elder Scroll, Fortnite, Gears, Halo and Doom and few others (Nintendo has Zelda and Mario).

So if we look at the last two years what we have? 2022 it was horrible with the lack of big titles and 2023 seen only Starfield as a big title. (and it did a lot for XBOX).

Now we are approching to the best year of XBOX, really best (COD, Doom, Indy, Avowed, AOMRE, STALKER 2 and more) and what Leadership is doing? Bringing more of these big titles on PS: this is a stupid strategy, imho.

We understand that’s probably a decision of Nadella and Amy Hood in the first istance (but also Spencer has its role in this strategy because it’s a senior memeber of MS CDA) but i think they should to see what could happen with all these coming titles and COD into gamepass before surrender.

1. COD on Gamepass: this could be a game changer if XBOX will use marketing in the best way they can. The latest “State of Play” was ridiculous: PS don’t have big titles until the middle of 2025 (and we always knew it from the strategy plans of PS).

Now, COD is one of the most desired and played game in the world: one of the game that lead the perception of milions of players.

The newest trailer counts more than 9 milions of people in only 3 days. Considering this: XBOX series sold 30/31 milions and PS5 reached 55 milions of units. So it’s a big difference.

But there are almost 50/60 milions of users who have XBOXone or PS4 and didn’t choice what console they will buy next.

So, this is the target that MS is looking for. They want them into XBOX.

The COD’s reveal on june 9th could be the best thing happened to XBOX after many bad news in the last months.

PS has not the marketing for COD and can you realize how many people will see the upcoming XBOX showcase due the reveal of COD? milions and milions. It will probably be the most seen show of the year and also from milions of people who have Xboxone or PS4.

XBOX have to take advantage: show to these people how big is COD on Gamepass and how many great titles they will play on Gamepass too and that XBOX it’s the right console to have if you wanna play to all of the titles (Indy, Doom, Fable etc) with a simply subscrition and joining into XBOX family.

If they are going to show the multiplatforms strategy for most of games of XBOX studios (all studios, including Zenimax and Activision) few days after the show they will cancel their advantage to have the attention of milions and milions of users.

So, MMO should be released on all platforms except the Single Player titles wich should have a sort of exclusivity: timed or full it’s not matter.

The reveal of COD will offer to XBOX the possibility to show the Gamepass value to milions of people and in many countries where Gamepass is nothing.

XBOX don’t be stupid. Look at a long timed strategy. They can sell milions of console. Don’t waste this opportuniy.

Jimmy.

5 Likes

Phil addresses more in here:

(In response to Doom being multiplat)

"Well, on Doom, it’s definitely one of those franchises that has a history on so many devices. I think they have Doom running on a lawnmower somewhere. It’s a franchise I think everybody deserves to play and to be honest, I was in a meeting with Marty and the team a couple of years ago and I asked Marty what he wanted to do and he wanted to ship it on all platforms and I said ‘Let’s go do that.’ Like, it was simple as that.

Now, I want to bring it back though because I get a lot of questions about ‘Hey, if I’m an Xbox owner, what does it mean?’ and what I want to say, and I think it showed up in the show today. You saw an amazing collection of games that are coming to Xbox, that are going into Game Pass day one, and Game Pass showed up so well. If you buy the game on our console, you get to play on PC, if you buy the game on PC you get to (play on console). So the cross-entitlement stuff is all there. We’re focused on future hardware with forward compatibility.

Our commitment to our Xbox customers is that you’re going to get the opportunity to buy of subscribe to the game. We’re going to support the game on other screens. And you are going to see more of our games on more platforms, and we just see that as a benefit to the franchises we’re building and we see that from players and the players love being able to play."

5 Likes

On exclusivity:

"Well, on Doom, it’s definitely one of those franchises that has a history on so many devices. I think they have Doom running on a lawnmower somewhere. It’s a franchise I think everybody deserves to play and to be honest, I was in a meeting with Marty and the team a couple of years ago and I asked Marty what he wanted to do and he wanted to ship it on all platforms and I said ‘Let’s go do that.’ Like, it was simple as that.

Now, I want to bring it back though because I get a lot of questions about ‘Hey, if I’m an Xbox owner, what does it mean?’ and what I want to say, and I think it showed up in the show today. You saw an amazing collection of games that are coming to Xbox, that are going into Game Pass day one, and Game Pass showed up so well. If you buy the game on our console, you get to play on PC, if you buy the game on PC you get to (play on console). So the cross-entitlement stuff is all there. We’re focused on future hardware with forward compatibility.

Our commitment to our Xbox customers is that you’re going to get the opportunity to buy of subscribe to the game. We’re going to support the game on other screens. And you are going to see more of our games on more platforms, and we just see that as a benefit to the franchises we’re building and we see that from players and the players love being able to play."

I fail to see how Xbox gamers win here, especially with Sony cutting out Xbox on multiplats even + moneyhats.

17 Likes

Agreed. He ended that section like he was saying something people would cheer for and I was like thats a negative for xbox fans not a postive lol.

12 Likes

Move on already, my guy. It’s been months, stop torturing yourself.

4 Likes

The only benefit I can think of is less of a chance for games to bomb. If a game generates more revenue, then that should result in studio creating more games. Other than that, not much benefit for Xbox gamers, but it helps Microsoft’s bottom line, but not so much for xbox console owners

3 Likes

Easier said than done. Maybe Switch 2 is waiting in the wings.

At least the games shown today were dang good.

1 Like

It’s not that hard, you’re a multi console owner. This affects you less than most.

6 Likes

I am privileged to be in that position, but I’ve also built an expansive library on a platform that will continue to lose third party support and ship games to the competition. What happens in the future there?

Best I can do I suppose is like when I switched from PS3 to XB1 and Wii U: leave the old system hooked up.

1 Like

You can buy the next one or continue to use your old console. There will still be a next one.

1 Like

I think even if you own multiple consoles it still affects a person. I usually own all 3 consoels, but I did 90% of my purchases on xbox. Like if I go on xbox app it says I own 1200 games, and that’s based off being built from the 360 gen. However, if all Microsoft games are going to other platforms. Then it doesn’t allow me to carry over library due to logically its smarter to buy a PS6 and do purchases on that platform. Next gen it will be better for me and other to just buy a PS6 or gaming PC rather than buying a $500 console and $20/month sub to rent games on gamepass.

All in all they risk losing gamepass subs with this move because its logically smarter to get one console and pay $70 for a game rather than paying $20/month for a sub and $500 for console

9 Likes

Yeah it’s not ideal, you could still buy the next Xbox though.

1 Like