Tencent buys Leyou Tech (parent company of Digitial Extreme and Splash Damage)

This is another reason why MS brought Bethesda.

2 Likes

The number one reason I’m glad MS announced their intent with Bethesda. Tencent scares me. Wish Sony got these guys tbh, but at least MS still gets to work with Splash Damage under this.

Nice, it’s a lot better than Sony buy them. I hope we can still have Gears Tactics sequel with Tencent

This is what MS is worried about, along with google and amazon. I could honestly see Xbox, Sony and Nintendo team up as the OG gaming companies against the “new” guys on the block. Not any time soon but if tencent starts to eat into console sales with a streaming service they might want to stop that.

2 Likes

Most valuable IP they got is the Warframe IP and their devs and Splash damage, besides that, the other studios are Mobile or very small (very little information on them). You can see why Sony of even MS didn’t go for them. Compared to Bethesda this looks like lower value for money.

Yeah, the future is very interesting, if one of PlayStation, Nintendo, MS fail to make a jump when the streaming wars get real then we might get some interesting partnerships/acquisitions, because they have the most to lose unlike Google or Amazon, who can afford to see gaming not work out.

The future is more uncertain than ever, I know Phil has said that there will be consoles after this gen, but they definitely don’t know when or how fast the switch from hardware to streaming will occur, that’s why they’re already trying to gain a foothold in that space with Gamepass streaming. You don’t want to miss the big train; it will be interesting to see when companies like Sony and Nintendo make that switch to streaming games on launch like Xbox has.

Probably won’t happen but if I was Spencer, I would into seeing if Tencent would be willing to sell Splash Damage. They’re good and maybe im wrong but I see them as a better fit for Microsoft than Tencent. If it’s a no, then I would try to just keep working with them on a game by game contract basis. I haven’t played Gears Tactics yet but I definitely will be and watching trailers for it makes me want a Halo Tactics game from them.

1 Like

I believe Sony actually was in the running for them. At least from the reports a while ago.

2 Likes

I am curious what Tencent’s goal is. Are these just investment moves or are they preparing for some sort of larger gaming play.

This was basically announced in the summer iirc. Sony was interested in them too reportedly.

1 Like

I was going to say, I know 2020 has been a fucked up year temporally (and for a lot of other reasons), but I swore that this was announced months ago.

As for the buy, I think it’s slightly better for gamers that Tencent bought them than Sony. But I would like to see someone able to counter Tencent on these types of acquisitions going further; as a conglomerate that’s essentially a subsidiary of the Chinese government, I think it will end up costing a lot of IP freedom and potential staff. Given China’s current and past record on… well everything, it’s bad enough to have a player like that in the industry swallowing up studios left and right.

It was, the deal didn’t execute until today.

2 Likes

Yeah @TavishHill’s response gave me the clarity I was looking for in my confused haze lol. Quite a few acquisitions from a few groups over the past week.

1 Like

Sony don’t have the money to compete with the big guys. Once you strip out the money Sony Financial Group need to carry on the balance sheet they only have around 5 to 10 Billion free cash to play with for the rest of the company.

1 Like

I hope Certain Affinity isn’t also bought up by them eventually. I know this deal gives Tencent a 20% stake with the option to buy the rest, but hopefully someone else steps in first/with a better offer.

Could be cool to see Certain Affinity handle the multiplayer for The Initiative’s Perfect Dark reboot.

1 Like

Sony was outbid by Tencent for Leyou

1 Like