TEKKEN 8 to Feature Crossplay and Rollback Netcode

Originally published at: TEKKEN 8 to Feature Crossplay and Rollback Netcode - XboxEra

In a nice, frank set of conversations on Twitter, TEKKEN Producer and Bandai Namco executive Katsuhiro Harada said that TEKKEN 8 would feature crossplay and rollback netcode “already installed.” Per the following tweets:

Crossplay? Of course I will.
BTW
When the previous generation consoles were released, I had already proposed crossplay between the two platformers. However, at that time, they were at odds with each other over their mutual interests (and P2P security issue) & repeatedly refused. https://t.co/I8b38YfePh

— Katsuhiro Harada (@Harada_TEKKEN) April 9, 2023

And on rollback netcode:

already installed it, and it already has what you want. The reason WHY we don't make big announcements like cross-play is Cuz even if we make big announcements, people like you will only say things like, "waaaa! That's normal in this day and age."
So shut up & sit the hell down. https://t.co/ZA1ZKMV9gC

— Katsuhiro Harada (@Harada_TEKKEN) April 9, 2023

Crossplay, or the ability to play the same game software between players of different platforms, is nothing to scoff at. It’s been featured prominently over the last several years in fighting games, helping keep what tend to be small communities more tightly knit. It’s always welcome in my book. As for rollback netcode, that explanation is best left to the pros: you can watch a nice 10-minute summary of what rollback netcode is and why it’s better right here thanks to Core-A Gaming.

If you’ve been in the dark, now a good time to catch up on TEKKEN 8’s character reveals. Our defactos Jin Kazama and Kazuya Mishima, grandma Jun Kazama, Leroy Smith, Nina, Marshall Law, Xiaoyu, Asuka Kazama, and Jack-8 are all up for watching right now. Have a gander at all of them to catch more of the most offense-focused TEKKEN to date.

No release date has been confirmed for TEKKEN 8 at this time. It will launch on Xbox Series consoles and PC.

5 Likes

I’m not a fighter gamer, but those two features are great to see.

2 Likes

Harada is a funny man

Great news though, all fighting games should be crossplay nowadays

1 Like

Fantastic news. Now i can beat up sony fanboys on Tekken