Starfield |OT| You're Finally Awake... In Space! [NO SPOILERS]

I think it works uniquely well in GotG because of the type of characters, comedic aspects, etc. Think anything similar in a BGS RPG would turn people off reallllly quick.

Oh true that, but I meant more like in general. NPCs and followers have always talked in BGS games, but it often was a bit nonsensical, although in Fallout 4 this was already significantly better than Skyrim.

I can see some maybe funny comments come from Vasco though. There are so many of these things I canā€™t wait to find out.

3 Likes

Ah yeah, thatā€™d be pretty cool. Would give more life to the world.

4 Likes

Yeah, I really hope that the companions and NPCā€™s are fully conizant of the world, what your main character is doing, and have a fully formed ideology of their own. IMO people should fly solo if they donā€™t want deal with the banter between their character and the companions.

5 Likes

Indeed, please make it so @BRiT :pray:

I loved that about GotG! Made it feel like you really had a crew of misfits with their own life. Whatever they can do with Starfield to make the immersion stronger Iā€™m all for it.

Yep.

3 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™m loving it in Guardians, actually as soon as I woke up in the game I just stood still and wanted to hear all the banter between the others, haha.

In Starfield you could be traveling with someone, could be a human follower or Vasco and you enter a cave or see some mysterious structure and the follower will comment on it. Since we are a silent protagonist itā€™s gonna feel a bit like a one sided conversation, but ah well.

But also in the cities where NPCs walk around, hope there are some really cool conversations between some NPCs. This is what I loved so much in RDR2, now realistic and detailed some of the NPC chatter is, itā€™s a huge improvement over GTA V. I donā€™t perse expect this from BGS, but absolutely a big improvement over F4.

1 Like

Had not spotted these.

The more bugs and other creepy crawlers to see, shoot or run away fromā€¦the better.

4 Likes

All this talk of companions made me finally realize what makes Bethesda RPGs so unique - the utter lack of party mechanics. Every true blue RPG (Iā€™m discounting games that just have RPG elements like dungeon crawlers, immersive sims, or the modern open world action game) have a very large focus on parties/companions. Be it JRPGs (Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest), WRPGs (Mass Effect, Dragon Age), CRPGs (Baldurā€™s Gate), or SRPGs (Fire Emblem). But Bethesda RPGs donā€™t.

I think that is what makes their worlds feel so grand: they have a sense of isolation to them.

5 Likes

Hereā€™s part two of Starfield Signalā€™s analysis. Good channel, Iā€™m subbing to it now.

6 Likes

Ray Tracing is a fucking gimmick, Just have 60fps 1080p and 4k 30fps and i am good. Never care for resource hog ray tracing gimmick.

2 Likes

No it isnā€™t. RT gives you all those neat reflections in puddles.

Itā€™s cool stuff, I guess, but so far I have not been wowed by any of it. Maybe I havenā€™t played the right games with RT but so far I really donā€™t need it that bad. I am playing Guardians of the Galaxy now though, early bits still, but in the RT mode, I guess weā€™ll see.

Also RT does amazing stuff with lighting, as seen in CP 2077 inside buildings.

Interesting. But RT mode in that game locks it down to 30fps doesnā€™t it? Also on console arenā€™t those only raytraced shadows? I recall something like that.

I remember PS5 fans made a big deal about RT with Spiderman Miles Morales.

But they make a big deal out of anything Sony. :wink:

3 Likes

For the resources it currently requires and how little of a difference it makes for me, RT isnā€™t even close to being worth it right now

Most games seem to be taking massive performance hits just to have it as an option, making games run at half the framerate or worse while massively lowering the resolution so I can have some slightly better shadows or puddle reflectionsā€¦

Nah, im good

8 Likes

Remember when multiple reputable sources talked about a June release? I definitely think this was on the cards, things were looking good. But probably saw the schedule of other games releasing and figuring some extra polish is never a bad thing and decided to move it two months further, assuming it would have been late June.

I donā€™t believe at all these ā€œreportsā€ about how it was in dev hell, a month or two ago, how Redfall was ā€œmidā€ and so on. This is nonsense anyone can come up with. Feeling good about September 6.

There was not a single source that said June that wasnā€™t speculating. We gotta be careful of taking the speculation of insiders as real information.

2 Likes

True. I believe Jez and Grubb both said their sources told them they were going for June. I will never take it as fact and from now on Iā€™ll take any insider words with lots of salt, but I can see June having been considered.

1 Like