Star Wars: Squadrons will run at 4k on Xbox Series X and 120fps

Good news for Xbox Series X owners, seems the PS5 is not getting the same type of upgrades or just cant handle it. Maybe Series X is not under powered after all?

Star Wars™: Squadrons

With Star Wars™: Squadrons, the team at Motive has created two different options for an improved experience on the Xbox Series X|S which you can choose between: one for better visual quality and another for better performance. If you choose to fly across the galaxy with improved visual quality, the game will have a better lighting model where it will run up to 1440p at 60 FPS on the Xbox Series S and up to 2160p at 60 FPS on the Xbox Series X. If you choose performance, the game will run up to 1440p at 120 FPS and up to 2160p at 120 FPS respectively. Motive also added a Variable Refresh Rate on/off option for those of you with a TV that supports the feature. Star Wars: Squadrons on the PlayStation 5 will run with improved lighting, at the same resolution and framerate as on the PlayStation 4 Pro. And, no matter the platform - Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC, Xbox Series X|S or PlayStation 5 - you can compete with other pilots through cross-platform play.

3 Likes

The XSX definitely isn’t underpowered… I wouldn’t say it’s good news the PS5 isn’t getting enhancements like that, it should certainly be able to handle a really respectable boost and it’s a shame people on that platform won’t get that added value.

It is nice to see it enhanced though.

3 Likes

Now, we have evidence to suggest that line of thinking is correct. Rocket League is in a similar boat to Warzone: the hugely popular football driving game has been updated to run at 120fps on Xbox Series X, but not on PS5. Why?

Developer Psyonix told Eurogamer there were a few reasons for the decision, and pointed out enabling 120fps on PS5 “requires a full native port”, whereas it’s just a “minor patch” on Xbox Series X and S.

Those games are not being fully optimized for the Series X|S. Instead, they are receiving patches to improve framerate via backwards compatibility – something the PS5 can’t do because of the way Sony handles BC.

4 Likes

They should definitely fix this. The backwards compatibility solution on Xbox and PS5 looks (relatively) comparable until you start seeing stuff like this. Seems like they still have a long ways to go.

There isn’t something that Sony can necessarily ‘fix.’ This is just the way Sony and Microsoft have gone about with their backwards compatability. Sony’s backwards compatability is more hardware based than Microsoft’s, so Xbox games are more hardware agnostic, for lack of a better word, and hence why developers are able to release ‘simple’ patches to lift the framerate cap etc.

This seems like it could be fixed on Sony side.

The difference is that even when making a Xbone game they have apis to identify if they are running on SX or SS and increase some settings or unlock the framerate.

Sony definitely could have enabled the same.

Not underpowered, but these are BC games. The system shines there. It’s the current gen that needs the improvement.

As for these enhancements, are they live now? Because it’s an article from way launch and it’s not clear when the update is there.

How’s the campaign for it? I have zero interest in multiplayer but I’d absolutely buy it for the current price with some good enhancements and a decent enough single player.

Feel like this game went very under the radar but I could see it gaining some momentum when more updates come around.

The game has a hard ass learning curve to me. The trial was enough for me to know I wouldnt even finish this game. But im sure its going to look good though

Brought this via the sale, I need to adjust the controls so its more like Elite Dangerous I think, but for the few minutes I played in the early hours this morning, I was :slightly_smiling_face:, the force is not quite with me yet, but in time, it may be. :grinning:

It looks nice now, so I’m looking forward to the patch. I wonder if the improved lighting is DX Raytracing or just screen-space reflections (like in Gears 5).

Now do Need for Speed Hot Pursuit too, EA.

Sony and EA are not really getting along these days. I would expect bare minimum from their studios

3 Likes

Wanna know when this update will be out. Currently holding on playing until its out.

1 Like

Better for Xbox i guess because if you remember Jeff grubb said months ago that sony wasn’t pleased with ea

1 Like

Had fun with the trial. If this patch is imminent and with the sale going on, I will probably pick this up. Any actual date on the patch?

They have an update on the 25th and another in december but didnt specify anything regarding if those include the next gen patch.

1 Like

How do you select 120 Hz mode on this game? I can’t find it in the settings anywhere.

Why? what’s the beef

Can’t remember what it was

1 Like