Spyro the Dragon 4 is Toys4Bob's Xbox game, insider claims

9 Likes

I haven’t played a Spyro game since the PS1 days but seeing how T4B did an excellent job in Crash 4 I can’t wait to see what they will do with this IP! I love my 3D platformers so I am all in on this one! :partying_face:

4 Likes

I hope this is true! Platformers are always needed

3 Likes

Started development January this year, damn, that’s gonna be quite a wait.

But hopefully all goes well, I loved the collection.

3 Likes

I really hope this is true (and to be fair, it seems like a fairly safe bet) - Toys for Bob did an amazing job of the Spyro remakes and this is exactly the sort of game I want to see come from their partnership with Xbox.

2 Likes

To be fair, they are in a good position to hit the ground running on this project - they not only have the frameworks they built for the remake trilogy but they really took the time to define their own art style for the game (which included working with Insomniac to ensure they stayed true to the original vision). Plus the development time of the remake trilogy and Crash 4 seemed to be on the shorter end.

Plus, I always thought part of the advantage of working with Microsoft and developing for game pass is that whatever they make doesn’t have to be a full scale 70 dollar game. Both the Crash remakes and the Spyro remakes had multiple games at a reduced price, and those games were pretty short by modern standards so it made sense - Crash 4 by comparison felt like it was trying a little too hard to justify it’s price. I’d be happy to see them just make the game they want to make and let game pass do the rest.

2 Likes

T4B splitting from Activision and getting out of the COD mines will be the best thing that ever happened to them. I’m glad Microsoft had the foresight to work out a deal with them, I’ve wanted a new Spyro for years.

What he says in his video about why Toys4Bob decided to go indie is interesting too, we’ve speculated on that here too. Could all be intentionally by MS.

Nice. Still waiting for that Spyro trilogy to get added to Game Pass.

4 Likes

I still don’t understand why they had to go independent to get out the COD mine…

Xbox could have surely just moved them to Blizzard, Bethesda or XGS (and retained their talent)?

I pretty sure they promised to keep Activision as a separate entity during the FTC trial. I don’t think they are allowed to meddle with them or their studios.

1 Like

With all the changes and redundancies they’ve already made it would no longer function as a separate entity (IMO) so I’m not sure that’s the case.

Anyway… they still could have moved them to Blizzard?

This was just a bit of a misunderstanding that got spread around during the layoffs drama - what they did say is that the planned limited integration of Activision would potentially reduce the need for layoffs (brought on by overlapping departments) and leave Activision in a state where it could be divested later should the US courts require it. They didn’t promise not to lay off staff, or promise not to meddle with Activision.

3 Likes

Yeah, they sure are taking their time with adding ABK to GP. It starts with Diablo 4 and I guess it can’t be very long after that they’ll drop more.

2 Likes

I just assume they were going to be closed and came up with another plan to go independent and remain open.

2 Likes

Sadly this is probably more likely the case, however we may never know. Atleast they aren’t closed but it’s still a shame they aren’t in-house IMO.

1 Like