Specs for a hypothetical Xbox portable

I hope compatibility doesn’t suffer due to that.

How would an ARM based console affect compatibility?

ARM is very different from x86

Cons

1. BC will suffer a lot. Translation layer will help but it will require enough headroom compared to zen2

2. Current games would need to be developed for two architecture. It won’t be as simple as switching between amd and Intel. Devs will have to write some extra codes.

Pros

1. Great performances at unmatched battery life.
1 Like

Given MS’s history with backwards compatibility, I feel these are all issues that they could easily (from our perspective, I know none of this is “easy”) solve. If they actually decide to go all in on ARM.

It’s achievable definitely, but work needs to be done from their team, and likely a translation layer is gonna eat up some performance (for backwards compatible games), while ARM “native” games or whatever should be advantageous, I don’t think they’d go with it if not with the other parties in the industry as well so not to complicate development.

1 Like

Oh yes, 1 is actually very easily achievable.

2 is all about having developers confidence and investment of time/money issue.

1 Like

This ARM device, if ever exists. Can’t work along side x86 stuff.

Xbox will have to put some concessions.

Although, they can target it as a first party game device. Then no issues. Third is welcome on there own will.

Microsoft already had a solution to Con #2.

It was UWP, and for programming libraries that don’t have the source available to recompile into ARM, they offer this Application Binary Interface called ARM EC.

Yes when it comes to more low-level optimisations, they would have to work with two different architectures, but I haven’t seen modern game programmers whip out Assembly in a while.

2 Likes

The solution to 1 can also suffice. Rosetta 2 by Apple is said to have 95% efficiency running some x86 apps. MS can do better since they’ll only need to target a very small subset of x86 architectures and software in their HW BC.

1 Like

Don’t know how I missed this.

These days it is easy to hook up an external GPU to your handheld via a USB 4.0 high speed cable.

Maybe have your xbox handheld as a Series S successor and hook it up to the external docking station with a powerful GPU to make it a Series X successor.

Maybe Xbox can pull this off at $400 for handheld and $200~300 for docking station.

It would be interesting if “Dock” supported disk drive and could also authorize installed copy on paired handheld via Xbox Live in standby.

1 Like

Even Atari is making a handheld…

Xbox happy to sit on the sidelines. :melting_face:

1 Like

Why?

Just the Zen 2 in Series consoles. Maybe architecture isn’t the correct word. Perhaps configuration is a better word. One configuration in terms of CPU cores, cache, clock, microarchitecture etc.

1 Like

Zen 2 is almost all of x64 ISA.

While this is true don’t you think an Xbox handheld will kill the rest basically stunting their growth. I often think one of the reasons Xbox hasn’t done this, much like I think Jez said is because of their partners. I would think most would go for the Xbox handheld and I think such a device would be able to sell in the range of Nintendo like devices, maybe something over 60 million in a generation. They probably might end up doing but I do think they’ll wait till they feel like the handheld PC gaming is stable.

I would be shocked if a Xbox handheld moved 60 million units lol. 6 million for v1 would be a decent start. 16 million would be a huge success.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think it would be closer to 6 than 60.

But 6 million here and 6 million there (handheld, cloud, PC, etc.) adds up - and tapping into every niche is probably the best way Xbox can succeed.

1 Like

Yeah, I think people would need to temper their expectations on how this thing would perform (sales wise).

Nintendo dominated with the switch because they were already dominant in the portable market. They have been since the Game Boy released. Their portable user base already existed. I always view the switch as Nintendo just abandoned consoles because portable technology got good enough to be both for them.

4 Likes

I agree it was mostly their userbase being used to handhelds, but I think they also just released a compelling and novel device at the absolute perfect time.

2 Likes