Sony Is Dealing With PlayStation 5 Shortage by Making More PS4s

Coolteastwood, if I remember correctly.

1 Like

It’s blessing in disguise for Xbox to invest a lower cost console that is likely more valuable than they had in mind.

3 Likes

Just read this on Twitter. LMAO.

Microsoft having the Xbox Series S for $300 has been a brilliant move. Current generation console for the same price as what a last generation console costs.

Sony should just try to keep manufacturing PS5’s as best they can. 16m PS5’s sold in 14 months and when compared to PS4 which sold 18.5m units in the same time isn’t bad at all considering the fact that Microsoft is a far stronger competitor this time around and of course, there’s the ongoing pandemic which doesn’t appear to be ending anytime soon.

Regardless, I still find Sony manufacturing PS4’s in 2022 to be very funny. I wonder if they keep the Slim at $300 or under cut the Series S and release it at $250 or $200. Eight years later, PS4 isn’t worth $300 despite not being able to find a PS5 and even $200 may be pushing it.

3 Likes

Seems like a reasonable tack to take now that I stop and think about it. Can’t really compare Microsoft to Sony here since one of the two really needed a fresh start and the other is still able to print money with last-gen stuff. Really doubt that such a small amount of additional units is going to affect their first-party plans.

I think this is honestly more of a move to prevent people from walking into brick and mortar stores and only being able to walk out with a Series S or Switch. Even if this were costing them money (and I have no insight into that) it might be acceptable if it keeps potential customers from getting ensconced into an opponent’s ecosystem.

This is pretty funny in light of the “we believe in generations” thing but you should never take what a suit says at face value regardless :sweat_smile:

I’m more surprised this is news. It’s news that Microsoft stop producing Xbox Ones because generally both companies have produced and sold previous gen consoles well into the next gen. In other words, not really a big deal. Wouldn’t be a big deal if Microsoft did it however since they have the S, they already have a lower priced entry point into the ecosystem and also likely wanted to avoid confusing Little Timmy’s Grandma.

2 Likes

Wonder if they’ll do a stream PS5 games on your existing PS4s thing or if they’re just going to end up making the big games cross play PS4 and PS5 until 2025-26.

I don’t know why anyone takes Sony’s marketing seriously. It’s obvious they love to score cheap wins by taking an opposite stance to MS whenever there is even a little negativity over something about Xbox, even when it is the grasping at straws kind from detractors. To Sony’s credit, that strategy works too. People are all about console wars wins in the moment, who really cares about what happens in reality.

1 mil consoles is nothing really. Probably just there to fill in space on retail shelves so there is something there.

2 Likes

Maybe Sony should advertise them as Blu-Ray players?

1 Like

Man people here are overreacting to the news a little too much. This isn’t new for Sony and it won’t stop them from making only PS5 games. Twitter is the worst of this tho with the lame memes

1 Like

To be fair to sony…Ms have 0 reason to support base xbox one when cloud exists. Ps4 just has a much larger install base

The problem is if they have it already, why get it again. It makes sense to get something new and “hip” as in trending today. Series S is new and upgraded in compare to One S. Not to mention, it’s not a mid-gen upgrade as it is advertised as next-gen. Lastly, if they never hop into Xbox before, now it’s a good time.

That’s why I see it more harm to Sony than vice versa. It’s not to say PS will lose all the sales and will lose to Xbox. But their part of goal is to not let Xbox get any recognition or acknowledgment. Don’t let your competitor get any agro. If it was reverse, not much would change since Xbox is already the one that has to do the climbing.

Microsoft strategy was the correct one.

9 Likes

Hang on a minute, we’ve all been warned about the nuclear meltdowns that would occur when little Timmy opened up a series S instead of a series X his confused granny had bought him.

Imagine the size of the one we’d see if he opened a PS4 not a PS5 :slight_smile: .

5 Likes

This is an hilarious backfire for “we believe in generations”, the fact no media is at least chuckling for the irony is the nth proof of general bias and status quo, not that there was a need for it. This is even more hilarious after the whole little Timmy and/or old nana confused at shopping mall between Series consoles. Also XSS proved its next-gen status with the Matrix demo, after that no more bad actor can challenge it. After little more than a year into the gen ALL 2020 narratives died.

7 Likes

“We believe in generations” is aging worse everyday.

But, are we really surprised ? Chip shortage + Sony is coming out of the 2nd highest selling home console OAT, of course they were still keep on selling the PS4’s opposed to the X1’s that pretty much helped make that gen a flop for MS.

Jim Ryan can only fault himself for this dunk by parading the whole “generations” schtick.

For those who hadn’t seen this yet or didn’t know this was the situation back in 2020, The Verge is reporting on this now:

4 Likes

Yep they have schooled everyone as to how to start a generation

Irony.

I’m thinking this is part of their plan to have more disc version PS5’s on shelves. Instead of leaning on the DE as the budget sku, they can scrap that plan and just lean back on PS4 for that demographic, then use those parts that would have gone to a DE PS5 sku in a disc version instead. Basically consolidating their focus for high end market on the disc version PS5 and the cheaper market gets PS4.

I don’t this makes them look dumb at all, quite the opposite. I do think it reinforces the perception of their earlier messaging as entirely bad faith nonsense. It also highlights how smart MS was in having a bespoke next gen sku for budget customers.

5 Likes

They’re only manufacturing 1m units which to be honest, I don’t really see the point. I could understand if they could somehow get 10m units for 2022 but less than 100k a month worldwide and it’s the 2016 Slim PS4 which is basically the 2013 base PS4 but smaller as opposed to going with the PS4 Pro just seems to me like Sony is desperate for some odd reason when they don’t need to be. Having an extra 1m PS4 units out there isn’t going to do anything in my opinion and if it’s $300, even as a Sony fan and someone who has no interest in Xbox Series S and no interest in being digital only, I would still go with Series S because why would I want to spend $300 on what is basically an 8+ year old console with decade old tech? Even at $200, I would say no thanks Sony.

Maybe it’s just me but again, I see this as Sony being desperate because they were caught off guard with Series S and that it’s doing what it’s meant to be and do - a cheaper alternative to the Series X but still be a current generation console even with the lower specs, it’s superior to Xbox One X which was superior to the PS4 Pro.

Also, it’s a temporary fix as anyone who buys a PS4 now is only going to have to buy a PS5 anyway so why even bother? If im a consumer who doesn’t have a PS5 and want one, im just waiting until I can get one. I sure as hell wouldn’t spend 3/5th’s on a PS4 when I can just wait.

I am curious to see if games like Spider Man 2 and Wolverine stay current generation only as they’ve been announced as.

All I can say is that im very happy to have gone with Microsoft and Xbox Series X as my primary gaming console this generation because 15 months in and it’s already paying off huge for me where as Sony is trying to play catch up in so many areas and in some ways just trying to throw shit at a wall and see what sticks. It’s almost like they had no backup plan at all going into 2020 in which Covid already existed and by March 2020, was in the U.S. and things were being shut down.

Sony probably should have just released the PS5 Digital Edition at $300 from the start and take the loss on it to combat the Series S but seeing as how it’s identical to the PS5 Disc Edition spec wise, obviously unlike Series S, if they can’t manufacture the PS5 Disc Edition, the Digital Edition wouldn’t be any different since they’re both the same and disc drives is the one component that I haven’t read or heard about there being any shortages of.

Yeah, their generations bullshit was completely pointless since they knew all along that some games were going to be cross-gen so why not just say it from the start? Microsoft nailed the two console approach. Series S for those who just want to jump in at a cheap $300 price tag and start playing games on Game Pass and Series X for those like me who want the superior console hardware. And if streaming will be available on Xbox One, I would think that it would also be available on Series S which means that they would still have access to the Series X version of games once that’s available via streaming. Plus, the console will last for the entire generation. It’s all win win.

I don’t see what Sony is doing as a win win for anyone including Sony especially since it’s only 1m units for the entire 2022 year. I personally wouldn’t even waste my time because for that small amount, it’s just not worth it.

2 Likes