Sony getting rid of most developers from Japan Studio and keeping just a small team

AFAIK The Only person claiming it was someone called KatharsisT on Resetera who I personally believe is another Kleegamefan/Verandus (a fraud in other words)

Dusk Golem has only said that some kind of Silent Hill reboot was coming and might have Playstation marketing.

3 Likes

To be fair, that was pure speculation from fans when thinking about which was a “prominent” japanese studio.

But yeah it was all a pipe dream.

1 Like

I thought it was Jim ‘loose lips’ Ryan.

The thing with the current crop of Sony insiders is they always create click bait rumors to try and defend Sony and save face for Sony.

They want so hard to create 2013 all over again but it is just not happening. Xbox has it’s shit together with the most powerful hardware and the most game devs now and Sony is floundering and nothing the Insiders make up will change that.

6 Likes

Agreed. It’s very entertaining and hilarious. I should bet against all the insiders but at this point, would anyone be stupid enough to take that bet??? lol

1 Like

Sony is always cozy with Square Enix so it will get their games and money hat them all the time. And they sells. Other stuff - not so much and mostly go to Nintendo.

I hope MS will make big moves there. With XCloud and PC they should be able to bring devs aboard.

1 Like

Parrappa the Rapper and Ape Escape :sob:

I can’t believe they would rather secure timed exclusive FF and a bunch of other Square Enix games rather than invest in one of their oldest studios. They made some really great games especially in the older days.

Japan Studios made some of my most favorite games of all time and brought incredibly variety to the Playstation lineup. It’s a disappointment this happened, but it isn’t exactly surprising. As great as PS’s AAA content is, there is an overreliance on them which led to this situation (all comes down to sales). The PS4 had a lot of great games, but it is my least favorite Playstation generation in terms of exclusives and variety. They really needed that Game Pass competitor when it comes to the non-flag pole content.

I hope really Bokeh Game Studio is successful and gets to follow what they want to make. I’m sure great games can come from that studio seeing the talent backing it.

3 Likes

Shades of Xbox One era when MS was shutting shutting studios left and right.

4 Likes

Make the call, Phil…

It will be funny if Xbox ends up with more Japanese Studios then Sony soon. MS got one with the Bethesda purchase.

6 Likes

Media and Youtube influencers constantly say that Sony is the one dictating the market. Yeah, sure. Sony is REACTING to the changes caused by another market player…the one which everybody says, since 2001, that will fail and close.

4 Likes

Oy! There is only one sad dad! And that is the dilf that never killed anybody and is more of an eternally grumpy dad! Nathan, Joel and Kratos can not even begin to come close to looking at how much dad Kiryu is!

The dramatic forest simulator I agree with.

But all kidding aside, yeah this one also bit me a bit. It was one of the studios I was envious of with Sony.

Ironic thing is that Sony dictating the market, yet most of the innovations are coming from Xbox starting from Xbox Live (though it started in Dreamcast or something). Without Xbox I think Playstation would be like Nintendo with their internet services.

5 Likes

It seems that the Bloomberg article about Sony not being too interested in Japan is slowly coming to fruition. The sad-dad forest-simulator might be putting a lot of pressure on their smaller first party dev studios too. There is an expectation, now, that PS first party games are only of this type.

There will be more attrition - sadly. And the incompetent/partisan mainstream gaming media will continue to ignore it, or in Kinda Funny’s case have pathetic tone-deaf eulogies for it.

9 Likes

Sony is no longer in a user acquisition phase, they are in a profit phase. They know their fan base isn’t going anywhere. Time to raise prices, eliminate studios who aren’t cutting it, and keep cookie cutting that template.

5 Likes

Since this thread is kinda about Xbox and Japan I just want to say that Inti Creates announced Blaster Master Zero 3 today for pretty much everything (including EGS which I don’t think they’ve done before) EXCEPT for Xbox today. Normally these games are timed Switch exclusives, but this time it’s a day 1 multiplat release. This makes me think that the bridge between Inti and MS has been burned over the Gal Gun Returns being cancelled on Xbox debacle. If that’s the case, that’s really sad, Xbox needs more niche JP devs on board :frowning: .

Time for MS to hire the let go devs and call it Xbox Studio Japan.

1 Like

Nah, the platforms are PC/PS4/Switch because Xbox One is non existent in Japan. Xbox console has no chance in Japan without sizeable investment and XCloud. MS can only tackle that by purchasing studios and making XCloud successful.

A lot of games will still come to PS4 and will be playable on PS5 due to backwards compatibility but I suspect there will be less games on PS5 this time.

They were interested in releasing a game for xbone though, and Ms waited until certification to block, so I can see the relationship being soured in this case