Sony getting rid of most developers from Japan Studio and keeping just a small team

Basically they are firing most devs, closing the studio as it is today and keeping just the Astro team for minor endevours.

PlayStation is winding down Sony Japan Studios

4 Likes

Sony has a first party problem money can’t fix.

7 Likes

says a lot when even Sony are winding down dev in Japan.

1 Like

There goes any chance of a Silent Hill remake from Japan Studio.

6 Likes

As usual, Sony tries to soften their negative moves - and the media mostly goes with it. It was just some days ago that Jim Ryan said they are heavily invested in Japan.

7 Likes

This makes me sad.:frowning:

1 Like

Not a good look.

4 Likes

Confirmed:

2 Likes

Don’t worry Sony fans we’ve all been there

5 Likes

god damn i wish xbox would make a new japanese studio and hire all of the talent leaving

3 Likes

Unfortunate. They made some great games.

1 Like

Wasn’t the silent hill rumor sony Japan studio

I believe so.

Then oof maybe mistranslation?

Nah, just more pretenders seeking attention.

2 Likes

what games did this studio produce?

Ape Escape, The Legend of Dragoon, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Siren, Loco Roco, Patapon, Gravity Rush, Pupeteer and The Last Guardian.

And Knack!

8 Likes

Also helped on Bloodborne and Demon’s Souls recently.

1 Like

Another reminder for everyone that actions have consequences.

Aided and abetted by the games media and their fans Sony has been telling everyone that the only games worth having are big budget, narrative driven, action adventure games. Forget about game of the year if you make anything else.

Jim Ryan: We have a something for people who like Japanese games, it’s called Ghosts of Tsushima

8 Likes

This was inevitable, the talent exodus over the last few months was nothing more than rats fleeing the sinking ship.

It’s really, really sad though. Not many games this studio have been involved with that I haven’t thoroughly enjoyed.

It does make sense for Sony however, it’s much cheaper and considerably more effective to give money to third party publishers for (timed) exclusivity. It’s much more scummy of course, but Sony gets a free pass on their bullshit in a way Xbox never would.

3 Likes