Sony Acquisitions | OT | Organic Sellers Market

I mean it depends on the situation but every company including MS and Sony has a max price they would pay it could also go down to situation. Just for an example, if Sony offers to take on some of their debt for the entire gaming division that might be more desirable to WB Discovery

currently but I wouldn’t be shocked at all if Sony wants to expand a lot on that. That is what I meant

I doubt it would be perminate, just a contracted licensing agreement for a set amount of time which is the only way I see them selling the entire division for a few billion but factoring in the debt they could also pay by taking on an amount of debt or both. Either way if they do the exclusive licensing agreement for a decade which is what I imagine sony would want I would guess maybe $3-5 Billion depending on the contract (like if Sony still needs to pay for the rights despite that licensing agreement or WBD gets a cut of the profit could change the dealing

I wouldn’t say they are not sustainable but they are not as profitable since a lot of single player games are one and dones while games like GTA online, CoD, FIFA, Battlefield ect. have longjevity and ways to monitize their playerbase after buying their game

I was talking hypothetically, I am not sure if they will sell it or not but they seem happy with their gaming division currently but stuff like that mountine of debt could change the story

they would 100% make stuff exclusive, post contractual obligations I would be shocked to see any SE games on switch if they bought them (bungie was a special case, they were private not public so they were in a position to make these kind of demands). I agree SE and Sony would be a great match though but I doubt SE would sell right now. Them selling off their western division and now looking to sell stakes in other studios are moves that scream not looking to sell since it would hurt their value and in turn make them be acquired for less which is something SE wouldn’t want to do

Microsoft won’t allow NRS to slip through their fingers. Sony’s max price is much smaller than Microsoft’s. They could not even get Leyou for example.

Considering the difficulting to find the fighting games studios, history of Matt Booty and Midway, I don’t see Microsoft allowing NRS to be acquired by anybody.

1 Like

IDK, we will have to see. People said the same thing about crystal dynamics when it came to not letting anyone else get them and look how well that played out. I am not say MS will or won’t get them but its hard to read for certain. Also while Sony’s max price is probably lower the debt might be their ticket if they wanted by taking on some of WB debt (granted Sony also has a fuck ton of debt so it is a huge maybe)

I don’t remember thinkig that Microsoft will go and acquire Crystal Dynamics though. Some people believed that for sure.

Why would a company with even worse debt that Microsoft would take more debt on top? At least Microsooft can pay off their debt in cash at once if necessary.

I didn’t mean you, I was speaking generally. I didn’t believe either but for a whole different reason

I am just saying it is a possibility if sony or some else could do (I did even acknowledge Sony’s debt be fair so I wasn’t ignoring that it may not be the most enticing option)

I was thinking, say apple acquired Sony, would they increase the console price ro $799 and release newer versions of that console every 2 years?

1 Like

We might be going towards console generations (unless they will go away) where the consoles are akin mobile phones and other devices where due to BC new devices will support older games and so on. And old devices will be able to play new games until a certain point.

So it might become Xbox Series S2, S3 etc.

Sony is one of those culturally protected Japanese entities that the government has to regulate the sale of. Its not impossible. But realistically …it would be cheaper to purchase EA or Nintendo and have just as appealing games.

Apple would go the streaming route. An app on their store is all they’d need.

More like the price would be raised to $2K once you’re all in with a 2 year service contract.

Apple is not gonna acquire Sony. The vertical integration implications alone will be enough regulatory ammo to shut it down. In fact, I don’t believe Apple will even think about pursuing it in the first place.

1 Like

Why would Apple dilute their 30% profit margin by acquiring Sony which is like a third of this in the best case?

2 Likes

Well, don’t mind if I do:

4 Likes

Seeing some oddly bizarre but not unexpected reactions from this Mobile focused acquisition from the “base” at other places. It’s funny in a sad way.

1 Like

I guess if you squint hard enough, “Savage Game Studios” looks like “Square Enix”?

4 Likes

“We got Square at home.”

mobile phones are square

Kind of hilarious Sony acquisitions have just focused on support studios, mobile platforms, or Bungie that has total autonomy to be a multiplatform studio.

But… I thought they were buying a $20 billion publisher next?

To be fair to Sony, they don’t need to in the short-term, but even if that bites them down the line at least they’re making moves to recognize their deficiencies and pick up studios that help solve, or at least mitigate, them.

5 Likes

Is square even worth it for Sony, they might just keep the money hating thing going. Square don’t fully own dq and kh I think.

To me it wouldn’t be worth it for Sony. I doubt Sony cares about Team Asano games, Horii probably wouldn’t agree to DQ PS exclusivity (nor Disney with KH). People just “want” it to happen because it sounds “romantic”

4 Likes