Sony Acquisitions | OT | Organic Sellers Market

Sony might invest into companies first before buying them too. They really do like small investments.

Because Sony proper is a holding company.

It works really well for them.

Which of the investments resulted in something tangible? I’m sure there is something, but can’t think of anything off hand.

Outside of financial gain from owning a stake I can’t think of any cases where we’ve gotten any information to confirm anything. I would GUESS that owning a small stake at least gives them some level of consideration or priority though. Sony does tend to take advantage of small deals that give them an advantage - marketing deals and console exclusive content tied to contracts that give them timed advantages over Xbox. Maybe it’s closer to that.

1 Like

https://gamerant.com/sony-acquires-ballistic-moon/

Not a Xbox acquisition but I expect the flood gates to open very soon

1 Like

No, you’re just overreacting.

What could they get for 5 billion?

To me fromsoftware seems like it would check a lot of boxes for them. Are they less then 5 billion?

That’s for their whole company. It won’t be used in one area. I expect they’ll potentially spend another billion of that soon on 50% of Michael Jackson’s music if they can win that bidding war.

5 Likes

They just invested in From Software, don’t see them going back for a buyout that quickly.

1 Like

the way SE sell ocidental arm (Eidos,Crystal,Etc) for a -+300mi to embracer, they can sell the oriental arm (FF Studio,Absorved Luminous,Etc) cheap to sony.

but i think they gonna buy Jetpack Interactive, by the historic of small studio who make a partnership ends adquired like Valkyrie Entertainment

To be fair they are planning to spend X amount over the next year across the entire company, it’s not as if they couldn’t find more if they wanted to make a bigger acquisition. Not that I see Take Two happening.

Personally I think they’ll stick to buying up and coming studios they are working closely with and picking up studios that fit the Playstation branding, I don’t think they’re gonna be interested in any publishers unless all of their output already fits them. Like people were talking about Square Enix - I’m sure Sony would LOVE to own Final Fantasy but I don’t think they’d really know what to do with the smaller teams.

1 Like

To this day I still think Bungie managed to rob SONY for that price lol

And MS payed absolutely nothing for Minecraft.

12 Likes

Sony is a historically very conservative company. I do not see them going all in on gaming and purchasing someone for 10+ billion. They are certainly capable of that if they choose to, but why would you go all in on one area when that 10+ billion can strengthen many areas of your company?

If I were them, I would be looking to purchase Paramount. It enters Sony into the streaming race and pairs very nicely with Sony pictures. They can potentially make a very very competitive bundled package of Paramount+ and Playstation+. They would secure multiple big IP. Sony music benefits by adding Paramounts in house music label and their classic soundtracks. Playstation can leverage the big IP like Star Trek.

This acquisition would definitely be slanted some towards Sony Pictures, however, that would likely be seen as a good thing by Sony. In recent years Sony has become increasingly Playstation dominated. For a conservative company, having so much of your company success dominated by one area is concerning and likely a reason we are seeing the type of reaction that we are from Sony in regards to ABK. Reducing risk by smoothing this out, benefits shareholders more than ratcheting up risk in one business area.

3 Likes

After they bought Bungie they had $10b left so they must have spent at least $4b more in the last calendar year.

There must have been some unannounced purchase(s) in the past year.

i gueus CDPR or FromSoft?

That is for ALL OF SONY, across the entire company – it’s not only for PlayStation.

11 Likes

No they literally cannot not disclose large acquisitions

6 Likes

5 billion (for the entire company) ain’t enough for SE, Capcom, or CDPR some of you were doom posting about.

5 Likes

I hope they don’t win that.

Part of why I hate Sony is because of what they did to Michael Jackson.

Maybe they buy Ubisoft :grin:

3 Likes