Shadowdrop: Age of Empires IV is coming to Xbox today

Originally published at: Shadowdrop: Age of Empires IV is coming to Xbox today - XboxEra

During Gamescom’s Opening Night Live Microsoft revealed Age of Empires IV for Xbox is releasing today. Last year Microsoft and World’s Edge revealed Age of Empires II Definitive Edition and Age of Empires IV would be coming to Xbox consoles.

Back in January Age of Empires II Definitive Edition launched on Xbox to very favorable reviews. Today Microsoft shadowdropped the fourth installment – made by Relic Entertainment – for consoles.

Age of Empires IV will be available for Xbox Series X|S and Xbox Game Pass. The game is a Play Anywhere title which means that if you’ve bought the game on Windows 10/11 you will also be able to play it on Xbox. This does only work for the Microsoft Store, not for Steam.

12 Likes

3 Likes

Really looking forward to trying this. Got an Xbox last week (have yet to install it tho) so will try it with a controller soon.

4 Likes

I think I’m going to give this a shot. I’ve been a big AoE fan for decades, but I haven’t put much time into the PC version of this yet. Hopefully the controls are serviceable for this.

3 Likes

Also coming to Xbox Cloud Gaming.

30 FPS on Xbox One

60 FPS on Xbox Series X|S

7 Likes

Is AoE 2 or AoE 4 a better starting point for someone new to the franchise? I’m leaning towards 4 since it is new.

From what i’ve seen 2 DE is regarded as the best and most popular one in the series. 4 is the one that’s supposed to be more beginner friendly and easier to learn, but people still like it.

If you have Game Pass I would say to try both, but for just starting I would go with 4.

2 Likes

I played 10 minutes before going to bed yesterday and it runs great and plays really well.

I’m so happy to have Age of Empires on console.

1 Like

Cool, glad this one is out and glad AOE is a ful Xbox Franchise now.

3 Likes

I find the battle of Hastings really confusing. Reminds me of working in a restaurant