Shadow of the Tomb Raider might be getting optimized for Xbox Series X|S soon

So since the game already was native 4K on XSX, this whole update pretty much does nothing for the game? So the actual only new thing about this patch is for PE5, because I believe it wasn’t native or dynamic 4K yet on that?

Oh it does something

It makes the FPS Boost Update irrelevant

Yeah you’re right! I thought Ori was a proper Gen 9 GDK updated title. Thanks for the correction. Makes this update even more disappointing lol.

2 Likes

So… basically nothing new? Wtf.

1 Like

I guess as long as it doesn’t mess up Quick Resume, make the game much bigger, or make it so it can’t be played from an external HDD, I’m OK with an update that doesn’t add much.

Especially if it smooths out whatever issues apparently crop up in the later parts of the game, or if it means people without an Xbox can still get a good experience.

Thank you Mike! I’m not sure how much clearer MS could have been with FPS Boost, and all the interviews with Jason Ronald specifying its function. FPS Boost is precisely as its name suggests: purely a method of boosting framerate. Furthermore, I’m not sure how much clearer they can be when they’ve had over a dozen interviews with Jason and other engineers to specify that the feature requires no additional work from the original developers, whilst making it clear that this is not a resolution boost (a la Heutchy Method) or a substitute for ‘Optimized For’ featuresets. At this point, I think it’s pretty easy to argue that those negating the merits of ‘FPS Boost’ because it doesn’t improve resolution or other graphical features aren’t arguing in good-faith.

As for the rest of the community, there are plenty of threads to discuss the hardware, comparisons of the Series consoles, and other technical elements not related to Shadow of the Tomb Raider :wink:

2 Likes