Series S raytracing for fun via Watch Dogs

I think the series S will surprise people. While I expect some sacrifices it will still be a good experience, I dont expect game breaking stuff that the oh x1 and x1s experienced ( 22fps in star wars fallen order and other asset loading problems) games are scalable enough at this point framerate wont be a problem for the seriesS unless the developer is incompetent.

Negligible they say. And sure, on smaller tv’s a resolution differences of 1440p and native 4K isn’t easy to notice. Move to a bigger screen to, 55 to 65 inch and up and I think the difference is going to be bigger. Even though 1440p can absolutely be a sweetspot.

That being said, we heard WDL is 1440p upscaled to 4K for XSX with raytracing and everything. PS5 will have it too, but also at the exact same resolution? If that’s the case it makes me wonder if they didn’t use the full potential of XSX. Because if we are to believe Ubi PR, ACV is upscaled 4K on PS5 and native 4K on XSX.

When all is said and done…

This is incredibly impressive. It costs less than a Switch but look at what it does.

For a $300 console that will probably be $200 in a few years time when the price drop hits, I would say that Watch Dogs Legion looks pretty damn impressive.

1 Like

Because price is a factor. A factor many seem to forget. The price of the Series S, with no noticeable differences on cheaper panels, will make it a success in the long run.

IT is not just TV Size though, it’s also panel quality. Not all panels are created equal. You can get a great OLED/QLED panel, or a big LED panel with a color range and pixel build up that just sucks. In the later range you won’t see much difference either, as the pixels will just bleed together.

1 Like

@KageMaru THIS is one reason I’m bullish on RT this gen. This is on XSS, at launch, from a 3rd party team and without the benefit of any ML work on denoising. As the gen moves on, there will be more and more leaps in algorithms related to RT denoising that I expect will get way beyond this. Still, a very good starting point!

1 Like

Oh yeah, I never meant to insinuate that we won’t see good RT this gen. I just don’t think it’ll match up to what we see from PC, even the 2000 series of Nvidia GPUs. You are right that RT will get better and I am curious to see how the tech evolves over the course of this generation. I just hope we don’t get to a point where developers feel obligated to include it due to public expectations or pressure.

4 Likes

I think what games like Demon’s Souls show is ingenuity can go a long way to the point you may be better off than raytracing. Part of the reason the models in Halo Reach and 4 frankly look better than Infinite’s right now is they accomodated for the limitations. The models in Infinite are objectively better and if lit properly, that will show, but Bungie and 343 in the 360 days knew the tech wasn’t there and so modified the models and lighting accordingly.

Sometimes Raytracing will be the answer. Sometimes global illumination. Sometimes neither and performance or scope is the key (I’m not expecting Raytracing in Starfield because it’s gonna be goddamn massive).

1 Like

Yeah that’s true. The dynamic time of day in Infinite does introduce some complications or challenges for them to overcome in the indirectly lit areas.

1 Like

Man was never into Watchdogs, but this looks so good. Does this game has a cool campaign or is it mostly a sandbox in London?

It’s really good imo, like the story but I’m probably not the best source because I don’t get annoyed/pissed off easily so it’s pretty easy to please me haha. I had a lot of fun playing the game and I couldn’t stop playing it even though I wanted to save it for Series X haha.

1 Like

I bet XSX surpasses current GPU’s doing RT as they do today via ML denoising. Of course, new GPU’s also have ML but I just mean relative to where things are today. :slight_smile:

I think as perf improves it will show up in more titles and be more naturally implemented too.

DS’s lighting is nothing special and doesn’t come close to looking as good as RT’d lighting. The game genuinely isn’t all that special visually speaking.

1 Like

Heck! You have taken the conversation to completely different topic.

Me and Staffy where not discussing what you are trying to say here. Even playing on one S will be justifible for someone. But price wasn’t what we were talking about.

200 (1)

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

Lol yeah, people should just give up with any ambitions of consoles matching desktop GPUs, they never will. They do and will compete in price for performance but even that shall be contested down the line. Desktop technology simply evolves at a much faster rate than a fixed for generation console APUs.

It’s all part of the equation, including what screen you have at home. You are talking about the difference being negligible or not. But that is entirely depending on an ideal situation, one you might have as an enthusiast, but most people don’t. I feel it is missing in these discussions, and is totally on topic as it is brushed aside on other gaf as well.

The empathic power towards the casual player and family player is often missing. And in those situations, yes the difference will be negligible. Price is another factor in this comparison, whether you think it is, or not.

That might make you annoyed, as you seem to be a bit here, and that I annoyed you fills me with regret. Yet I do not regret my points, as again, most gamers seem to forget real world scenarios and why they matter.

It is totally impressive that a 300 dollar console can do ray tracing and that fidelity at that resolution. You can’t even get a GPU that can do that for that money right now. Maybe if the gtx 3060 is released, but that is still a few months away.

And considering it is just resolution, yes the difference is negligible in real world situations.

I understand it is a common view…but it is not based in the real world. Consoles always catch and surpass what is doable on launch-window GPU’s by the end of their cycle. ATM, RT isn’t being done using ML. That will change.

Nvidia rt isn’t using ML either though

I know. Not yet.

Did the Xbox one? I guess it depends on how you decide. Did the Xbox one ever even hit the performance of launch window cards? I’d argue not.