SEGA, Bungie Among Many Studios Considered for Acquisition by Microsoft to Bolster Game Pass and Mobile Efforts

Yeah I saw that. Wonder if they are still up for consideration or if those ideas fell through because the risks the weighed out the benefits. They are one of my favorite studios and help fill a gap I think still exists within Xbox. So it’d be cool to see it happen. Hell even if they just repaired the relationship and started working together again would be cool enough for me.

Probably hands full with Zenimax and ABK. I don’t think we can write anyone off until they are bought by Sony or EA. It ain’t over til its over.

1 Like

When I heard they’ve been watching Focus Entertainment too I must admit I got a little excited!

1 Like

In what way? Call of Duty by itself is better than SEGA and IOI combined, and I’m someone that thinks they should get IOI. Also it might not matter maybe they end up with ABK, SEGA and IOI.

1 Like

Where is Asobo?

1 Like

Better how?

Sheer magnitude. Instant results. The better Xbox business does, the more MS will spend on it. They see game pass printing cash and want to supercharge it.

1 Like

I will die on the hill that they will eventually get Sega.

6 Likes

I would agree if it were another Western Publisher.

I think a Japanese publisher is justifiable due to their lack of success in Japan, the apparent hole in their portfolio for family-friendly content, and the fact that SEGA can creatively benefit from access to more funds.

Bringing this all back to a consumer-centered perspective: I think it can be argued that this form of consolidation would benefit the industry and consumers more than hurt either of them.

I see many games, especially existing IPs from Atlas, remaining multi-platform due to the fact that the PlayStation is completely dominant in Japan. With MS needing to be extra sensitive about how they carry this out (for example RGG Studio cited the potential of hurt morale among employees if they made a Switch version of the Yakuza games), I don’t see it as a play to remove titles from the competition or change the direction of SEGA’s Studios.

I don’t think all titles will be multi-platform but I think, just like Sony with Bungie, MS would be less concerned about making everything exclusive when Sega brings so much more in regards to understanding the international audience.

An example of this being beneficial to consumers is the potential with SEGA’s back catalogue. Something that could be made exclusive and not necessarily something that is anti-competitive considering that these titles wouldn’t have seen the light of day otherwise.

I’d have preferred a mixture of these over ABK. Alan wake 2, Ryse 2 etc.

What makes me laugh is I posted in the other thread (Xbox Acquisition |OT6| If this is about competition, let us have competition - #9231 by LeeLayfield ) that it’s easily to purchase proctor companies and the above proves Xbox was mostly targeting private (self publishing) devs.

2 Likes

8 Likes

We’re is everyone getting this imagines ?

Here is the link.

RX1141 REDACTED.pdf (uscourts.gov)

3 Likes

Smashing thanks :+1:

Sega part is interesting how they’ll remain multiplatform, but games will launch on gamepass. However, one thing that’s on my mind, but wouldn’t Bethesda for example be jealous about that? Because I am sure they want to maximize by also being multiplatform.

1 Like

Sega would be exclusive to Xbox, don’t read too much into it.

Thanks! Thats a very insightful document.

So according to Microsoft Outriders was a critical and commercial success and impressed them measured by Xbox KPI. Interesting. So SE probably deceived People Can Fly with their Game Pass deal.

2 Likes

I think they would make Yakuza and Atlus games multiplatform. However, I think they’ll possibly make sonic and Sega western studio games exclusive.

1 Like

Maybe they just have different criteria for success.