Step 1. Release unfinished game

Step 2. Keep on releasing content

Step 3. Tweet about Million of players achievement

11 Likes

Wow.

That’s… a lot. Lol.

1 Like

fire-eyes

This is 100% Rare’s most succesful game now.

7 Likes

Seems like the xbox one “stench” didnt affect SoT huh.

1 Like

So looks like MS does like giving out concrete numbers like this, perhaps when they are indeed succeeding well. Not surprised. Good for Rare tho, they’re having the time of their lives with SoT.

1 Like

A year or two ago, Rare said that the user base was split 50:50 between paid versions and Game Pass. Even if that slipped somewhat, there is a reasonable chance that the game might have sold 10 million units despite being in Game Pass.

2 Likes

Not even the launch stench affected it too, people were hating on iirc at launch. Impressive turn around.

Interesting huh

IIRC it already was a year ago for all I can remember. It was Xbox’s most successful new IP in the Xbox One generation (not that they had as many of those to begin with tho)

The real testament is UK sales, so this means nothing.

8 Likes

Yeah, that’s like the only stat that counts. It is known.

1 Like

the real metric is how many people have pirated Sea of Thieves, and because it’s online only and can’t be cracked, the effective Pirate userbase of SoT is 0. So the game is a massive resounding failure. Just the facts, I’m sorry.

1 Like

Sea of Thieves sails to No.1 in UK charts | GamesIndustry.biz

:wink:

2 Likes

THE END IS NIGH!

Pirating SoT is how the game is meant to be played

2 Likes

When every pirate plays, we all win. Yarrr

1 Like

I chuckled.

But can it beat Pokémon over Japan?

1 Like

That’s probably around 150m in sales alone on Steam… before you add MTX, Win10 store and console sales. SoT has secretly been a nice cash cow for MS.

Also would like to point out these stats on steamdb are pretty close

2 Likes