Sea of Thieves Season 7 is setting sail August 4th with the addition of captaincy and much more

Originally published at: Sea of Thieves Season 7 is setting sail August 4th with the addition of captaincy and much more - XboxEra

Are you ready to be a captain? You should be, as Season 7 of Sea of Thieves is releasing this week. In this season players will – finally – be able to be a captain of their own ship. And being a captain doesn’t just cost you gold, it also brings some benefits. Today Rare revealed a new trailer which explains everything about Season 7.

From August 4th you’ll be able to:

• Purchase a ship
  • Name it as you desire (with some obvious restrictions)
  • Decorate it
  • Save it between sessions (including the markings of a battle-torn ship
  • Restore the ship to a pristine state
  • Fill your ship with cannonballs, food and planks in exchange of gold

Besides this, there’s a new way to progress within a game. It’s called milestones. It’s a permanent record of everything you’ve done in the game. It’s like the Xbox Achievement system, but with in-game rewards.

During a session your voyages and activities will be recorded in a captain’s logbook. Which is nice to have, especially for other players as they’ll be able to sell it to the Reaper’s Bones for gold and reputation.

Sea of Thieves Season 7 is starting August 4th and is a free addition to all Sea of Thieves players on Xbox, Windows, Steam and Game Pass.

5 Likes

I want to be excited about Sea of Thieves again, but the core gameplay loop remains the same through all of these updates, and I’ve played the game to death now.

I just don’t see a path back in :pensive:

Yeah, I get what you mean. I haven’t REALLY touched the game in the past 2 years. I’ve played some on my own a few times, but no real long sessions. But, there is some light on the horizon. Friends of mine (whol sold their Xbox One X for a Series X, which they sold 3 months after launch) got a Series X. So there might be some SoT time on the horizon.

I’m still enjoying the core gameplay loop as ever, this update is very exciting to me. And since the game seems to be gaining more and more players, I don’t think they need to change the core gameplay loop ( which rarely happens I think in video games ). Maybe revisiting the fighting system but that would be about it for me.

3 Likes

I’m just gonna beat a very dead horse again, haha: Give me PvE servers and I’ll go back! :wink:

1 Like

Amazing looking update. They really keep fleshing things out more and more in a great way. Only major thing I personally want at this point is an expansion to the Hunter’s Call faction to have them sending us off on the hunt for mythical sea/land beasts. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like
2 Likes

I think this might be the update that nabs me.

Introducing persistence with the ship will actually make me care about gold and progress.