Ryse: Son of Rome (2013). An underrated game ? Does it deserve a sequel?

1. One of the most underrated games of the generation

2. 137% deserves a sequel (one was almost going to happen)

3. The irony that Xbox had the first “Sony game” of the generation

4 Likes

It was a good game but it’s very lacking in variety. It’s one of those games that has obvious potential. I don’t think we’ll get a sequel anytime soon, if ever.

1 Like

I’ve been trying to explain this to people for seven years, the true gameplay loop doesn’t actually work until you use hard mode. On medium mode it doesn’t matter how well you do the executions, you still get the rewards, but on hard mode you need to carefully (and rapidly) make decisions about which buff you’re aiming for, and it changes the game completely.

I assumed at the time that reviewers wee just playing on medium mode and thought that the game was just incredibly simple and easy, and that hampered the review scores. If hard mode had simply been used for medium mode, this would have had a bigger following due to the difficulty and speed of thought needed in combat.

I try to convince friends of this, and they won’t try it again

1 Like

If they improved the gameplay/prompts it would make for a pretty darn good SP campaign.

Absolutely would like to see a sequel of Ryse. In fact, Ryse, QB and Recore are franchises that worth try another shot, imo

2 Likes

Quantum Break was genuinely entertaining and a different experience.

Still until this day the best Graphics I’ve seen on any of the base consoles from last gen.
Looked better to me than any base XB1 or PS4 game imo.

Once again not owning the IP and studio bites MS in the rear.

1 Like

Yes it does. A good place would be feudal Japan or during the babylonians era.

1 Like

I’ll be honest. I’d really like to see a sequel with some RPG elements

1 Like

It’s mind boggling that Ryse looked so damn good at launch. On the Xbox One. It had it’s flaws but all the pieces were there. With tweaks to gameplay a sequel would be amazing.

Just look at the original Assassin’s Creed with Altair. It was nice but heavily flawed and extremely repetitive. Look what that franchise turned into.

This franchise could turn into something big if only given a chance.

3 Likes

I’d love a Ryse sequel that improves on everything gameplay wise to the original. Hell I would have loved an X patch for the first game. But it looks like that’s just not going to happen. Thing is MS doesn’t really need the Ryse IP to make a similar game. Hell I’m sure Ninja Theory could knock its style of combat out of the park if they ever did a Similar game.

2 Likes

I loved the game and love to see a sequel and even a 4K Series X patch for the original too. It was like a AAA big budget Golden Axe game and all the better for it. Nice simple pick and play old school fun, none of the open world stuff .

2 Likes

I played the game late and had a fantastic time. Didn’t know about wanting to have sequels in different eras. I would love to see a mesoamerica ryse game.

Need more Mesoamerica games in general.

2 Likes

Ryse is my favorite game from the Xbox One launch. I think it’s a great game and definitely underrated.

It’s a shame it never got an X1X patch, and is unlikely to get an XSX/XSS patch - I’ll bet it would hold up pretty well at 4K/60.

As for a sequel, I absolutely think it deserves one. I think Ryse could be made into an IP like AC, where each game features a different protagonist and setting.

2 Likes

Yes, it was a good 3rd person action game, a little too much on the rails IMO, would like to see a 2nd game have a little more open space to it

1 Like

The art direction and cinematics were from the future. Literally. Gameplay was fun but limited.

That’s unfortunate that the Xbox One launch killed that IP. It was the perfect launch game. It deserved much better.

It’s crazy that Sony had a similar case in The Order 1886. And everyone seem to want sequel to these games, still to this day. What is it with these games ? I’m not sure. Is it only because of graphics ?

1 Like

I had a great time with that game. I enjoyed the story, combat, the arena mode, and of course the graphics. I’d love to see another game

I would love for Ryse to get a Sequel

1 Like