Rumor: Valve is Trying to Get Game Pass on Steam

Wow that’s some high level misinformation there. Here is his exact quote

“ Don’t believe this idea being pushed by some that Xbox Game Pass isn’t making money and isn’t sustainable. I know for a fact that this is simply untrue.”

He knows for a fact that it’s making money and is sustainable. Making money means profitable in my world.

Agree with this, but I’m wondering what Valve gets out of it. Remember, the rumor is that Valve went to MS here, not that MS was pushing Valve on it.

I would imagine killing the Windows store/Xbox app. If I had a choice to use The Xbox app or Steam, I would choose Steam.

1 Like

Whenever Xbox and steam is talked about - my attention always goes to VR.

Sony has sold most VR headsets. Facebook is selling best VR headset which is literally outpacing valves own htc vive headset on steam.

They want momunetum and they believe xbox can give it to them.

VR gaming can’t be done on a budget PC.

Xbox series X fits the right spot to be the open platform console for VR, if Xbox agrees to steam OS on Xbox.

Given your username, I’d presume your head is always thinking of that anyhow. :stuck_out_tongue:

That could be true though. Maybe a VR partnership is something Valve wants here. Steam OS won’t ever come to Xbox though.

1 Like

Guilty on my name :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

true but Series S can’t be able to run any future VR game at the required framerate (I suspect 90fps minimum) and I don’t know if MS wants to make games that are exclusive to Series X alone.

With valve bringing the games to Xbox via steam OS there really isn’t a problem. Xbox don’t have to make games exclusive for series X either. The PC will make games, Xbox series X will be an end point. Also, series S can’t play VR games, maybe with quest 2 like graphics? Not sure. But hey, PS4 played some VR games just fine.

The problem is, Xbox doesn’t want to invest in VR yet. So let players have a choice via Steam integration. That’s why discuss Steam OS on Xbox. If Xbox starts bringing VR games in Gamepass, no need for Steam on Xbox for me.

The framerate isn’t the issue so much as resolution I’d wager. Unlike TV’s where there is a casual tier of 1080p, there isn’t really a lower fidelity, cheap 1080p HMD afaik. DLSS can help get the res up though, but they would need to do that on just about every game I think.

True but still, how is framerate not an issue? I’ve heard anything below 80-90 is very nauseating and borderline unplayable for VR. And series s can hardly pull off 60 let alone 90 without dropping resolution to 1080 or sometimes even 900p, at least for the foreseeable future.

To attain that the resolution would have to be axed a lot, and if that’s done, well, your comment answers it. And yeah, it’d be a further logistical nightmare to have super sampling for every one of those games.

1 Like

XSS does fine with framerates typically. The only times it has issues are when devs use awkwardly high resolutions (like Mortal Shell). If a VR game can run on XSX fine at full res in the HMD, it should do same on XSS except lower internal res (which DLSS could fix). Again though, I think you might be right in being skeptical since that would require basically all the VR games to use DLSS for XSS.

THEN AGAIN, someone could point out that XSS is more powerful than PS4 Pro is and that had VR games. So…who knows.

1 Like