Review | High On Life

Eurogamer hated it so it must be good, I’ll be giving it a go.

I’ve read these comments too , yet I’ve played for 3 hours and haven’t had any issues at all. Probably worth trying it out for yourself.

1 Like

That comment was me after having played until the city part. It’s a strange situation.

The early parts try to hit 60fps but it struggles to do so, especially outside. Once you get the city that we saw at E3 and it seems like a locked 30fps. It isn’t trying to get to 60fps at all anymore once you’re there.

Some people speak of the game making them dizzy, that’s the motion blur causing it. Disable that and it’s gone.

I’m on XSX. The first area after you leave the house. And there is some stutter/judder issue with some strange blur/ double frame sync issue when panning. There’s something not right here. First impressions this is downright poor from a technical perspective. Makes no difference whether its in 120hz or 60hz and whether or not VRR is engaged. It also looks a tad soft and no HDR.

But it does have a great intro from a story telling perspective.

Overall impression is one of there’s something good here which needs patching though.

Thats usually the first thing I do in all games. Works fine for movies, but in games it mostly doesnt suit me at all.

Sometimes I even lower or turn off CA (Chromatic Aberration) color fringes along with lens flares. It depends how overboard they go with the Michael Bay level effects.

I think the big takeaway here is that @Sikamikanico has broken eyes.

3 Likes

And someone who got so tired of Rick and Morty and found it cringe during the third season when I bailed out, you should give this game a chance. It’s a funny game and a fun one with a really interesting world.

Buddy of mine too, he has had no issues. But some people genuinely don’t see it. One buddy of mine cannot see the difference between 30fps and 60fps.

Absolutely. Blur often makes stuff worse and CA too. But maybe in this case it can help, some games have horrible stutter if they are 30fps games, it might help for some players in this game since it seems the rest of the game is indeed 30fps.

Yep.

The prologue tries to go for 60fps but struggles all around. As soon as we see the city it’s like locked 30fps and not trying at all to get to 60fps anymore. It’s odd that they didn’t keep this consistent. If it’s gonna be 30fps, do it for the prologue too.

I would love to have this big city in 60fps but I’m not sure they are gonna succeed in this with patches. In the store it says 60fps+. Well…no way in hell.

3 Likes

My PC ran Blim city at about 180 fps, weird.

I wonder what the profile is like when playing on a 1080p display. If it uses lower internal resolution and sticks to 60fps or it renders higher at 30fps then downscales at the display output step.

Normally games dont know the actual resolution of the output display, but that may have changed since the One X with these Series consoles. This is something I havent seen covered because the world moved onto 4K HDR sets.

Damn… maybe I should wait with this a bit.

Hows that backlog doing? Or are you in the stage of growing it now?

1 Like

Which one? I seem to have one on Game Pass too now :phil_lmao:

But yeah, it will grow in the coming weeks… Will still end up with a bit less at the end of the year than when it started, so that’s something.

1 Like

It’s definitely weird.

And at first I thought it was clear what it was, but it’s not that black and white. Initially it seemed to be at locked 30fps in the city, but it’s trying to get to 60fps again in some areas and when I turn around it stutters again.

Highly recommended if you’re on Xbox.

I played a little of the city and it’s great when it comes to details, the humor. I have a feeling I’m gonna love this one, but I want to experience it in the best way possible on Xbox. I’ll wait. Busy with Xuan Yuan Sword 7 anyway.

2 Likes

Spoiler alert

Who the fuck priorities croutch over double jump in a game

Total mad fun :joy:

2 Likes

Lol. Yeah I was trying to be as kind as possible in my words previously. But for me this has gone down like the titanic and it’s already uninstalled.

Happy for those who can see past all of it and are enjoying the game. :blush:

2 Likes

It’s such a shame man, because beneath the ugly performance is a game made with love. You can see it in many things, this really is something special but definitely hurt by bad framerate issues.

I have faith they’ll sort these out and in the meantime I’ll play other stuff. It sucks though, was so looking forward to playing this day one.

3 Likes

High on Life deserves more attention. Why doesn’t this game have any paid advertising on social media? Where are the trailers on YouTube? The paid twitch streamers? They were so unprepared

What is this?!? Nobody cares but the game is so fun. This is ridiculous

Just went to get another shot and there’s a 9.92GB update.

2 Likes