Review | Ghostwire: Tokyo

I mean it has a lot of checklist activities thats just there. You can ignore them i guess but seems like a waste when a more focused smaller map would have been better

What mode did you end up going with?

Yesterday on Twitter and today on some forums I see people claiming it’s superior on PS5 and how that’s embarrassing for a Xbox Game Studio. If true, I agree, it would be a real bad look. DF doesn’t have a video yet, but ElAnalistaDebits does have one and all I’m seeing is XSX and PS5 trading blows, sometimes the green line (Xbox) is higher, sometimes the blue line is. Some folks just can’t be honest I guess.

But even without any of the versus stuff, this is not a good look anyway and it’s OK to not be OK with it. They had a whole year to smooth out performance. As much as I dislike delays this here is an example of where it would have been a good example for Xbox to delay, for them to say, guys, we can’t release it like this.

I am hopeful (glad) that they didn’t spend a whole year to smooth out the performance or delay it. It’s a pretty average looking game and I’m not mad if they kept a very tiny crew there doing this updates whole moving on to the next project.

1 Like

On that I can agree with, bring on their next big one. Wonder if it will be horror themed again or like HFR making something else again. Johanas made HFR, right?

1 Like

This is where I stopped reading.

2 Likes

It’s not like only bullshit is spoken there though :slight_smile:

There were quite a few people that said these people were lying and that neither is superior or inferior.

played 2 hours of this, so far its interesting but the the combat takes way too long and its not challenging. I am playing on hard and enemies takes way too long to kill and its ruining the combat for me.

Does dropping to normal help get rid of enemies quicker?

Played about ten hours so far, really enjoying the game. As a huge dork it’s really fun to explore a big open world Tokyo, but it reminds me of what I like about Kamurocho in Yakuza - it’s this densely packed map where every street is so full of visual detail and feels totally unique. It’s been a lot of fun to just run around doing whatever seems fun to do in the moment. And you can really feel the talent of the art team once you start going into the more linear sections and have all these incredible ghostly visions as the building warps around you and everything starts going nuts.
As for gameplay - I don’t think I’m gonna rush to try and do EVERYTHING the open world map has to offer, doesn’t seem like the sort of game that would benefit from playing as a completionist - but combat is satisfying enough and even though it’s basically a FPS I appreciate that it comes at it from a unique angle.

1 Like

I played on performance. Played another hour today. Im done with it

Just bland gameplay experience. Story seems uninteresting too. Tokyo seems cool and graphics are nice. Game is a huge wet fart though. Just not fun to play whatsoever. Should have been a 3rd person action game.

The framerate is all over the place no matter which option I choose; with VRR not having much of an affect either - especially outdoors.

Visually I think it looks stunning with all the lights at night with the rain as well but the performance is just not here.

1 Like

Plated it on my S the last couple of nights. Actually really enjoying it for the atmosphere, something is rather relaxing about running around saving souls.

Will be curious to see when combat fatigue sets in, I only just got fire.

1 Like

I made that point on social media when you see people saying this gen is crap graphically. This gen you really need to invest in a good TV and then the current gen opens up.

VRR and Dolby Vision are game changers to me and XBox’s VRR is so better done and implemented to the SONY model (but gets no credit for it)

3 Likes

Play the game Staffy mate, It utterly amazing (after a slow start) and so cool and its a wonder to walk around the world. I love it

5 Likes

The world really is the best part, I’m consistently blown away how unique and hand crafted it all feels after a dozen hours of exploring the city.

1 Like

I agree, it really makes the game and the whole spooky atmosphere is incredible. It’s like playing a Japanese manga film, mixed with Sammo Hung’s Close Encounters

3 Likes

Yeah, the TV is half the console experience.

1 Like

And sadly so many are missing out on next gen features down to their TV

I have fallen in love with this game. It is basically GOTY type material for me right now after quite a few hours. The world of Tokyo is so detailed and cool to explore, and the gameplay loop is just very satisfying for me cleansing areas and dealing with the spirits in the side missions who have some interesting story of needing to help pass on. It almost feels like an adult version of Luigi’s mansion for me when I am saving spirits :slight_smile:

I am playing on my Series X in the High Performance mode with V-sync, and it has never seemed like the frame rate was messing me up at all when playing. It actually still looks quite good on my 65" TV in that mode and plays really nice.

I love Game Pass because it lets me try out things like this and make me really glad to have Tango Gameworks with Xbox going forward.

6 Likes

Yep, it’s really good. It’s gorgeous and relaxing to play. Gameplay loop is indeed really statisfying.

The controls are weird and I’d have liked for them to be smoother for sure, but everything else is just so damn fun.

Dead zones at 1

Acceleration/Deceleation 100

Everything else at 25-30

It’s not a fast game, aiming should be slow I guess.

2 Likes