Review | Audeze Maxwell Wireless Gaming Headset for Xbox

Originally published at: Review | Audeze Maxwell Wireless Gaming Headset for Xbox - XboxEra

For the past few months, I’ve been using the best gaming headset I’ve ever put on my giant head. Audeze’s Maxwell Wireless Gaming Headset for Xbox is the best sounding, most comfortable, and highest quality set of headphones I have ever used. An incredibly long-lasting battery is matched with an excellent set of features. Only the lack of a direct Xbox connection for the dual audio mode to work with Bluetooth at the same time lets things down. Let’s break down why this is the one to save up for.

The version shown in below pictures is a limited-edition item sent to me by Audeze for review. The headset is black by default.

Sure! Here’s an improved version of the text:

Specifications (per Audeze):

• Type: Over-ear, open-back headphones
  • Transducer type: Planar magnetic
  • Driver size: 106 mm
  • Frequency response: 10Hz – 50kHz
  • Sensitivity: 103dB/1mW
  • Impedance: 70 ohms
  • Maximum power handling: 5W
  • Weight: 635g
  • Audio Style – Over-ear (circumaural), closed-back
  • Transducer type – Planar Magnetic
  • Magnetic structure – Fluxor™ magnet array
  • Phase management – Fazor™
  • Magnet type – Neodymium N50
  • Diaphragm type – Ultra-Thin Uniforce™
  • Transducer size – 90 mm
  • Maximum SPL – >120dB
  • Frequency response – 10Hz – 50kHz
  • THD – <0.1% (@ 1 kHz, 1mW)
  • Spatial Audio – Dolby Atmos® (Xbox Version), Tempest 3D (PlayStation Version)
  • Weight – 490g
  • Microphones – Boom Microphone Detachable, Hypercardioid – Beamforming Physical and AI noise reduction, Internal mic for chat
  • Power – Battery | Type Lithium-polymer, 1800mAh
  • Battery life – Over 80 hrs wireless playback @ 80dBA
  • Fast charge – USB-C, 5v 1.8 Amp max – 25% charge / 20min (Full charge 2hr)
  • Connection – Wireless Ultra-low-latency Bluetooth: 5.3. Supports: Multipoint, LE Audio, LC3, LC3plus, LDAC, AAC, SBC
  • Wired – Digital USB-C with dual-audio endpoints and game-chat mix
  • Wired – Analog 3.5mm TRRS active
  • Warranty – 1 year
  • Package Includes – Maxwell headset, Detachable hypercardioid boom microphone, USB-C wireless -dongle, USB-C to USB-C cable

The Experience

The first thing you’ll notice with the Maxwell is the weight. It’s not a light headset in your hands. Thanks to its excellent one-size-shapes-to-all headband approach this was rarely an issue in longer gaming sessions. I’ve been using the headset for the last 3 months or so & have only felt fatigued while wearing them after incredibly long review sessions. The type that last 12 hours because you’re having so much fun or have too little time for embargo.

The first time I put them on I went into a Dolby Atmos speaker test and was blown away.  The 90mm planar magnetic drivers provide a clear soundstage while offering impactful but tasteful bass.  Using the Audeze app on a phone or windows you can choose through a number of different EQ settings, all of them gently prodding certain levels up.  It’s never full treble, bass, or a mix of both.  Every part of the soundscape is finely tuned, and they only provide the gentlest of nudges in your desired direction.

The headset comes with a charging cable, and you’ll need to put it in a familiar place because you’ll go extremely long periods of time in between uses.  The Maxwell states it has 80+ hours of battery life, and it’s true.  From the first time I charged to full until the battery was fully dissipated I played over 95 hours of Starfield.  In the three months I’ve had the headset I have charged it twice, and I use this thing every day.  Below is an image showing off the ports and buttons on the device.  I found them well positioned and easy to use.

Connections and the Mic

To connect to an Xbox (or PC) you will use the included USB dongle.  While I wish the device had native Xbox Wireless support the dongle offers up a far more consistent and long-range capable experience than I’m used to on Xbox.  On PC and Mobile you can connect with Bluetooth 5.3 for a low-latency and excellent sounding experience as well.  Support for USB and 3.5mm physical connections round out an excellent suite of connection choices.

The only failure is that of the dongle and Bluetooth not working at the same time. The only way to have both Xbox and PC audio is if you use the 3.5mm wire to connect to your controller instead of the Dongle. I miss that ease-of-use case that headsets like the Xbox 1st party solution have. Still, with how damned good everything sounds in this headset it’s a worthy sacrifice.

There are two microphones available with the headset.  A poor sounding beam forming back is always there, ready to go in a pinch for phone calls or game chat.  An included detachable boom mic sounds better, though still behind most other headphones in this price range.  I rarely use game chat but it is something to consider if you do.

In Conclusion

The Audeze Maxwell Wireless Gaming Headset is the best gaming focused headset I’ve ever used. With the best battery life, clearest sound, and impeccable build quality it justifies it’s $330 US MSRP.

Audeze supplied Xbox Era with their limited-edition Ultraviolet Maxwell headset for this review.

3 Likes

How does it compare to the penrose?

I wish I knew, but these are the first Audezes I’ve been lucky enough to get a review sample of.

2 Likes

I just got mine a couple days ago, and you need to play a game like Starfield with it to see how much environmental sound is in that game that you might otherwise miss.

3 Likes