Returnal review Thread

Quick Resume would be a blessing, sounds like :smirk:

2 Likes

I think a lot of people are going to buy this because it’s the big new Sony exclusive, and discover that they love roguelikes despite never giving them a chance before, which is awesome.

I also think there are going to be A LOT of copies of this game on eBay over the next couple weeks from people who had no idea what they were getting into. :laughing:

Yea it is kind of ridiculous reviewers are brushing off this major mechanic oversight.

What does this mean? Sony games are generally very good. Lol

I’d have to read about it more but a lot of roguelikes lack the ability to save until you get to certain point (next level) or you die. It’s part of the design to stop save scumming I guess.

State of play has started

Thats fine…but they should outline the value too. Noones saying a 5 hour game can’t score 10/10. But most of those 5 hour games are 10 buck indie games.

Returnal clearly looks like a cool fun game. But i’m sorry. Even if i had a PS5. Theres no way i’d drop 70 dollars(75 plus tax) on it. I don’t care about the reviews. Thats just me though.

I don’t disagree. I would just prefer that separated out from the overall score.

As long as he recognizes Recore as the GOAT experience it’s all good

The biggest “value” proposition here that probably should have been reflected more in the reviews is the lack of valuing or respecting the player’s time. I don’t mind challenge, but don’t force me into 2 hour plus single runs where you can’t close the application in any way if real life happens.

1 Like

Recore in 60fps+ on PC is so fun, imagine if that got hit by boost mode on console. Tom Warren is talking about a new announce next week, would love that to be a part of it. Anyways to stay on topic, I would love to play this game eventually but like the rest I just can’t do $70 for a game.

Oh a locked 60fps would be glorious compared to the not even 30fps I endured on the original version on xbone

I’ve been playing a bit of Returnal and I’ve faced a crash on my 2nd playthrough and some of my friends have been experiencing crashes. I find it crazy that only IGN mentioned the faulty progress system. The game does play pretty well for the most part, but the save system is a major shortcoming. At the game’s current state I wouldn’t recommend it until it gets patched because it’s hard to trust rest mode or stability

Dunno if anybody noticed but the open critic has dropped to 85. Obviously still a fantastic score.

Thanks for the heads up, have updated OP.

85 is a lot higher than many expected. 90+ games are rare these days.

IS that a good game now? I played it on the base xbox one years back and it was one of the most dissapointing games i’ve played last gen. Did they revamp that game

Ok…

The game has some bugs and crashing issues.

1 Like

If the developers are willing to make such foundational design choices like not having a save system, they should make sure the game has very very little chance of crashing and compounding against your design choices, which is of course a monumental ask. As such if the game can’t be made crash free, then there’s certainly something foundationally wrong with your design. “but it’s a roguelite” is not a good enough excuse to not have a checkpoint or a save system, which doesn’t really take away from it still being a roguelite. Doesn’t Dead cells still save progress or have checkpoints?

It’s annoying that if you sit down to play this game, you’re simply not allowed to play any other game until you reach a milestone dictated by them. Not even Dark Souls games, notorious for their lack of pause have this issue.

3 Likes