Psychonauts 2 vs R+C A rift Apart, A discussion about different business strategies

Completely. Different projects from the ground up to even how they were conceived in the first place.

And one is a sequel to a game that came out almost 2 decades ago where the other is the nth installement in a very successful franchise

1 Like

Both projects look great for different reasons.

I’d play Ratchet and Clank for the combat and action sequences.

I’d play Psychonauts for the story/characters, collectathon and unique atmosphere.

1 Like

Psychonauts 2 has some really really good graphics. It’ll definitely be the best looking platforming game ever when it launches alongside Rift Apart (I like to think that Psychonauts 2 is Tim Burton’s style while Ratchet is Pixar’s).

In terms of business strategies, I’m not expecting Ratchet to sell much, to be honest.

1 Like

I’m sure they’ll both do well but I’m more interested in Psychonauts 2 at the moment. I’ll most likely play the first one now, never finished it before.

I don’t think R&C should be $70, I probably paid $10 for the first one (then grabbed it for free) and only played an hour or 2, didn’t really hook me in any way. It felt like a very basic shooter/platformer to me. Obviously the sequel visually looks better, but apart from those portals I haven’t seen anything different.

I don’t really see any strategy correlation. I think both games will review comparably…Psychonauts probably better.

More people will play Psychonauts 2 though. 25 million free copies thanks to Gamepass.

I’m pretty sure that some games have already done the changing of perspectives. In fact, I just remembered one - Nier Automata does it repeatedly. Granted, it’s not a platformer but it’s still been done before so I don’t see that as creative because again, it’s already been done.

Rift Apart not only looks like the superior game but combat and gameplay wise, it also looks superior. Maybe Psychonuats 2 needs a more in depth combat/gameplay trailer but from what I have seen, it’s not more impressive than Rift Apart to me.

Since Psychonauts 2 will be on Game Pass day one and there’s a Series X version, maybe I will give it a chance but if it releases around Rift Apart, probably not because im not going to play two platformers back to back.

Regardless of what people think is a valid comparison , psychonauts 2 is going to be XBOX’s offering and rachet is going to be sonys offering, comparisons will be made weather some people like it or not. And a game does not have to be the same budget for it to be compared.

Creative not always means better. And hard to compare more in depth than graphics when neither game is out or in the case of P2 not even had a proper lengthy gameplay demo yet.

I’ll say that the mobility features they added from SO into Ratchet might make the gameplay a whole better than previous entries if they nail the level design like they did on SO, so if the previous ones were not your cup of tea they might improve it without a complete transformation.

Once both games are out it will be easier to compare. As of right now how do we even know? We can say one looks prettier than the other, but which is the better game? No one has that answer yet.

2 Likes

Personal preference is always going to be a factor. However the two games offer similer experiences. I do wonder though how many people will prefer to get gamepass and psychonauts 2 or spend £70 on rachet, because despite there differences they are similar enough for there to be a cross over in there audiences. Im mean shooting fans are not typically attracted to rachet, rachet has always been a platformer in the vien of mario, jak and daxter etc but with more projectile weapons. I mean if mario could fire a gun it would not automatically class it as a third person shooter.

I posted to say that for me is a strange comparison, thats’it. I never said that Ratchet was better, I’ll wait for the releases to judge as it should be.

As will I, but this thread is based upon what we have already seen of the games, it was never stated to be a final judgement on the games.