Psychonauts 2 |OT| From the great minds at Double Fine

I played Psychonauts 2 and enjoyed it as a game and felt that it has a great story.

Watching skill up’s video opened my eyes to how many themes I just missed in the levels and didnt connect the level design to the story.

This game is amazing and I appreciate it even more. Truly amazing and I want to play it again.

4 Likes

Watch this game winning GOTY, just imagine that. I think most of us believe It takes Two will win, which is just as great if it wins in my opinion but many would be surprised if Psychonauts 2 wins. I’d love it.

I’m experiencing a very weird bug, the game just freezes and I can’t do anything with the console until I just shut it down. Can’t go back to the Xbox menu, it’s like after a while the game just freezes my controller. Very weird, will do a clean install to see if that fixes it.

Have to admit, not enjoying it that much so far but then again I don’t tend to enjoy these 3D platformers. Still early on though so things could change.

I am so bummed out that Psychonauts 2 didn’t win anything at the Game Awards! How did Deathloop beat this game and The Artful Escape for Best Art Direction anyways?

3 Likes

A lot of people must be nostalgic for the 60s lol.

Unbelievable.

2 Likes

I think Psychonauts deserved best narrative, direction, and art direction, but Deathloop has fantastic art direction.

2 Likes

And GotY imho. Very shocked it got snubbed on anything, let alone across the board. The press clearly thinks it was safer to pick a PS5 game made by an Xbox studio to give all the nods to. /rollseyes

3 Likes

A great injustice.

I don’t get it, what art direction? Not to knock Arkane Studios but pretty much all their games have the same artstyle/direction. Only difference is the game’s theme.

IDK about Game of the Year, as I haven’t played the other games enough to really say but I do feel it was robbed of awards in general. Tim deserved to go up there just because of his outfit.

It’s not as cartoony as Psychonauts 2, but it is extremely well done in terms of texture quality and fitting the world’s assets and architecture into the time period. It very much has a terrific art style and use of color, shapes, textures, etc.

Idk i could go on pulling from ArtStation, but it is a very good looking game with a very clear art direction. Looks nothing like Dishonored and was very deserved. I would have loved to see Psychonauts 2 win everything it was nominated for, but appreciate other art on display this year.

2 Likes
6 Likes

Well deserved! Love the praise the game is getting, it was easily my GOTY 2021!

2 Likes

Agreed. A shame it didn’t do even better during awards season, but at least it finished in the top 10 for total GOTY wins.

1 Like

Psychonauts 2 deserved so much more recognition, it’s absolutely outrageous how little attention it got in general.

5 Likes

I recently started a second playthrough and by god, is it a magical game

I feel like if it was on PS5, or and/or Switch. It would have been GOTY and have received far more adoration. Which speaks to the somehow still controversial subject of media bias. It clearly factored in on this one

4 Likes

It would appear that Psychonauts 2 has sold at least 1.7m copies. That number is arrived at by knowing the first Psychonauts sold almost 1.7m copies and then taking taking this Tweet at face value:

This is not my original analysis. It’s from a thread at /r/GamingLeaksAndRumours.

But to that I would add that I don’t think it’s 100% clear cut. It depends a little bit on how you define “best selling.” I think traditionally it is indeed defined by copies sold, but I wouldn’t hold it against anyone to use the Hollywood metric of dollars spent. In which case the combination of inflation, and the fact the the original Psychonauts was included in a Humble Bundle, would mean that the original has sold likely more copies.

But assuming Lisette Titre-Montgomery is indeed referring to copies sold, it’s a hell of an accomplishment. Makes me think odds of another Psychonauts must be quite high.

2 Likes

If Psychonauts 2 has sold at least 1.7 million copies I would class that as a big success considering the series was a cult classic and is also available on Game Pass.

1 Like

Slight off topic but I’m bummed Lisette is leaving DF, thought she’d be a great candidate for future studio head when Tim does eventually retire.

2 Likes