Psychonauts 2 Hands-On Previews

That comparison with Uncharted 2 was like wtf? I don’t understand what he was triying to say at all because UC2 has automated platforming so you can’t miss a jump by placing Drake “slightly on the right”…is it not precise enough? does it drop inputs? is there input lag? he could say any of those to make himself clear about the problematic platforming but instead made this UC2 comparison that makes no sense…anyway juding from their video the jumps looks consistent enough.

1 Like

Some wonderful words from Tim on the subject of accessibility here too…

there are people who want to experience the story, but they’re not really necessarily good at adventure game puzzles, or in our case, maybe not as good at platforming or combat or something. You know, combat is just something they don’t want to engage in, they want to hear about the story. So, I mean, why shouldn’t that person be able to enjoy the game you made? And we have so many hours of narrative content in the game, just let them have it!”

There’s a video of us watching Psychonauts being played by a speedrunner, in front of us. And we were horrified. You watch the beginning of the video and we were like, ‘Oh my God, he’s skipping entire levels. He’s bypassing walls, he’s jumping over collision geometry we thought was flawless.’ And we’re just in horror, but by the end of the video, we’re clapping for him and rooting him on like, ‘Do it! Yeah!’ It felt like what changed for me while watching a really great speedrunner play our game was that, like, who am I to say how someone should engage with my game?

5 Likes

Rift Apart was not 60$ :rofl:

1 Like

By their logic, repack a game and unlock hardware features for 70$. But Psychonauts 2 is low production value game that only deserves 20$.

The game cost $0 on the proper platform. They are welcome over!

1 Like

Who is this one? Anyway Ratchet was 80€, lol.

It’s freaking insane… haha, that’s almost a year of Game Pass.

I only saw Skill Up’s preview and man does this game look beautiful! Based on the gameplay footage, the platforming looks fine to me. Looking forward to it!

Definitely will be a 90+ metacritic game.

1 Like

I’m thinking something like 86-87 instead.

1 Like

Wasn’t the 1st one 89? This looks bigger and better in every way.

I have a feeling this could end up as a GOTY title.

I agree but the first one is a kind of a cult classic and only got super renowned recently, Psychonauts 2 will have far more eyes and hands on it and that might dilute some of its acclaim I’m thinking. 86-87 is a very good score btw. But all of it is ultimately in vain, both Ori 2 and Flight Sim are 90+ MC games from Xbox and neither are talked about in the usual “prestige GOTY” conversations, so I don’t pay much attention to what exact score it comes out at anyway because it will not amount to much in the mainstream gaming discourse. Ori 2 gets 90+, it’s just a metroidvania and is also on Switch so doesn’t matter, Flight Sim gets 90+ but its a flight sim so it doesn’t matter, Psychonauts 2 if it gets 90+ will bring the same argument ’ “its not an exclusive tho”. It’ll always keep shifting lol so why bother.

But I hope to be wrong and the game is indeed super successful both commercially and critically. The last time I tried doing Metacritic prediction, it was Biomutant, sooooo imma try being more reserved this time around haha

3 Likes

I don’t wanna get all holier than thou here, but I’m much more interested in playing a cool fresh game in an underrepresented genre with a unique twist than what people I’ll never meet think it’s worth on different arbitrary scales that are twisted and bent to fit a different arbitrary scale.

I hope the overall sentiment towards the game is positive but I’m not interested in how it stacks up against other games or whether it makes a worthy weapon in the endless console wars.

I hope that it pushes insightful discussion about mental health and accessibility in games, not whether it constitutes a win against PlayStation because they don’t have VRR or whatever.

1 Like

Luckily they are just so likable and humorous, their video was just a delight to watch regardless

he's lying arnold schwarzenegger GIF by Jerology

Hey shut up Arnold, I was being…haha…I was being totally seri…eh fuck it. No I wasn’t

1 Like

Valid points. I thought about that as well. Xbox games (with higher MC games) just don’t get the same appreciation as PS games let’s be honest. And it’s BS. I hope these devs get the appreciation they deserve.

1 Like

Maybe the difference can be split and the media can give it some game of the year nominations…but only the PS4 version

2 Likes

It seems that it should be good enough to at least hit 80+ on review score average, but I also don’t really care either because it looks awesome to me. I would have Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart at no higher than an 80 after my playthrough, so who cares about stupid platform comparisons especially when we have the true 10/10 masterpiece of Xbox Game Pass itself :slight_smile:

I will say that this quote from Jeff Rubenstein from the Xbox Wire article was interesting to me considering how much I loved playing through Scarlet Nexus recently:

Jeff: Of all the recent games I’ve been playing, I didn’t expect to be reminded of Scarlet Nexus ! Before leaving HQ, I found myself juggling Raz’s initial melee and PSI Blast attacks with a Telekinesis move that would make Yuiti and Kasane proud. I was even able to map it to the Right Trigger as my own brain has made that connection since completing Scarlet Nexus last week. I appreciate that all these techniques are upgradeable at your discretion, making the hunt for the various collectables valuable beyond basic achievement hunting.

1 Like
1 Like

The previews are glowing and I’ve heard Pixar comparisons thrown around a number of times now. Can’t wait to play this. Xbox has a stacked several months ahead.

@BRiT this is what Rand was embargoed with…

1 Like