PS5 doesn't support VRR!

John Linneman (dark1x) from DigitalFoundry said they were unable to get the PS5 to support 8K.

https://twitter.com/dark1x/status/1324735423382462464

1 Like

I am sure Sony will support 8K, they have to having put it on the box! but its important whether it supports FRL+DSC because without one or other we may not either support 8K60 HDR or use 4:2:0

1 Like

How in the heck do we not know these answers one week before launch?

This is astounding for me.

2 Likes

The is so similar to xbox one launch, remember all those missing features in the xbox dashboard? I get the feelings these will be patch in later.

1 Like

To the last sentence there, that’s not true. IIRC, HDMI2.0 spec ‘features’ are based entirely on the bandwidth speeds. You can have good quality cables and still get 4k/120fps depending on the HDR settings. If it were truly 2.1, it should have the bandwidth to handle an 8k feed too. But it seemingly doesn’t based on DF’s comments. And the officially published PS5 specs have always claimed VRR was there as something the machine itself can output (same with 8k). So if the machine can do these things, doesn’t that suggest the problem lies in the cable not supporting these things?

If it isn’t capable of VRR or 8K, it seems super misleading to call the cable 2.1. Not that this matters much, mind you! Unless you wanna get a VRR-capable TV, it won’t matter at all.

3 Likes

Hmmmm didn’t know that. Hopefully we find out soon.

2 Likes