Preview | Dying Light 2 Stay Human

Originally published at: Preview | Dying Light 2: Stay Human - XboxEra

Dying Light 2 is the long-awaited and delayed sequel to 2015’s original. Thanks to Techland I’ve played nearly 10 hours of it so far and this will be a spoiler-free preview of my initial impressions. The first word that comes to mind for me with this game is “better”. Every single aspect of it is improved over the original, which I loved to play but it had some real rough spots. Let’s go over just what has me so impressed thus far.

A Step Above

The main takeaway for me early on is just how good the movement in this game feels. In the first game, you had to level your character up quite a bit before they felt nimble enough to dance around the city’s rooftops like a spider monkey. Dying Light 2 smartly changes this up by allowing you far better-feeling parkour movement right off the bat, and the initial upgrades I’ve unlocked have added on to a great system instead of having to build it piece by piece. Combat wise things are pretty similar though there as well you immediately feel more capable than you did early on in the first game.

There is a light leveling system that covers multiple aspects of your character, though getting into full detail would be spoiler territory. The 3 main ones are your overall level, which goes up very slowly and is tied to the gear and weapon systems, the remaining two are for your parkour skills and combat abilities which level at a decent pace. There are also ways to upgrade your health and stamina as well but that is consumable based instead of an experience system.

Solid Graphics & Almost Solid Audio

The game also offers up three graphical modes which should be familiar to most: Resolution, Quality, and Performance. The PC version does offer Ray-Tracing but that is seemingly unavailable on consoles. The game looks quite pretty at times and a bit ugly at others. This is a very large game world, and I found myself marveling at the scope of it far more than any individual bit of graphical tech. Character models can look quite good though, especially for the main ones and the enemies are appropriately horrific for both humans and monsters alike. The gore system is still here, and you’ll be chopping off limbs left and right with heads flying all over the place if you have a strong enough weapon.

The music of the game is varied and well made. It can feel a bit out of place at times with how serious everything is but it’s never bad. I’ve found myself sitting around and listening to it quite a bit in fact, and it is of consistently high quality. Voice acting on the other hand is much spottier. The main character, Aiden, is extremely well done as are many of the game’s bigger characters. Almost every smaller/side character is really cheesy though. The game features what might be one of the worst Southern US accents I’ve ever heard, and it makes taking the well-written story as serious as I’d like to at times.

An Intriguing Tale

That story is pretty basic at the start. Aiden is a “pilgrim”, one of the few who travels the country for various reasons. I won’t get into spoiler territory, but I will say that the current day stuff is working a lot better for me than some of the more dream sequence like flashbacks. Overall I’m interested in where this story is going and the side content while a bit cookie-cutter in nature has been rewarding enough that I’ve done quite a bit of it.

This really is an enormous game. That 500 hours to 100% the map tweet feels legit after my time here, but don’t let that put you off as you can always mainline the story whenever you choose which should supposedly cut that down to 20 or so hours if you want. Individual lines of dialogue are skippable during the in-game cutscenes which is always a plus if you’re a quick reader. The game has already teased massive story changing decisions that the player will make on occasion and I’m just about to reach one of them. I look forward to seeing how my choices will stack up in comparison to others over the coming weeks and just how much it does or does not matter.

Wrapping Things Up

I am a huge fan of the first game, but it had serious issues with its writing and character work. This one is a big step up, though there are still some things that are holding it back from greatness at the start. We’ll have a review up on February 2nd at 10 am Eastern US where I’ll be able to give my final impressions though, so keep an eye on our site for that. As far as my overall first impression for Dying Light 2 goes, I am mighty impressed by its incredible parkour-based movement, solid action, and intriguing plot.

9 Likes

I appreciate that the preview is also written. I rather stay away from seeing too much of the game now.

1 Like

There is no new footage, we can only use already released trailers.

1 Like

That’s good to know! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @Doncabesa whats the file size of the game right now? Is it 35 or 70ish I keep seeing on Twitter?

Just under 36 I believe

3 Likes

So people running with lies on twitter then … nothing new lol.

2 Likes

It is 34.3GB on the Xbox Series X.

3 Likes

oooooo I am not quite sure why but I was expecting the worst… Nice preview!

1 Like

Thanks, I think a lot of us were because of the multiple delays after a long period of silence.

1 Like

ACG has his video up. Also old footage, Techland didn’t want any new footage out there.

ACG says he loves environmental storytelling, like the first game had, Fallout as well and other games and he says DL2 has plenty of that. Now that is nice.

Welp if you are wondering why the article is gone and the video is unlisted it’s because the “you can do a preview” turned out to be wrong but they didn’t let us know until this morning. So you guys are all special that you got to see it! :doge:

2 Likes

:skull: well at least we got early access!

1 Like

Same thing happened to ACG. Definitely weird since im rewatching the side quest from Hollow but this time, without commentary right now.

Question for you Jesse - Are you playing on PC or Xbox Series X? If it’s Xbox, can you post a screen shot of the controller configuration? If not, can you post what all the buttons do and if they can be remapped? Thanks.

Series X and technically I can’t say anything else about the game until embargo now.

Okay, no problem. Thanks. Hoping you’re enjoying the game!!!

You know my review on the 2nd shall be legit!

3 Likes