[PLEASE READ STAFF POST] Microsoft says they have committed to Sony that they will keep Call of Duty and other titles on Playstation "beyond the existing agreement and into the future so that Sony fans can continue to enjoy the games they love."

still crazy to think that people on this forum don’t believe that the exclusives that MS has down the line aren’t enough to attract new customers to gamepass or buy an xbox console.

1 Like

I think its okay to have big multiplayer centric games like COD, OW, WOW etc on more platforms. More people with crossplay means they get more engagement and more revenue.

More singleplayer focused games can be exclusive going forward and once the deal goes through some of these statements will 100% change.

Having COD, OW2 one gamepass day 1 itself is a huge advatange even if its not exclusive to xbox

As mentioned in Hoeg Law’s latest video, assume CoD to be multiplatform along with whatever is considered ‘popular’ Activision titles on Playstation (my personal take: Overwatch and Diablo - basically whatever is MP focused and has a lot of MTX). Everything else to be exclusive.

EDIT: Just saw @Proven posting Hoeg’s tweet which mentions what I said in a better manner.

1 Like

Here is what was said in a CNBC interview with Brad Smith.

Question: “And for those gamers, you’re not talking about pulling Activision products like Call of Duty off of competing platforms outside of the Xbox universe. You’re not going to make that content exclusive to Xbox going forward, are you?”

Brad: “One of the things we are being very clear about as we move forward with the regulatory review of this acquisition is that great titles like Call of Duty from Activision Blizzard today will continue to be available on the Sony PlayStation. We’d like to bring it to Nintendo devices, we’d like to bring the other popular titles that Activision Blizzard has and ensure that they continue to be available on PlayStation and that they become available on Nintendo. You know, one of the first acquisitions, really the first acquisition after Satya Nadella became CEO was of Minecraft. That was back in September of 2019. And what we’ve done with that acquisition, I think, is a clear indicator of what we hope to do if we acquire Activision Blizzard. Namely, invest even more in innovation, bring it to more people, bring it to more platforms, make it even more useful and hopefully delightful for the people who use it.”

2 Likes

Everything in Activision’s current portfolio is “popular.” MS is not going to cancel popular games that are already in development and they are not going to stop Activision from doing so.

Bungie-PS vibes here

1 Like

This is 100% true…by 2030 I expect PC and Nintendo to be the only dedicated hardware

The only thing in Activisions current portfolio is COD…Nothing else…even Overwatch 2 and Diablo 4 have halted development

Again what do you consider popular? COD, Overwatch, Diablo …

You know what likely will be exclusive? Games like a new Crash, Spyro, Tony Hawk, Guitar Hero, that new Blizzard IP etc

This 100%

MS are masterfully crafting their words and are absolutely pulling some fuckery right now so they can get this done…take control ,get Bobby out

And besides if Overwatch 2, Diablo 4 and future COD’s stay multiplat, there are still plenty of quality exclusive games MS will be able to get out of this

2 Likes

Let’s be serious, those games don’t move the needle, I wouldn’t mind if they’re not exclusive lol

Playstation unequivocally stated that Bungie’s games would be multiplatform on competing consoles. Microsoft refused to say that with Bethesda and they’ve refused to say it outright with ABK. The only truth is that we will not know until after the deal is ok’ed.

Bloody hell im exhausted from trying to catch up on this whole thread. Quick fire thoughts from PsyDec before I pass out:

• Am surprised that some people were expecting to see CoD exclusive (at least anytime in the next 5-7 years).

• I was never fully sold on the idea of OW2 / Diablo 4 being exclusive simply because of the timing of the acquisition (will it close in time?) and previous announcements for other platforms - this reasoning would be consistent with previous acquisitions.

• I’m still expecting ActiBlizz to be leveraged to make exclusive games, without a single doubt. Bloomberg even reported that this would be the case from insider sources. Like the new IP announced a few weeks back. If they came out and said that nothing would be exclusive, you’d see me kicking off.

• Absolutely hear the frustrations around inconsistent messaging. The ‘exclusive on places where games pass is unless otherwise contracted’ was an easy rule set to follow. But, these deals are case by case and can’t necessarily be all encompassed by single statements.

• This news really should’ve been offset by what the acquisition will do for the typical Xbox customers money. Of course games pass is a big factor, but had they come out and said that ActiBlizz are also currently working on 3 unannounced exclusive games, I think it would’ve helped settle anxieties that multiplat is the exception and not the rule. But also understand that this was comment made for regulators.

• Wait for Phil to address, I would bet my white rabbit :rabbit2: that AB will be used for exclusive games. Just not with CoD the Goliath or previously announced titles like OW and D4. I can see people drawing comparisons to ES6 here and creating doubts, but that was never announced for any platform and while huge, isnt CoD in terms of upsell and pure revenue generation.

• Take care and have a good night

7 Likes

I also thought this until today.

hm

3 Likes

Bungie/Sony pretty much committed to multiplatform even saying “rival” consoles so people can’t argue that PS5/PC multiplat bullshit lol

Sony is locked in but MS has so much God damn wiggle room

3 Likes

Activision does not have independence written into their contract.

1 Like

Yeah MS would never go for that

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1491598131276005383

Yet i still cant play Street Fighter on Xbox

Lame and weak

Dude is playing them like a fiddle

Honestly when I read the IGN Clickbait title I legitimately thought Activision/Blizzard games would all be multiplatform period

Now I’m in the complete opposite direction, really shows how powerful clickbait

Im fine with this the GAAS can stay & come to Playstation & Switch is fine as we Xbox gamer get gamepass day and date wile MS need to make it 70 on Playstation and Switch make them feel the advantage of Gamepass on their wallet