Playstation Plus revamp announced, Jim Ryan explains why Sony cannot currently offer day and date games in service

It’s amazing that Sony put that game on PS+ day one but won’t put MLB The Show 22 on PS+ day one despite it being day one on Game Pass.

4 Likes

The virtuous cycle will be broken if that happens

5 Likes

Yep what a joke

1 Like

Sony is a genius because they know how to get the most profits from the perspective of them being the leader in console space and media popularity… I may sound like a PS fan boy (which I am not) but it is a fact.

Sony’s clever tricks work.

I will give you an example, they used next gen only against Xbox during the early hype cycle of PS5 only to reverse the decision and make cross gen games longer then xbox actually

This time, with day and date games they are going to do the same thing… They have positioned the service towards day and date already with addition of the game demos while taking a jab at the Xbox Gamepass that the quality of there games would suffer if they bring games day and date

Once again they are going against Xbox, making them look bad compared to PS only to do the same thing later on which Xbox is already doing right now

1. They will release day and date games in coming 2-3 years on the PlayStation Plus premium

2. They already setup the highest teir for that, which mind you is equivalent to Gamepass ultimate in price but will only offer feature of Gamepass console (no PC and ea play)

They know how to address their console base folks and have planned everything accordingly while also making the competition look bad…

That being said, this wont matter for us Xbox players and we know what Sony is up to… But it is about the market… Market favours them and will continue to do so

Only, the first party release which Xbox is preparing from mid 2022 onwards could change things… If they deliver

1 Like

I think the landscape is changing. Much of Sony’s strategy is dependent on them being market leader. The console shortage has allowed Nintendo to run away with this generation and has allowed Xbox to essentially tie PS5 in sales for the foreseeable future.

Xbox Bethesda acquisition kicks off in a big way with Starfield. Forza Horizon 5 is a runaway hit with all ages. The Gamepass smart tv app will be massive. Activision being part of Gamepass can have a short term impact because Call of Duty games are evergreen, so their addition to Gamepass is not exactly insignificant either. Xbox has a bright future. PlayStation needs to have a big summer show to get me exited about it’s future. Selling out every PS5 is good for the company and all but as someone who’s had the PS5 since 2020 I thought there would be more games at this point. At least stop making PS4 games for f*sakes.

Depending on what happens with the current surge in availability of the Series X, Xbox could very well outsell PlayStation before long. I feel pretty certain they’ll at least outsell it for the months of March and April. Remains to be seen if they can keep up their supply, and how long the PS5 will be supply constrained.

1 Like

They need to keep buying up all the fab time and make sure to fill up those retail channels in time for Black Friday/Starfield and they’ll dominate all year long!

3 Likes

I don’t understand how you are saying they are making Xbox look bad, on the contrary Sony’s new service actually looks bad compared to MS’s, and their higher tier is more expensive than MS’s as well (MS doesn’t have a yearly sub) and that’s before taking into account the upcoming Game Pass family plan. Look at articles online, what I’ve read so far is only negativity in the press.

I also doubt Sony will put games day 1 in the service at all this gen, seeing how slow they are to react. They’d lose too much money and it won’t move the needle for them compared to how it did with MS and they also don’t have enough studios to pump out games at the same rate MS will be able to.

1 Like

Exactly from this moment on it seems Xbox is in the perfect position. There is a lot of speculation about why PS5 got an early jump over Xbox this generation but my take on this is two factors.

1. Xbox wanted to build its cloud infrastructure so it sacrificed millions of early sales to build the cloud.

2. Watch the Xbox documentary from a few months ago. It’s clear that Xbox moved too fast in the production of the Xbox 360. The red ring of death is something that Xbox never wants to repeat. It’s understandable that Xbox would be cautious when starting a new console generation with rigorous testing.

1 Like

I did mention it doesn’t work on Xbox gamers like us who knows which service gives the most benifits

It’s the native PS market share which will think the PS is superior

Try to understand what kind players I am talking about. Players who play on PS mostly

Sony did the same with cross gen vs next gen and they will do it again with this day one games strategy

This will change offcourse as more gamers will get to know about games on Gamepass. That’s why I also said that delivering games is important. Starting with Redfall

1 Like

I listened to the most recent Game Informer podcast and even though they pushed the usual bs like “Gamepass isn’t profitable” “I’m worried about the future of games because on PlayStation I own my games but on Xbox I’m just renting them”. The thing is (even though they clearly had a misinformed casual perspective) they came to the conclusion that if you had to choose PlayStation Plus or Gamepass that you should choose Gamepass. PlayStation muddies that waters and creates debate by saying Gamepass isn’t sustainable or that day 1 isn’t profitable. However PlayStation is essentially losing the debate even amongst the misinformed casuals.

Again, you are talking about media and gamers who does know about benifits of Gamepass ( even if they are PS centric) and I am talking about players who mostly play on PS

I still don’t see how PS gamers will think it’s superior. Sony is making them pay more money for less essentially, and it is quite clear. I haven’t seen anyone in my circle of friends that is PS centric jump in joy at Sony’s announcement, the only cases being crazy fanboys on Twitter and we all know they don’t count.

4 Likes

It will be in 2-3 years of time which I mentioned earlier when day and date games launch on it… They will make the PS gamers pay 15-20 dollars and it will be the best service for them. Unless those gamers try Gamepass and know what true superior service is.

We are currently in the equivalent phase of when PS5 games where meant to be next gen only… In 2-3 years it will be revealed that H FW and God of war R is cross gen (means that games will be released day and date)

Like Benji-Sales and others have said, this tier system is NOT to bring in new subscribers, it’s to try to entice their current subscriber base to upgrade to a more expensive tier. I do believe that a good amount will go to the $15 tier but few will go to the $18 tier but this tier is already set for when Sony does eventually include their first party games.

Agreed. And when it happens, they’ll use it as an excuse to bump the $18 to $20, at minimum.

It’s smart of them to have annual plans, to prevent people from joining only for a month or two to play the titles they wanna play, and then dropping out until something else is added.

It’s frankly surprising Xbox doesn’t have something similar. I guess they’re strong enough believers in their ability to add new exciting games on a monthly basis, and that that is enough to keep people from hopping in and out. I know it’s enough to keep me from doing it.

The annual plans is actually good value if the tier is for you. Tier 3 is $216 a year monthly but $120 a year annually. Save $96. That’s good value.

If Sony adds their exclusives to Tier 3, even at $20, awesome for me. A nice $20 monthly rental and then cancelled.

Oh, for sure it’s good value. That’s why I think it’ll work so well in preventing people from doing what you’re planning on. I’ve no doubt many players will see that price discrepancy and decide it’d be stupid not to sign up for a full year, when in reality at least some of those people would be better off just subbing when there’s a new game to play.

Do we know yet how easy it will be to switch between the tiers when you’ve already paid up for an entire year? I don’t think you can easily do that with Xbox services so would be shocked if it’s simple for Playstation. Will you have to pretty much use an entirely different account to get that “1 month only” upgrade?

That’s precisely why Sony is not adding their exclusives. You need a pretty constant stream of content to avoid people subscribing for a month just to play the new game cheap.

1 Like