PlayStation 5 |OT| This SSD has no limits

I dont believe it. Everything north of 499 would kill this thing instantly.

But maybe Jim Ryan wants his own fivehundredninetynine moment?

1 Like

Its specs are on par with a Valve index and that headset is $999.99. The Quest 2 doesn’t even come close to it and its $400. Unless Sony wants to take massive losses on it, which considering they just raised the price of a profitable console, that situation is incredibly unlikely. Its going to be expensive.

2 Likes

Is Sony going to take massive losses on PSVR2?

I just cant see it being more than $500 .

With the specs inside theres almost no way its not more

2 Likes

Its a niche product. VR is unlikely to ever go mainstream. Sony knows that the subset of their player base that will purchase the product will do so at just about any price. This isn’t a gateway product like a quest to introduce people to VR, it is entirely targeted at enthusiasts. I would be stunned if it is under $600.

If it comes in under $600 I might even buy one. With the specs it has it would be a steal.

1 Like

$500 is my personal price limit for this.

Depending on the model it might be more expensive than Oculus Quest 2.

Depends how they market the cost and bundles. Do they sell everything needed in 1 big bundle with larger sticker price? Or do they make base headset only and then sell the two needed controllers separately?

2 Likes

Personally I can see why Xbox haven’t released their own VR headset yet.

The technology is too expensive right now that it won’t be viable for most consumers to buy. Due to its price (and tbh niche interest) it simply won’t be adopted by the mass public, therefore they won’t be able to make their money back on the games either (due to limited sales).

Until the price point is lower and makes use of better technology (smaller and wireless) I can’t see it taking off.

1 Like

People need to realize that is Sony we are talking about here, the company who increased the price of a console that has been two years in the market, so don’t be surprised if the PSVR 2 comes out with a price tag over five hundreds bucks.

5 Likes

I think after Kinect Microsoft are gonna be real real cautious when it comes to VR. I’m sure they’ve got teams working in the background and experimenting with all this tech, but I don’t think we’re gonna see anything till like you say - it’s cheaper, more advanced and the market is there. I’m personally excited to see how the PSVR2 works out and might even buy one, but I also don’t think it’s going to end up dramatically different from the PSVR1 - it’s going to be a niche accessory with a relatively small number of games released for it.

Xbox’s current goal is to make their content available to as wide an audience as possible. VR is kind of the opposite of that right now. I think they’re perfectly happy to keep focusing on game pass for now.

4 Likes

100% it’s still gutting that I can’t play some of my old Kinect games. It’s the issue with any new/niche technologies.

Until VR is well established and standardised across the industry I don’t think Xbox will jump in (personally).

1 Like

The more I think about this, it’s genius (from a business perspective)! I’d argue it’s almost an Apple move by removing features then charging consumers extra to get them back.

I can see it now, they will get rid of the disc ($499) version.

The discless ($399) version will become the only available option but they will increase it’s price to $499, then they will charge an extra $99 for the disc drive.

They reduce manufacturing costs by decreasing their SKUs, increase profit margins by upping the cost and then also charge consumers an extra $99 (or more) for the drive!

I suspect they will also increase the price of digital games to encourage consumers to buy physical - therefore needing a disc drive!

I’m sure there will be still be enough idiots to buy it.

3 Likes

It’s practically guaranteed that most of this will be generally accurate.

1 Like

Never bought psvr1. Wont buy this.

1 Like

Warning: If you get motion sickness do not watch this!

My guess is the discless ps5 will cost $449, like it is outside of the US already. And then you can buy the discdrive for $99. So they can say they have the cheapest box on the market

1 Like

Thankfully, I have my launch PS5 Disc Edition and I should be good for the entire generation.

This is basically a validation of the Series S and Series X dual console design, but Sony were beaten to it by Microsoft, isn’t it. Basically, Sony didn’t anticipate MS making a cheaper version of their console that ran ever so slightly slower, and if Sony did know that it was happening, they likely expected that devs were probably going to struggle to make the Series S a compelling “next gen” system.

They were outsmarted on two fronts - Gamepass (the Series S is the perfect Gamepass machine) and the cost of living crisis issue and inflationary pressures on components.

This SKU, if real, does both - it makes the all-digital future MS predicted with the One S A-D and the Series S via subscription services, but gives them the Series X dis version, in one move. And it’s likely because they cannot change the hardware internally enough without significant investment, meaning if they want a Series S subscription model then the only way to do it is by simplifying their manufacturing processes into a single stream.

3 Likes