PlayStation 5 |OT| This SSD has no limits

The job description hints at something like that so I wouldnt be surprised if it ends up happening.

The interpretation of the job listing from Overclock3D doesnt think it leads to a PS PC Store @ Hardware & Tech News - OC3D.net

Sony’s new Senior Director for “PC Planning and Strategy” will “be responsible for the strategy and commercial activity within Global Channel sales and will deliver a single, optimized PC Sales growth and commercial plan to hub and territory teams to implement .” In short, applicants for this job are expected to realise Sony’s growth targets within the PC gaming market.

Within their job listing, Sony has mentioned that PlayStation desires “PC growth, strategy, and sales execution though global PC store fronts” , referencing PC storefronts like Steam and the Epic Games Store. As it stands, it looks like Sony has no plans to launch their own PC gaming storefront, which is great news for PC gamers who hate installing new launchers.

VRR rolls out this week link

Summary HDMI 2.1 only Games need a patch to be considered compatible Can be turned on system wide but may result in unexpected visual effects.

1 Like

I have to wonder why it took Sony so long to add this feature that others have supported since 2018 or earlier.

Still no patch update for Bloodborne.

From what I’ve seen elsewhere, PS5 only supports VRR from 48-120 Hz even if your display can do 40-120 Hz or better.

1 Like

It just seems like it was not a high priority for Sony in general considering their TVs have also lagged behind in this area.

That’s from:

https://old.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/uc01fx/sony_has_a_new_team_focused_on_game_preservation/

1 Like

Wow, I’m actually shocked at just how poor Sony’s VRR implementation is. It’s iffy at best for PS5, and doesn’t exist on PS4 titles.

I’m always shocked at how far behind they can be for some things.

6 Likes

I think even if it’s not the best, this can only be good for future games on all platforms as more of them should start supporting VRR. Now I just need to get a tv that can do VRR well, because that old monitor of mine just isn’t good enough.

Game trials now a thing. I mean its fine. But it puts more pressure on their first party to make sure opening of the game is good.

1 Like

Are Sony First Party titles even going to have demos? They could easily be exempt from that. Surely, they’re well worth the premium where a demo only cheapens the experience…

1 Like

Lol. They have to be you would think, otherwise 3rd party developers would really kick up a stink.

Today the topic of timed exclusives came up, which got me thinking. Apart from Final Fantasy 7 Remake, have any timed-exclusives moved the needle for Sony since the launch of the PS5?

Titles like Deathloop, Kena: Bridge of Spirits and Sifu reviewed well, but were largely forgotten. Godfall and Babylon’s Fall have been disasters. You then have titles like Ghostwire, Bugsnax and Oddworld: Soulstorm which can been fun, but I hardly think that anyone bought a PS5 to play them.

It just seems to me, there had to be better ways to spend the money, at least in hindsight.

1 Like

I think it’s still early days and any next gen only game is gonna have less of a major impact. Plus Playstation is coming off a stellar generation built off of great exclusives (timed and otherwise) and seem to be aiming to follow the same plan this generation - I think most people are following Sony under that expectation rather than the needle being moved by one particular exclusive.

1 Like

Not sure what to think about this. Depending on the implementation, this could be a significant amount of additional work for dev teams (if they’re supposed to make actual bespoke demo builds).

If it’s just the regular game plus a timer, like how EA Play demos work, then no harm no foul. But I don’t really like the idea of mandated demos when devs are already struggling to push out the game itself.

1 Like

It’s kind of an odd thing to force developers into, especially given most simply don’t make demos because it’s been shown to cause a decline in sales.

4 Likes

I was just going to mention something like this. I am not sure it is universally true demos decrease sales, but there is a reason why most developers forgo making demos.

It sort of rubs me up the wrong way that Sony is forcing this on developers, so they can gain value for their service and yet it seems like they are not sharing the wealth.

2 Likes

What are you talking about? This IS for First party. Theres no way in hell They can enforce trials from 3rd parties. They’ll tell Sony to fuck off. You meant certain PS exclusives? Yeah they’ll try and compensate them somehow.

I do believe that FF XVI and the KOTOR Remake will make a positive impact for Sony and PS5. The rest not so much or have bombed for the most part. I will say that Kena is a great freaking game though.

1 Like

Its sort of similar to Nintendo. They just don’t have the expertise in some of this sort of stuff. Look at their lazy BC implementation.

IF that was MS and they could legally emulate Ps3 games and sony allowed them to…they’d have done it long time ago.

Try reading the linked articles. This is for all Third Party developers charging more than $34 for a game that hasn’t already been approved for the platform.

3 Likes