PlayStation 5 |OT| This SSD has no limits

And Kojima

It is what it is. I’m sure a lot of people will enjoy the game for what it is. And then you’ve got the people setting themselves up for disappointment by hyping it up as a ‘major AAA exclusive’ and talking about it in the same breath as Horizon and Zelda. :man_shrugging:

Oh yeah, but it’s one thing to be disappointed by your own inflated expectations, and another to be publicly shitty about it. I hope that second group you mention can keep some perspective and be decent human beings.

The Director’s Cuts, huh? I heard the Tsushima expansion was pretty meaty so that’ll probably tide some people over. Not sure about Death Stranding though (unless that was a bluebox joke, javy)

1 Like

And Microsoft delayed Halo before they started the preorders.

Sony was upfront about how Horizon was aiming for 2021 but it wasn’t certain. I don’t think you can fault them on transparency.

Now God of War is a different story, they lied out their asses on that one. :laughing:

1 Like

My thoughts from June 2nd:

Sony lost the benefit of the doubt after that God of War situation. There’s no way they prepared a whole State of Play presentation without knowing the game would be delayed. Jason even mentions the decision was made a while ago, and there’s still no official word from Sony.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1421168008710561792

11 Likes
7 Likes

I think Sony realized 2 things.

• these big games probably needed more time especially for ps5 optimization. I have no doubts horizon would be out this year possibly even God of War if we were in last gen and they were ps4 only. Same goes for Halo infinite. That game comes out in 2020 if next gen didn’t exist. I am certain of that.

• Ps5 selling out regardless. Releasing big games was to sell your hardware. They can barely make enough. So delaying a game and making it more polished is an even easier decision than ever.

The halo infinite decision last year was met with a lot of" oh shit releasing a console without halo will hurt MS" and fast forward 6 months it had absolutely no effect because they were selling out of consoles left and right. It would have hurt halo if that game was unpolished.

Horizon is an open world game. Probably needs more time.

God of War is most likely going to be mid to late next year too.

Let me preface this by saying: No delay has made a game worst. The devs know what they need to do to get the game to where they feel it needs to be. Plus hopefully this means they don’t have to crunch. But I’m still disappointed in the PS lineup.

Horizon 2 being delayed has me with nothing to play now on this PS5. I play most of all my third party games on Xbox and use the PS for exclusives. Now I truly have nothing to play on the PS this year besides maybe Kena.

This is something that I think escapes a lot of people, based on some arguments I’ve seen online. As far as I’m concerned, the Xbox ecosystem is better than the PlayStation one for various reasons. Doesn’t mean PS has a bad ecosystem, it just means that all other things being equal (and they usually aren’t), I’d rather buy a multi-platform game on Xbox than on PlayStation. That’s hard to conceptualize, I suppose, when your starting position is PS-first or PS-only.

I’m usually in favor of delays for the same reasons you stated, Cédric. No this delay isn’t dramatic, and no it doesn’t retroactively undo the good things Sony have accomplished so far. That said, there’s no denying that when there’s a dearth of content over there, it looks different from my perspective. This is further compounded by the fact that the other big upcoming PS exclusive Deathloop will hit Game Pass day 1, at no extra cost, and in perpetuity in just 1 year. I really like Arkane games, and I have absolutely no reason to buy it on a PlayStation. They don’t even really need my financial support anymore!

I think a case could also be made for the fact that the new games released on PS5 though inarguably of high quality, tend towards one and dones? For my part, I don’t think that I’d want to revisit Returnal or Miles Morales or Ratchet and Clank once I picked them clean and got 100% completion. This argument is very subjective depending on taste and I haven’t played these games myself so I can’t say for sure. I’ll be happy to come back and edit this post if I remember it once I have :smiley:

I feel like I’m being pretty negative towards the PS5 here, so let me balance it a bit by saying that it’s a very impressive piece of hardware that I look forward to owning when things align a bit better, and that their PS+ offerings have been pretty great from what I’ve been seeing.

1 Like

It’s like we share the same mind, I feel exactly the same. I have Rachet and Clank and it’s not a game I’m going to replay. And also not going to replay Miles Morales. I used GameFly to play Returnal, not really my type of game but I played enough to easily bounce off and return the game.

Deathloop is coming to gamepass next year, as interesting as I think the game looks, I can wait for it. I bought into the PS eco system this early for their big 3rd person narrative games. It does almost feel disingenuous that they announced Horizon, GT:7 and God of War as 2021 games and all of the three have been pushed when they were the exact reasons I tried so hard to get a PS this year.

As many have said, God of War especially feels dirty because I’m sure they knew there was no way that game was hitting this year. Horizon 2 I can forgive a little because that seems to have been recently pushed. GT:7 is another weird one where even though they didn’t officially announce a date, all of their promo materials made it look like it was a 2021 game for sure.

Xbox gets a lot of flack for “not having enough games” but I’m drowning in them. Too many games, the Ascent, Cristales, Flight Simulator to name a few. And even thought some of these genres aren’t in my wheel house, being able to try and play these games for no extra cost then my subscription to Gamepass makes it a no brainer.

1 Like

While to each their own, I haven’t been disappointed at all with the exclusives. Both Spider Man: Miles Morales and Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (won’t end the year this way but thus far, it’s my best game of 2021) were great 8.5/10 games. Returnal would have been day one easily if was a straight forward story driven game without the roguelike elements as that’s not for me.

I’m expecting 1-2 exclusives from Sony a year that I actually want to play which for a secondary exclusives only console, I don’t see that being disappointing, in fact, far from it. Compared to Xbox One which was secondary for me last generation, I only had 5 exclusives that I played and completed with one of them (Dead Rising 3) being a game I should have skipped. PlayStation 3 also gave me only 5 exclusives but out of those 5 exclusives, 1 of them was my game of the generation (TLOU) and another was #2 of the generation, being Uncharted 2.

So for me, I have already had two great games. I know I will have a 9+ for Horizon II: Forbidden West and God of War Ragnarok. In terms of quality, PS5 as a secondary console has already surpassed Xbox One for me with just two games and even if I subtract Dead Rising 3 which was the weakest of the 5 Xbox One exclusives that I completed, PS5 still comes out slightly ahead. Only question is will PS5 surpass PS3 in terms of secondary consoles. I believe that it will but still remains to be seen.

Also, while im counting towards last generation since it’s not a standalone, the Iki Island expansion is going to be great so that will be more high quality for me. PS4 was average until 2016 (at least for me) but then dominated. PS5 has already surpassed the first 2 1/2 years of what I had for PS4 especially since in those 2 1/2 years, I could and should have passed on 4 games.

After all, PS5 for me is secondary which is what it also seems to be for you. So I really don’t understand the disappointment for a console is secondary to begin with while your primary console being Xbox Series X (same for me) has only released two exclusives thus far - Gears Tactics and Flight Simulator.

Gears Tactics is great but Mutant Year Zero is the better turn based strategy RPG as is Kingdom Battle and probably Wasteland 3. Flight Simulator is a technical masterpiece but isn’t for everyone including me.

Sure, we’re getting Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite which should be excellent games but if you’re someone like me who only had Gears Tactics and Halo coming up, compared to PS5, it’s even game wise and Halo needs to hit a 9 for me personally to match the 8.5/10 I gave both PS5 exclusives I mentioned earlier.

Sorry about the tangent but favoritism aside, I can’t see how anyone would be disappointed with PS5 when it’s their SECONDARY console. Maybe it’s just me, but my expectations are lower for a secondary console. It’s why I didn’t go nuts with PS3 or Xbox One because they were secondary.

As for Kena, im 50/50 on it and may just wait as it’s a timed console exclusive so I would imagine that Xbox gets a port next year sometime.

My post right above this one explains my disappointment. I fought through the long lines, bots and hours of searching to finally get a PS5 because the expectation for 2021 was GT:7, Horizon 2 and God of War, an expectation laid at my feet by Sony themselves.

Then GT:7 was delayed to god knows when.

God of War seemed strange but had me hopefully. Last year before the release and even preorder of the console they showed off Horizon with a spring 2021 release with God War being the holiday 2021 release.

When they finally came out and said Horizon would hopefully make it at the end of 2021 I knew there was no way God of war was coming out this year. Then they delayed God of War officially.

I could deal with having one of their big three this year, but not having any is disappointing. Again, as I said before, no delay has ever made a game worst and the developers should take all the time they need in a healthy manner but I can’t help but feel personally disappointed.

I spent $499 on a console I’ve only played one game on and haven’t touched since the completion of that game about a month and a half ago.

I wouldn’t have rushed out to get a Ps5 if I knew none of the big games they showed off for 2021 we’re coming out.

I would of waited until 2022 to get the console then.

2 Likes

Has anyone been really impressed by the compression rates PS5 has been hitting lately?

That new Assassin’s Creed patch was crazy. 6.85gb on PS5, 23.79 on Xbox Series X/S and upto 31.37gb on PC.

If more impressed by their compression then anything else.

I would love to see Xbox do so work here, if only to save us a little storage and bandwidth!

2 Likes

That’s on the developers. The feature is available for use in the software devkits and hardware. Currently most of the developers are not using Compression for resources on the Xbox workflow. It seems like they’re opting to use the same development workflow for Xbox One, Xbox Series, and PC instead of doing a specific one for Xbox Series.

1 Like

Is it really Kraken compression? There hasnt been a single source to ever confirm that its that.

I’m not sure that’s the case.

Xbox has been using Zlib since back on the Xbox 360 (Including the Xbox One) and it was also utilised on the PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Wii and Wii U.

The difference this generation is both consoles are also using texture compression e.g. Oodle and BCPack. But if you look at the patch sizes they are also 50-75% smaller on PS5 and don’t normally contain textures.

There hasn’t but I can’t see what else it could feasibly be.

Zlib is pretty old, Xbox have been using it since the golden 360 days. Devs are use to using it now as it’s been the norm for over 10 years!

Technically there are even better tools out there then Kraken with Mermaid and Selkie.

I did think that perhaps the developers are not using texture compression on Xbox (Oodle on PS and BCPack on X/S) but even then if you look at the patch sizes they are tiny on PS and don’t usually contain textures.

I reached out to a MS architect on Twitter and they confirmed that patches don’t usually contain texture content (so Oodle and BCpack wouldn’t apply).

King: “Did you get in to the beta?”

2 Likes