Play Your PSX/PS2/PSP/DC/GC/Xbox Game Discs on XSX/XSS

So…RetroArch works on XSS/XSX in Dev Mode (on time cost of $20). Full details in the video here. You can run your old game discs and it sounds like the vast majority of titles work well on it!

3 Likes

Lol you can play classic playstation games on Xbox but can’t on ps5 unless its through ps now what madness is this or am I mistaken?

2 Likes

Wow, that is pretty damn great. Think I’ll try it out with my Xbox Series X.

1 Like

You are not mistaken. Dreamcast, Gamecube, OG Xbox, PSX, PS2, PSP…maybe more that I missed in the vid too.

Wow…saw this on Twitter a few days ago but didn’t look into it as I assumed it was bullshit. Guess I was wrong. LOL.

1 Like

Unreal

1 Like

Seems some PC games work too?

1 Like

:eyes:

1 Like

PCSX2 = Playstation 2 emulator, homepage @ https://pcsx2.net/

2 Likes

Forgot HL1 was on PS2…derp

You can run your old discs!?!? And PS5 can’t do this WHY??? It’s the same disc drive, no? I understand licensing issues for some titles, but having non-cloud PS1-3 back compat woulda been amazing. Back Compat is the unsung hero of both of these systems for me right now (PS5 because I missed PS4, Series X due to a lack of launch titles and more importantly the magic they weave to make old games look and feel amazing).

1 Like

This is insane!

2 Likes

This is really interesting, but I really lack the time to also dive into older games. Too much games! But great to see this working. If Dreamcast emulation works smooth as well, I don’t want to know. I repeat, I DONT want to know.

1 Like

So glad to see that Saturn emulation on console is no longer only the domain of a fully overclocked Switch!! The Zen 2 CPUs in XSX|S will be beasts for emulation in the years to come

I’m not so sure you can use the discs, last time I checked Microsoft’s documentation there’s no way for a game (native, UWP, dev mode or otherwise) to communicate with the disc drive, that is the domain of the OS. You’d have to rip (or “rip”, if you know what I mean) your games to your PC, then either copy them to a flash drive or upload them to a web file server and download them via Edge (as the built in windows explorer for Xbox was axed in 2019). Currently PCSX2 for Xbox UWP RetroArch doesn’t support VFS (Virtual File System) so you cannot yet run them from a flash drive.

Additionally, even if games/apps could access the disc drive, Dreamcast discs 100% would not work as GD-ROMs are only readable with special SEGA optical drives found in the Dreamcast and Triforce arcade system

On the bright side of things, IIRC most of your 2D consoles should support VFS, and for any that don’t, RetriX is another fantastic UWP emulator that does support VFS for all of its cores

2 Likes

Hey Kirby! I’m used to seeing you over on Twitter, not on here :slight_smile:

I’m hoping that someone writes up a real easy FAQ for getting this to work nicely. I realize with the legal gray area that it is no site may want to host it, but as it is now it feels like I need to go through a few different channels on the Discord, plus a couple of YouTube videos, plus another server or two just to get the complete instructions of how to get everything set up. It’s not that I can’t do that, I just wish there was one nice and easy step-by-step tutorial to follow.

How do I get the retail version for Series X? Is there a Saturn emulator?