Phil Spencer to be interviewed in Animal Crossing

It was aired last night but doesn’t look like the VOD is up just yet.

Ahh i see

I have a sense that Xbox have pivoted towards gamepass as central to their marketing this year in response to them learning about Sony’s aggressive exclusive and advantage push. Because whilst gamepass has always been important it feels that now it is the pivot rather than the key benefit. I think reading between the lines on Phil’s comments first party are further behind than was expected at end of 2019 and clearly they weren’t ever going to compete with moneyhats. Probably hoping Sony wouldn’t bother either. Feels like they have definitely shifted rather than necessarily playing this out as planned. And I suspect that’s why there is little to no emphasis on the console launch…because on those terms Xbox can’t compete…

I’m waiting for Gary to upload it to his YT channel to watch it.

It’s up.

5 Likes

I don’t care what anybody say Phil Spencer is the head of xbox and part of a cooperation but as person he is just genuinely great guy. And you can hear/see it don’t tell otherwise. He grow as a gamer. Once gamer always gamer.

@XboxP3

CHANGE MY MIND.

2 Likes

Yoooo Phil in these XboxEra streets? That’s dope lol The Xboss

1 Like

This is more of an accusation than a meaningful question. Not sure it has any basis in reality either. Growing GP has been their explicitly stated goal for obvious, good reasons for years now. Good questions would involve stuff we don’t know the answer to already. There can still be tough questions though, like:

1. How big of a role did COVID play in Halo’s much maligned showing last month?
  2. Any chance Halo’s f2p MP BETA will be opened up for XSX launch?
  3. There are rumors of Gold being included in standard GP soon…any comment on that?
  4. With Halo out of the launch window, what can Xbox fans look forward to in terms of showcasing the XSX and its technical prowess at launch?
  5. Are you waiting on Sony to make the first move wrt pricing announcements? Be honest…
  6. How far into 2021 will it be before XSX blades get into the xCloud servers?
  7. Any chance that xCloud (not GP…just xCloud itself) might come to Switch?
  8. Any more details to share on the partnership with Facebook streaming? What is the shared vision there looking like, exactly?
  9. Is Flight Sim a launch title?
  10. How big of a push will Xbox All Access be getting this time around?
  11. We know XSX has ML hardware inside, so what can we expect in terms of that usage from XGS titles?
  12. Moneyhats to keep games off competing platforms is something you’ve railed against in the past. Do you have plans with major publishers to instead bring games to GP day 1 as an alternative?

Keep in mind the purpose is not to be ‘tough’, it’s to get meaningful information from the person you’re interviewing.

My biggest gripe is that Phil seems to want to play the “nice guy” and that only gets you so far when your competition is going after your head. For example-- Obsidian, Double Fine, and inXile had Outer Worlds, Psychonauts, and Wasteland 3 in the works when they are published; why not buy out the publishing rights and make these games Xbox exclusive?

It’s one thing to want to forge a better relationship with Nintendo by putting Banjo in Smash, porting Ori, and giving Minecraft ongoing support since they aren’t direction competition; but allowing PS to get Minecraft (and Dungeons), Outer Worlds, Wasteland 3, and Psychonauts is a waste of resources.

1 Like

1st rule. lol my bad

That was a fun interview!