Phil Spencer tells Polygon he wants PC Storefronts on Xbox

I know their is a subset of Xbox fans and Sony fans salivating at recent events but it is 100% clear that the industry is in a major flux and if you keep doing the exact same things as before you will fail. Even Sony is having major margin issues.

So I’m actually excited about the prospects of breaking apart the typical console gaming model and really change things up.

3 Likes

It does make me wonder what would happen with Xbox ecosystem features like achievements (mainly). Would there be some system in place to convert all Steam achievements into Xbox achievements too? But then game score basically gets inflated so much that it may as well just be a removed concept.

And Steam’s library>>>>>>>Xbox/Windows store library. It would make me think the only spending happening on the Windows store beyond this point would be GP subs.

1 Like

I dont know how this Will work with hackers, anti cheat , anti piracy like denuvo and Shader cache compilations but if they can Pull it off which I highly doubt it I think it is too much work, I’m all in.

This would be the major issue for Xbox.

Unless Xbox still agree some type of cut for these other stores being on their hardware you could have people which ignore the Windows/Xbox store completely and use Steam indefinitely. I was downloading games on my new Steam Deck at lunch and the store is so much better than Xbox in everyway possible (and the games are often cheaper).

I do think Microsoft are in a very unique position to do this with owning Windows and of course being the biggest games publisher in the world. Even if they only sale their Xbox, Bethesda, Activision & Blizzard games via Steam & Mobile in this new space I’m sure they could still be profitable.

There’s something a little odd about how/why they want to consider being so open, I can’t help but think they are preparing for another big gaming acquisition.

1 Like

The solution seems pretty straight forward to me. The console is still a console in form and function. It would simply use a compatibility layer to run PC code, which should be pretty straight forward considering the OS is based on Windows to begin with.

You would simply connect your store accounts from outside sources like you link your discord or twitter account and it could/would show up in the full library as a tab of available software. You wouldnt buy software from those stores on the console proper.

6 Likes

That would make more sense, restricts payments but provides more access to games.

1 Like

There is even a chance that MS could just move to make Xbox/PC code the same thing. The box just runs PC code with a specific settings profile catered toward the box. It would be a pretty straight forward way working around third party software concern.

1 Like

He addresses it directly in the interview:

“Now, the notion of subsidizing a console — and forcing players to purchase games through the official storefront to help recoup costs — might not make sense.”

There’s more context there too so give them a click (or even better polygon via the Xboxera link at the top).

Certainly implies that at some point they’ll be moving away from a subsidised model.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see them move in that direction plus opening up to other stores to get in front of the competition regulators.

As long as there are lower cost options to address the S market I don’t see it being a major problem.

2 Likes

This would be neat

This too and quite frankly, it should be the goal going forward, having devs make one sku that could be used across all devices, they’d never have to worry about third party support as a PC version existing essentially means an Xbox version does too

4 Likes

I’m excited to see Team Xbox experimenting with Xbox consoles in the future. Giving gamers more value by adding other game stores to their console platform. They tried to be PlayStation Jr for over 20 years and it hasn’t worked out for them globally. If I can get Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S library to carry over, with my Steam, Epic Game Store and GOG library Team Xbox will be revolutionizing the gaming industry like they did with the original Xbox! I also think maybe will have a secret weapon allowing publishers to have their own storefronts and sell their games directly to Xbox customers.

8 Likes

Pretty much exactly what they said they would do over two years ago when they started the ABK acquisition work.

Adapting ahead of regulation: a principled approach to app stores

There is a section in there about how they aimed to bring all of the principles outlined in the article to their console eventually, explaining why some of them couldn’t happen immediately.

5 Likes

Knew I had read an official statement that telegraphed this some time ago but didn’t have the time to find a reference before posting so left it out. Thank you for adding a link as this makes the direction of travel crystal clear.

It’s also clear that if you open up to other stores the subsidisation model can no longer work.

Also we see all the ground work in place already for MS to start adopting the mobile phone model for hardware refresh with their BC efforts.

So will likely see more devices released on a more regular cadence but with backwards compatibility also spread over a larger range of devices meaning customers only have to upgrade at a cadence that suits themselves and there is a range of spec. levels to choose from based on your needs like S21, S21+ or S21 Ultra.

Just like with phones where if there is no value in between a customer may only jump from S21 to S24 as they see little value in moving before that point.

I’d be happy to spend (top end) phone money on a console if I knew it would have long enough software support to justify the cost with the ability to upspec. when I want.

6 Likes

Imagine if it ends up looking something like this, with all the games broken down by platform in a seamless way - that would be pretty awesome!

https://twitter.com/TK0Asante/status/1773117989333701014?t=IZMZtM_3LiT8DOBnCXQYfw&s=19

2 Likes

I love the idea of a native handheld and also the concept of Xbox consoles becoming Living Rooms PC’s.

It be awesome if you could play Xbox native games and have PC storefronts to play pc games as well.

I honestly think the old school Console business model is dead and MS is ahead of the game when it comes to pivoting

6 Likes

I think this would make Xbox perfect (for me). Just hope the lack of subsidies doesn’t push it past $1000

6 Likes

The more I think about it the more surprised I am that they haven’t done it earlier! Especially when you look at the rest of their business and background (Windows & Surface etc).

Microsoft have been publishing games on PC since the 80’s therefore that model predates Xbox.

1 Like

When they rolled out Xbox All Access it was often described as the cellphone model. Extending that approach to hardware makes a lot of sense.

This might also mirror the cellphone model, where buying the hardware outright is quite expensive, but if you get it with a Game Pass subscription committment it becomes more palatable to many.

Just speculation. It’ll be interesting to see what the gaming landscape looks like in a few years when the dust has settled.

1 Like

I think it’s like @Doncabesa has said, gen z/modern gamers are used to being able to play the games they want wherever they want

The concept of buying a specific box for a specific game is archaic

PlayStation were right, they kept fighting crossplay because once a generation grows up being used to it they see how silly the entire setup is for customers as a whole.

2 Likes

My suggestion.: Sell hardware with xbox OS. Enable other store fronts at a one time fee on consumer. Fee revenue shared between xbox and the store front.

1 Like