Phil Spencer tells Polygon he wants PC Storefronts on Xbox

5 Likes

Probably only way we get games MS no longer wants to be associated with, like Galgun Returns.

2 Likes

I think this leaves a bigger question which is, is the new Xbox more PC than console?

I’m terms of both software (Windows Core) and hardware they have been really similar for a while now and it would allow them to to differentiate themselves from Playstation.

6 Likes

Well, going beyond that, Steam on Xbox means it’s the first modern console to just have outright Adult games… :joy:

2 Likes

Which makes me wonder, what’s going to be the catch? It would also allow emulators, and that’s also a NO from MS.

I’d absolutely love this - if anything I’d be begging for more powerful Series consoles / a new next gen just so I can have an even more powerful PC / Xbox combo without the hassle of building / upgrading a PC.

It was a rumour back before the Series launch and I was interested then, now I’m even more excited at the thought as my PC has started aging out but component prices (GPUs especially) have come down only a bit.

It would very likely be enough to get me to forego a Pro (to catch up on missed Sony games) and I’d just wait for the PC versions and use the new Xbox controller that’s meant to have DualSense style features.

It’s very doable given the architecture and OS of the Series consoles, and Steam love Microsoft so would be up for it while Sweeney would bring Epic Store as a way to show how closed ecosystems should open so he can get PlayStation etc to too.

Microsoft would love it too, might mean more Office users and it’ll help ward off any antitrust lawsuits by the USA or Digital Markets Act enforcements by the EU.

I’ve never been much of a handheld gamer, but was looking at Steam Decks etc as a way to have a PC without the effort - MS do this well and it could make Xbox consoles very popular as there’s a load of young players who want PCs but can’t afford them and PC gamers who’d happily use it to play their Steam library on the big living room TV

1 Like

It might also finally kill Core - as why would you buy a game from the Xbox store and pay for multiplayer when you can buy on Steam for same price or less with free multiplayer.

That’d really stress Sony as Plus Essential is a big earner for them if they start being questioned on getting rid of it, while Core seems to be a tiny part of Game Pass subs.

Also Sony would struggle to bully Steam like they did Geforce Now - Gabe isn’t known for responding well to bullies and Steam are big enough Sony would be the ones losing by not being on it

2 Likes

I think it won’t be literally Windows desktop running on the console (but the console will basically be in “Windows mode”), so maybe if the emulators aren’t available on Steam (attempts to bring them to Steam ended with them getting removed) they prob can’t be accessed. You can still get emulators on Xbox with dev mode, even.

1 Like

There’s also a very silly side note to this - if the PSVR2 was made by Sony to work with PC, it’ll most kindly work with SteamVR as that’s the default for most

That installs as a game from Steam basically - so using the USB C on the Series plus SteamVR, you might be able to use PSVR2…

(You’d probably use a different VR in reality as it’s a little overpriced for what it is, but you get my drift - and that this might make VR a possibility on Xbox indirectly)

Xbox only console to play Xbox, PC and PS games?

4 Likes

Would include Steam Deck.

3 Likes

Uh-oh…

I… have a backlog on Steam too.

8 Likes

As every normal person should.

6 Likes

I don’t really care. He basically explained the reasoning. They had closed gardens because the 30% cut, now they percieve market change means it might/will be more profitable to tear these walls down. I mean it’s basically no different then the reason Epic/MS and the US government are sueing Apple/Google to open up their platforms.

5 Likes

If this somehow happens, the platform X company is definitely gonna do some stuff to not make their games work on it aren’t they? :valle:

4 Likes

It’s only a positive for me…

Somewhere I can play my Steam library (which includes PS games), my Xbox library and get GamePass? Bargain.

3 Likes

Same, I don’t care much for PC gaming, but hey, I’ll redeem free Epic Store games if they work on my Xbox

5 Likes

Only way is if they don’t release on PC storefronts.

5 Likes

They are working on their own PC storefront right? They will likely just move away from Steam.

1 Like

Everyone who left Steam has come back because it’s too difficult to sell on your own client. Sony would be mad to try it tbh

11 Likes